Free Member
Jun 7, 2017
anglesey
Funster No
MH
autotrail arapaho
Exp
since 1992
Joined France Passion after reading about it on the Net is there any one that as used these stop overs and if so are they any good ? seems to good to be true.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
We've used several and they have almost all been very good. We do like to sample the wine (or whatever) and buy a few bottles, so it's perfect for us. Parking up in a beautiful location amongst the vines, drinking the wine you've just bought, is brilliant. Of course, they're not all like that. One was just a tarmac car park at a biscuit shop, close to a busy road, so we chose not to stay.

OP
OP
P

philfish

Free Member
Jun 7, 2017
anglesey
Funster No
MH
autotrail arapaho
Exp
since 1992
Sorry didn't realize MikeD as already done a thread on France passion.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
They are very varied in what they offer. Many are a bit out of the way and along narrow roads. Can be difficult to find, but discovery is often rewarding. Some may encourage you to buy something, others do not appear interested.
Hope you enjoy exploring them.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We used some a few years ago around the Dordogne, Rhône and Provence, all vineyards and all excellent.
Unfortunately, for the next couple of years, we couldn’t find any that were near where we wanted to go.
But, I joined again this year, there seem to be so many more now covering a lot more of France.
We’re looking forward to trying some on our next 3 month trip down south.

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Joined France Passion after reading about it on the Net is there any one that as used these stop overs and if so are they any good ? seems to good to be true.
As others have said, great - and there’s an equivalent scheme in the UK, Britstops. Beware, though - they can work out dearer than sites - especially in the Champagne region!

OP
OP
P

philfish

Free Member
Jun 7, 2017
anglesey
Funster No
MH
autotrail arapaho
Exp
since 1992
Solwaybuggier why does it work out dearer at some of the stopovers.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Had a tasting at Alain Geoffroy a couple of weeks ago didn't stay there but its free elec hook ups and taps on the pitches . Found by asking at the tourist office . In France Passion I think but you don't need to be in to stay. Very interesting corkscrew museum (4000 of them!)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
if you havnt had it before or if you are new to touring france , its excellent especialy now they put the co ords in the book, they used to be a devil to find as they they only put vague directions in the book and you could go for miles and then never find it, but if you are after real france and french people its the thing you need , but after a couple of years and discovering how easy aires are the novelty wears off a bit and as been said can be very expensive if you get carried away in the shops.
for a couple of years cant be beat(y)(y)(y)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
if you havnt had it before or if you are new to touring france , its excellent especialy now they put the co ords in the book, they used to be a devil to find as they they only put vague directions in the book and you could go for miles and then never find it, but if you are after real france and french people its the thing you need , but after a couple of years and discovering how easy aires are the novelty wears off a bit and as been said can be very expensive if you get carried away in the shops.
for a couple of years cant be beat(y)(y)(y)
We had it just one year before the co-ords were published and thats what made us decide not to bother

Jul 21, 2011
Up’t North West
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
I know you should but do you really need to join to use the scheme to stay or can you visit the locations then ask if they mind if you stay for the night?
Colin

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I know you should but do you really need to join to use the scheme to stay or can you visit the locations then ask if they mind if you stay for the night?
Colin
Some of the sites are also listed on Campercontact and you can just turn up, this was how we found our first one. :) But I suspect some places will look for a current sticker on your windscreen. There won't be one universal response - they are French after all . :)

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Colin
I don't think any of the places we stayed at this year asked to see our membership card or looked for the sticker. But its pretty cheap to join so I don't mind paying as I'd hate the scheme to close down due to lack of paying members.

I think we bought something at all but one of the places we stayed - but we'd have bought wine from somewhere else if we hadn't bought it from them, and they were all reasonably priced, so I don't consider that it really cost us any extra in the long run.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Colin
we have had it for five years in a row then gave up on it for a year then had it again last year but we havnt had it this year as we dont use them much anymore , but will take last years book and maybe try one or two(y);):)

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Only ever been checked in the excellent truffle orchard about 3 kms north of lac de st croix.
Blanquefort eguisheim and the one above were all outstanding stopovers.
The ones at salt places were real dogs.
Ostrich and venison farms proved superb and the pigeon farm where we asked for a couple of pigeons and he just went off and killed them about 20 yards from us and was rolling them in newspaper as he walked back towards us.
You ought to try it for one year

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
cant think of all the places we have been and only once asked for the book and that was one that had a proper campsite joined on , 20 euros without the book.
ostrich, mussel, buffalo, goose, duck, milk, goat, apple, mustard, peanut, just a few of the farms we have been on plus loads of vineyards, cafes, museams. and places where you had no idea what they do as you never see anyone.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
One vineyard we went to gave us 24 different wines to sample, but no idea how many bottles we purchased.
You may not save in the long run but will be past caring.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
One vineyard we went to gave us 24 different wines to sample, but no idea how many bottles we purchased.
You may not save in the long run but will be past caring.
you wont save anything as opposed to free aires, but the ambience is well worth the stuff you may buy, but saying that we have probably been on as many where we havnt purchased anything as the ones we have, no one seems bothered whether you do or not, most just seem glad to see you.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Some of the sites are also listed on Campercontact and you can just turn up, this was how we found our first one. :) But I suspect some places will look for a current sticker on your windscreen. There won't be one universal response - they are French after all . :)

And that’s actually becoming a problem, some people are visiting a FP stop and then listing it as a free overnight stop on CC and SfS etc which is not in the sprit of the scheme and could eventually lead to its downfall.
I do think they should be more stringent in checking your Membership Card otherwise more people will eventually turn up with no intention of buying anything.
I am aware you are not obligated to buy but again it’s not really in the spirit of the scheme not to.
Personally, I enjoy FP immensely and have never really had a bad experience I always make a purchase where possible and some of the people that own them are a delight and so welcoming.

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
And that’s actually becoming a problem, some people are visiting a FP stop and then listing it as a free overnight stop on CC and SfS etc which is not in the sprit of the scheme and could eventually lead to its downfall.
I agree - and this doesn’t just affect FP. The Search for Sites app also lists Brit Stops hosts, (the FP equivalent scheme in the UK.) When I contacted the SfS owner to query this, his response was that it gave BS publicity! SfS is a parasitic organisation (however superficially attractive it may seem) and should not be encouraged!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I agree - and this doesn’t just affect FP. The Search for Sites app also lists Brit Stops hosts, (the FP equivalent scheme in the UK.) When I contacted the SfS owner to query this, his response was that it gave BS publicity! SfS is a parasitic organisation (however superficially attractive it may seem) and should not be encouraged!
Is it sfs fault if b.s. and fp don't ask for the membership card

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Is it sfs fault if b.s. and fp don't ask for the membership card
They shouldn’t list sites that require membership - and BS specifically ask that details of hosts aren’t listed. If SfS had any integrity they’d respect this. Be interesting to see how SfS responded if their information was copied wholesale by another site or app.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+

This is how the Internet works it allows certain people with no particular talent to breed off others and prosper and then they start telling everyone how it should be done.
BB and FP have a greater infrastructure than the likes of SFS they have a scheme they produce a Book etc etc, they liase with the Stops listed this involvement isn’t really appreciated by

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back