France passion (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
I've driven in France once with the van, but we will shortly be on our first actual touring from place to place trip! Yay, formidable! Cough. Yes well anyway, I'd been thinking of a CCP aire for our first night I've the france passion map in front of me but the books are on the van, I see various green and red blobs in the Somme and Saine-Maritime areas, can you remind me does one just turn up and hope they have vacancies, or does one phone ahead or not according to what the particular book entries say? If one if meant to phone and cannot get a reply can one still turn up? How do you tell if a farm is 'full'?

Reactions: DBK

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
Turn up. This time of the year they are unlikely to be full. Being a farm/vineyard etc. they will always find a space I'm sure.

OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
Great, thanks very much.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I would check what the entry says in the book before bowling up. The vast majority won't mind you just turning up and expect you to do just that. But there are a few expect a call or want you to arrive after a certain time. Only a few, but you will want to keep on their good side. :)

Remember, most don't have service facilities.

Lots of aires available too, I use Campercontact mostly but Park4Night is an alternative, I use it occasionally if CC can't find me anywhere in a specific spot.

OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
Thanks John, this first France Passion if we go there rather than a CCP will be our first 'aire'. The apps I've campcoccontact now, partk4night and also searchforsites which google says won't run on my tablet but I like the web version. I saw another campsite finder website somewhere with contour lines but can't remember where I saw that (I'm looking for cycling for softies).

Oct 16, 2018
CHESTERFIELD DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
PILOTE
Exp
Long enough
Usually phoning ahead for France Passion sites is a waste of time because unless you speak and understand the French language ( and often colloquial) neither you nor they are going to understand what is asked or said.
Just turn up - we always have and never been turned away.

?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I would just use Google Maps QUOTE="marc4242, post: 3499007, member: 26431"]
Thanks John, this first France Passion if we go there rather than a CCP will be our first 'aire'. The apps I've campcoccontact now, partk4night and also searchforsites which google says won't run on my tablet but I like the web version. I saw another campsite finder website somewhere with contour lines but can't remember where I saw that (I'm looking for cycling for softies).
[/QUOTE]
I would just use Google Maps and select the Terrain map which shows contours if the amount of zoom is suitable. CamperContact also uses Google maps but sadly the Terrain option isn't enabled.

But it isn't hard to find the flat bits in France -- there are a lot of them. :) Also of course some very hilly bits but you shouldn't find yourself in those by accident. You can see them coming from a long way away. :)

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
If you know where you are headed give us a rough idea and a few of us will be able to let you know the good ones.

Just been on the one at ile de lorean and absolute belter. Right up there with lac de st croix

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
I think the only ones where you are expected to phone in advance are where they offer a table d’hote meal - they may need to get supplies in.

OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
Thanks everyone. We've now been to our first France Passion, which was easy to find and it makes me appreciate the little places off the big roads. We're parked up in a very mizzy Honfleur and en route to Bayeux.

OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
Incidentally there are some lovely looking especially A class vehicles all around us on the Aires we've stayed at, and I see why people are so positive about using Aires. We found one at Le Touquet but they wanted €17 for what was essentially a bit of road space so I drove on from that, otherwise the Aires have been good.

Oct 16, 2018
CHESTERFIELD DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
PILOTE
Exp
Long enough
[QUOTE="marc4242, post: 3509659, member:g pp We found one at Le Touquet but they wanted €17 for what was essentially a bit of road space so I drove on from that, otherwise the Aires have been good.
[/QUOTE]

The ones at Le Touquet are out and out robbery - I believe water and EHU are extra - but the sites get filled so some people must like paying through the nose.

We are on a Aire by the Dordogne river and it's €6 a night (free during the day) - we paid last night but the machine isn't working tonight - oh dear !

:france: :france: :france: :france:

OP
OP
ToBoldlyGo
Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
Thanks for your videos Keith, I'm not at ease (or not au fait, eg we managed to insert credit card 'chip-last' today at a toll) with continental touring yet so it's useful to hear and the experiences of others.

May 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Fendt 500 Mobil
Exp
Since 2018, previous caravan owner for 15 years
We are looking to drive to Spain on boxing day and heading for just outside Benidorm. Has anyone done this route before and are there any recommended stop overs? I have all the usual 'books' i.e. Camperstop, Acsi, France Passion but wondered if there was any experience of this journey from the group. Any help greatly appreciated.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back