France or Spain for 2 weeks in January? (1 Viewer)

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Now you have set your mind to going. Consider ferry Portsmouth to Santander. So that’s your first day. Bump along to San Sebastian. Then back into France towards Toulouse then onto carcassone then onto the med coast towards Sete and the mussel lagoons. Head up towards the lower alps consider if it’s bright and cold the Verdon Gorge. From there stay low and then head to Annessy. Drop down to Geneva. Around Switzerland then out at Basel drop into Freiburg and Strasbourg then head to Metz then Brussels then stop at Yepes for Menim gate last post. This will be a good cold winter tour on good maintained roads

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Now you have set your mind to going. Consider ferry Portsmouth to Santander. So that’s your first day. Bump along to San Sebastian. Then back into France towards Toulouse then onto carcassone then onto the med coast towards Sete and the mussel lagoons. Head up towards the lower alps consider if it’s bright and cold the Verdon Gorge. From there stay low and then head to Annessy. Drop down to Geneva. Around Switzerland then out at Basel drop into Freiburg and Strasbourg then head to Metz then Brussels then stop at Yepes for Menim gate last post. This will be a good cold winter tour on good maintained roads

Just looked at portsmouth santander and theres no crossings available with cabins so thats a big no no. I don't really fancy spending that sort of time on a ferry anyway to be honest.

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Pretty sure we are 99% committed to france only now. Hopefully the south east coast on the med but dependant on weather obviously.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Well if you look from Calais the run in reverse of my suggestion would give you some beautiful snow capped mountains but fully accessible with the van. Good boots and ski coats. If you are skiers can recommend a great site not far from Annacy/Geneva in Le Grand Bonnard. Whatever or wherever you go. As long as you are warm you are going to have a good time.

Last edited:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
If you want sunshine and a holiday, I'd wait until nearer the time and look at the long range weather forecasts... I think that the best chance of sunshine is in the South of Spain / Portugal and it is a long way to drive for 2 weeks so I'd fly down rather than drive. It would be cheaper and more relaxing. However, if the forecast suggested S France wouldn't be warm enough, I'd consider driving to Province or similar.

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
If you want sunshine and a holiday, I'd wait until nearer the time and look at the long range weather forecasts... I think that the best chance of sunshine is in the South of Spain / Portugal and it is a long way to drive for 2 weeks so I'd fly down rather than drive. It would be cheaper and more relaxing. However, if the forecast suggested S France wouldn't be warm enough, I'd consider driving to Province or similar.
Don't worry I dont want sunshine specifically, I just want a holiday in the motorhome so flying is out. Im waiting until nearer as it's gonna be January, but if the forecast is crap that time of year we'll still do france but just bimble about one day at a time (y)

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Look this site up if you are touring just the northern coast of France and are nearby.
ACSI. Camp Site. Les Plages Beg-Leguer.
Stayed here some years back with a c/van. Would go back again now if in the area,not to far off the Pink granite coast ?.

Sep 22, 2020
Beaumont-cum-Moze
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Burford
Exp
A class American RVs and C class over 50 years
Right, I've previously posted about a fortnights suggestion in January here and got some replies that pushed me out of my comfort zone and now am ready to step right outside of it and consider a circumnavigation of France in January and even found out about acsi cards etc .....

HOWEVER...

Today, on a facebook forum, I've seen many talking about Spain being the preferred option for this time of year as French Aires seem to shut off their water, the weathers a lot wetter, etc etc.

Now, Im not after super warm weather, Im from the NW of Ireland (where you know its summer because the rain is warmer) and the wife is from Manchester (where they seem to think the letter H doesn't exist, oh and it rains a lot there too, lol) but I guess Im trying to see what would be the best bang for my buck experience wise as we've never done the continent and only had the MH since June.

Whichever we do we would take the tunnel, I've no problem driving through France to get to Spain, rather that than a ferry for a day to Santander etc.

So, anyone got any particular thoughts about France v Spain in January for a fortnight? C'mon, help a funster out? :cool::cool::cool:
Spain is better during January as you say but you have To go south as north and the middle of Spain can be cold .Make sure you check the weather on your route as there can be a lot of snow around Burgos and Madrid that will require you to have snow chains before the police will let you continue on your journey.Most people route down the coast from Barcelona.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Spain is better during January as you say but you have To go south as north and the middle of Spain can be cold .Make sure you check the weather on your route as there can be a lot of snow around Burgos and Madrid that will require you to have snow chains before the police will let you continue on your journey.Most people route down the coast from Barcelona.
3 long, expensive driving days down to the south of Spain and 3 back would make a tiring trip for a fortnight.

Sep 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
BurstnervT Star
Exp
8 years
Spain is a bit of a haul in 2 weeks but our experience of France in winter is AVOID unless you don't need EHU or water; everything is closed even the ones kind people post as open!

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We've been to Northern France several times in December/January and never had a problem finding EHU and water. Yes there will be some with the water turned off but not all of them. Even if they are what's wrong with using bottled water - it's cheap enough in the supermarkets.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Not sure if this site is any help. When doing our research I found a number of the Municipal Sites stayed open all but with varying services offered.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Having travelled down to the med for a fortnight in October twice, I would do it again, without hesitation.
The weather may not be perfect but it should be way better than it is here and better than northern France. I would just keep an eye on Ventusky incase it’s nice around Bordeaux and plan your exact route a couple of days out.
You can also hit Catalunia going they eat but if you want go further south than Valencia in Spain I think you’d be better on the ferry.

Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
For two weeks in January, for a great place to visit, FLY to southern Spain or Portugal.
Hire a car, very cheap as off season, and explore.
It takes us from Lockerbie.
1 day to Dover, or any southern port, all within 25 miles of each other from our location.
2 days to get into northern Spain.
2 days to get to coast of southern Spain/Portugal.
driving at least 6/7 hours a day.
then add in your stops and the days done.
so 5 days there, 5 days back
The overnight ferry to Bilbao, works for us, not to much driving down to the south Coast of Spain.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
The overnight ferry to Bilbao, works for us, not to much driving down to the south Coast of Spain.
The OP has looked for ferry to sSantander but boats showing full fir accommodation fir their dates do I think they are committed via Calais making an easy trip to Spain a bit to far.

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Spain is a bit of a haul in 2 weeks but our experience of France in winter is AVOID unless you don't need EHU or water; everything is closed even the ones kind people post as open!

Do you mean campsites / Aires or do you mean everything like businesses / touristy things to see and do?

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
We've been to Northern France several times in December/January and never had a problem finding EHU and water. Yes there will be some with the water turned off but not all of them. Even if they are what's wrong with using bottled water - it's cheap enough in the supermarkets.
May be wanting to be a real motorhome owner and want it free. Haha

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We have been sitting out on Christmas Day having a glass of wine so it’s not always cold. A stop on way to Brittany is Rugles everything free 2 minutes walk through park to shopping every shop open Christmas Day but closed Boxing Day.

Mar 6, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix
Exp
13 years
We are heading down to Cadiz, travelling down the west coast of France, Burgos, Salamanca during the 2nd week of January and was surprised at the requirement for snow chains before the police let you continue your journey if the weather is bad.
Our Adria Matrix ( with a comfortmatic gearbox ) has the standard 16'' Alloy wheels with Michelin Agulis tyres and I have no experience of driving in snow.
Are snow socks allowed or do I have to buy snow chains ?.
Also does anyone have experience of this part of the journey ? The bit I fear is from leaving the coast at the Spanish border ( St Jean De Luz ) to Burgos and south to the point where snow disruption is unlikely ( Salamanca perhaps ? ).
I have no experience of crossing this mountainous area in winter and any advice from the more experienced would be very welcome.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We are heading down to Cadiz, travelling down the west coast of France, Burgos, Salamanca during the 2nd week of January and was surprised at the requirement for snow chains before the police let you continue your journey if the weather is bad.
Our Adria Matrix ( with a comfortmatic gearbox ) has the standard 16'' Alloy wheels with Michelin Agulis tyres and I have no experience of driving in snow.
Also does anyone have experience of this part of the journey ? The bit I fear is from leaving the coast at the Spanish border ( St Jean De Luz ) to Burgos and south to the point where snow disruption is unlikely ( Salamanca perhaps ? ).
I have no experience of crossing this mountainous area in winter and any advice from the more experienced would be very welcome.
Cross on the med.Busby.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
There is actually no compulsion to carry snow chains (or snow socks although I have no experience with them) in Spain. We have been doing almost exactly that route for the last 10 years and have never been stopped by snow-closed roads. That said Spain apparently is very good at clearing things quickly so you probably wouldn't be held up for long - they have these huge lorry parks at intervals should it become necessary - although, yes, you would likely be stopped until the road was clear. As for driving in heavy snow, TBH I wouldn't attempt it unless you have at least winter tyres (which we do).
Just keep your eyes on the weather forecast - we use the Ventusky app which we've found is very reliable - and be prepared to change your plans/route. I would say, though, that Madrid area is often very wintery in January so best avoid.

Dec 6, 2019
Cambridge, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Plus 670
Exp
We’re new. Bought first MH March 2021
Here in Morbihan the winter months can be very pleasant, there is a very warm micro climate on the Morbihan coast. We have palm trees and bananas growing in the gardens. The aires are open all year.

Look up Port Louis, Locmiquelic area. (Where I live) thru to Vannes.

The Petite Mer de Gâvres View attachment 531321
I thought the blurb about micro climates was estate agents tosh, but in 18 years , never had a frost!
This looks and sounds wonderful. We’re planning a month-long trip in February. Can you recommend sites that will be open, preferable close to the sea or lakes/rivers?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
There's a Camping Car Park aire at Conleau with a bus stop outside that takes you to Vannes centre.
Vanessa is lovely,,in the summer..Josselin nearby is also worth a visit..two aires there.BUSBY.

Reactions: f6c

Whisky16

Free Member
Oct 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Stardream
Have read all the above and thanks to all of your opinions - really helpful. We will be travelling through France to Southern Spain in January with 3 dogs in tow so the Morbihan to Vannes just up our street 👍

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
We are thinking of Spain for a month in Jan or Feb, but having looked at the costs and time, we can rent an apartment with sea views for a month for less than a campsite! Flights are peanuts compared to ferry, fuel & tolls. We love our van but not that much!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back