France Passion - 6 out of 6 Ain't Bad (1 Viewer)

Jun 9, 2016
L'Isle Jourdain, 86150 France
Funster No
MH
C Class I think
Exp
Just bought an Eriba FT 580
I've read a few posts where the value and experience of France Passion was called into question but personally I won't hear a word against it :).

We visited 6 places while doing our MH test run and only had good experiences, met some great people, tasted and bought loads of the most marvellous wines, and had a couple of cracking table d'hôte meals.

Maybe we just have the luck of the devil but 6 out of 6 isn't a bad score :D.

Here are the places we stayed and the reviews we left on the FP site:

43450 BLESLE
Auberge de Margaridou

This was the wettest day of the trip and so we were looking for a table d'hôte and we definitely made the right choice.

Very nice welcome - we hadn't reserved but they still managed to fit us in for dinner.

The camper area is ok as long as you spend some time tweaking the level but it is the dinner that makes this stopover stand out. It's a proper, traditional table d'hôte with a communal table (there were 10 of us altogether including French and Belgian) where you got served 4 courses. No menu, you get what you get which is how we intend to operate in our b&b so we picked up some good tips. Wine is included (and it was really good) as in coffee.

Overall a great experience.

84810 AUBIGNAN
Domaine du Vas - Gontard Frères

Another busy working vineyard with some excellent wines available for tasting and purchase.

There is a choice of being on hard standing under some plane trees or moving into a field alongside. We chose the former for some shade which was a bit of a mistake as the crickets in the trees are very, very noisy. The other camper there moved once the sun became bearable and in retrospect we should have followed suit.

Very welcoming and we got to borrow their lovely dogs for a while :)

Highly recommend the Cotes du Ventoux red - we bought 6 but they didn't make it home.

34570 MONTARNAUD
Mas des Tentations

This is a little gem but it wasn't too obvious where we were supposed to go and it took a little while to find someone to ask - but it is a working vineyard so to be expected really. Having got parked up it was straight into tasting the wine which are absolutely superb. They can only be purchased at the vineyard so we are already planning our monthly visit to stock the b&b as this will be the house wine.

The area for the campers is among the vines and there is lots of wildlife including some vocal frogs.

Brigitte was very nice and informative and she even came across when we were getting ready to leave the next morning and took our rubbish away.

69460 BLACE
Domaine des Maisons Neuves

Amazing. On arrival we were invited to a party where two new Chevalier de Beaujolais were inducted into the order. Lots of food and really excellent wines. The owner is one of the friendliest, knowledgable, and nicest men we've ever come across. It was a great evening, very socialable and with Karen getting to dress up in the regions traditional outfit it was our best stop. The rouge is a great Beaujolais - highly recommended.

86300 VALDIVIENNE
Elevage Bisons du Poitou

Lovely welcome from the farmer and his wife. A short walk to see the bison is well worth while. The toilet block is out of action but the site is clean and shaded and mostly level. Note - on our visit the toilet block was out of order - looked like it was being demolished actually.

23110 EVAUX LES BAINS
Domaine de la Couture

Very welcoming with great facilities. It also operates as a glamping site with some up market cabins and MHers can use the facilities such as the nice toilet and shower block. The Auberge gave us one of the best meals ever, all cooked wonderfully by Madame Chamberot. The cheeses course included their own goats cheese which is sublime.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Sounds wonderful. Only been to France once so far so will have to try a few FP sites next time.

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Always found FP to be excellant as well

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Never seen a bad one, the only gripe I have had about them in the past was finding the damn things, but now they have started putting coords in the book that has solved that, they are still well off the beaten track but at least you can ,now find them(y):)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks for the reminder, we stayed at a FP lavender farm in Provence on our last trip. It was excellent and they were very welcoming even though we were not FP members. :)

Just checked the website, looks like €29 for the book plus €4 postage. We are going back to France this September so we would be able to use it - and a good reason to brush up my French!

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I did ask, before the Bagwell Farm rally for anyone attending to bring a copy of FP for us to have a look at for our evaluation. Unfortunately no one was able to oblige.

Is there a Funster who would be prepared to allow us a peep.
I'm more than prepared to pay for postage and you can be assured, you would get the book back.
Send a PM if you can help.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I did ask, before the Bagwell Farm rally for anyone attending to bring a copy of FP for us to have a look at for our evaluation. Unfortunately no one was able to oblige.

Is there a Funster who would be prepared to allow us a peep.
I'm more than prepared to pay for postage and you can be assured, you would get the book back.
Send a PM if you can help.
I presume you have seen the webpage, if not
https://www.france-passion.com/en/motorhomers/stopover-map
We have had fp for four years but have not joined this year , because most never ask for your membership and quite happy for you to stay, and most of the stops can be found on searchforsites.co.uk

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
We have had fp for four years but have not joined this year , because most never ask for your membership and quite happy for you to stay, and most of the stops can be found on searchforsites.co.uk

Thanks for that @chaser.
I have seen the map and I appreciate that there are umpteen sites scattered the length and breadth of France, however, that was not my reason for requesting a physical look at the book. I want to evaluate the book and it's contents.

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
I've read a few posts where the value and experience of France Passion was called into question but personally I won't hear a word against it :).

We visited 6 places while doing our MH test run and only had good experiences, met some great people, tasted and bought loads of the most marvellous wines, and had a couple of cracking table d'hôte meals.

Maybe we just have the luck of the devil but 6 out of 6 isn't a bad score :D.

Here are the places we stayed and the reviews we left on the FP site:

43450 BLESLE
Auberge de Margaridou

This was the wettest day of the trip and so we were looking for a table d'hôte and we definitely made the right choice.

Very nice welcome - we hadn't reserved but they still managed to fit us in for dinner.

The camper area is ok as long as you spend some time tweaking the level but it is the dinner that makes this stopover stand out. It's a proper, traditional table d'hôte with a communal table (there were 10 of us altogether including French and Belgian) where you got served 4 courses. No menu, you get what you get which is how we intend to operate in our b&b so we picked up some good tips. Wine is included (and it was really good) as in coffee.

Overall a great experience.

84810 AUBIGNAN
Domaine du Vas - Gontard Frères

Another busy working vineyard with some excellent wines available for tasting and purchase.

There is a choice of being on hard standing under some plane trees or moving into a field alongside. We chose the former for some shade which was a bit of a mistake as the crickets in the trees are very, very noisy. The other camper there moved once the sun became bearable and in retrospect we should have followed suit.

Very welcoming and we got to borrow their lovely dogs for a while :)

Highly recommend the Cotes du Ventoux red - we bought 6 but they didn't make it home.

34570 MONTARNAUD
Mas des Tentations

This is a little gem but it wasn't too obvious where we were supposed to go and it took a little while to find someone to ask - but it is a working vineyard so to be expected really. Having got parked up it was straight into tasting the wine which are absolutely superb. They can only be purchased at the vineyard so we are already planning our monthly visit to stock the b&b as this will be the house wine.

The area for the campers is among the vines and there is lots of wildlife including some vocal frogs.

Brigitte was very nice and informative and she even came across when we were getting ready to leave the next morning and took our rubbish away.

69460 BLACE
Domaine des Maisons Neuves

Amazing. On arrival we were invited to a party where two new Chevalier de Beaujolais were inducted into the order. Lots of food and really excellent wines. The owner is one of the friendliest, knowledgable, and nicest men we've ever come across. It was a great evening, very socialable and with Karen getting to dress up in the regions traditional outfit it was our best stop. The rouge is a great Beaujolais - highly recommended.

86300 VALDIVIENNE
Elevage Bisons du Poitou

Lovely welcome from the farmer and his wife. A short walk to see the bison is well worth while. The toilet block is out of action but the site is clean and shaded and mostly level. Note - on our visit the toilet block was out of order - looked like it was being demolished actually.

23110 EVAUX LES BAINS
Domaine de la Couture

Very welcoming with great facilities. It also operates as a glamping site with some up market cabins and MHers can use the facilities such as the nice toilet and shower block. The Auberge gave us one of the best meals ever, all cooked wonderfully by Madame Chamberot. The cheeses course included their own goats cheese which is sublime.
What are the prices /site fees as sounds interesting?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
What are the prices /site fees as sounds interesting?
No site fees, they are free, can get expensive if you buy everything they have on offer, although we have never been under any pressure to buy and on lots of them you don't even see anyone.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks for that @chaser.
I have seen the map and I appreciate that there are umpteen sites scattered the length and breadth of France, however, that was not my reason for requesting a physical look at the book. I want to evaluate the book and it's contents.
It might be easier for someone to scan a few pages and then upload them here. I'll do it when mine arrives!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
ldv trip 002.JPG

This is the first one we ever stayed at, in an orchard and the park was round the back of this shed, never found anyone here at all:)

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Love FP, stayed on some crackers. Vineyards, Buffalo farms,Organic wine producers, all seem eager to please.
There is one just along the river from Malleriaye sur Seine if the aire is full, might just try it for a change next anyway.
Phil

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We have never used them so can't evaluate .. but as most are vineyards never had the inclination.. A bit like a Muslim visiting a pig farm .. :LOL: and from what I gather, most are in remote areas, not near towns or villages..

Aires and Municipals suit us fine... you could spend a lifetime camping in France and never visit them all ..

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Thanks to a Funster (you know who you are), we've got the promise of a book in the post.

Isn't this Forum wonderful.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
It might be easier for someone to scan a few pages and then upload them here. I'll do it when mine arrives!

Thanks for the kind offer but a Funster has offered to send me an old book.
It might just be me but I need to feel, touch, read and evaluate before I commit.

The last time I committed without doing the above was over 40yrs ago and I'm still suffering:whistle::whistle::whistle:
(If she see's this I'm dead)

OP
OP
SwissBob
Jun 9, 2016
L'Isle Jourdain, 86150 France
Funster No
MH
C Class I think
Exp
Just bought an Eriba FT 580

While it is an excellent search facility, I couldn't find any of the above stops using searchforsites. Just saying. One did come up in the search but the map didn't show it's location.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
We have been members for about 11 years (tenth year free) and think it very good value as if you buy / renew early the cost is reduced so is probably cheaper than one night's stay at a site. The French are very proud of their country and local area, this omes over when you visit a FP and the wines are better than supermarket, red sancerre anyone?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just ordered mine, 33 euros with so called "express" delivery which they say takes a week or more. :)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
While it is an excellent search facility, I couldn't find any of the above stops using searchforsites. Just saying. One did come up in the search but the map didn't show it's location.
Stand corrected mate:( looks as if he's removed them, shame.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back