France or Spain for 2 weeks in January? (1 Viewer)

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Just an example:
We plan a couple of weeks in France in September.
We’ll drive fairly quickly to the Cherbourg peninsular. We’ll take 2 days to get there - we could easily do it in one but I want to check out an aire and nearby pharmacies near the Seine in preparation for the COVID related return- then have a slow wander on the way back to the tunnel.
By the time we’ve investigated the Invasion Beaches, the towns of William the Conquer, some of the channel ports (Honfleur is a favourite), had a couple of glasses of wine whilst watching the fishing boats (wonder where they’re going !!!!!) and maybe had a plat du jour or two. I reckon we can be back near Calais without driving for more than an hour at a time and staying on Aires throughout.
Any further suggestion gratefully received.

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
In that case I suggest you get a copy of DK Eyewitness Travel Back Roads of France
thanks you for that suggestion, just bought the latest version on amazon ekindle and already downloaded! Never done a kindle book before but pretty cool.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We used to regularly go to Brittany in December and only used Aires for the whole trip. Never had a problem getting water or emptying. Just remember to fill up whenever you can. If you do find you run out then supermarkets sell water very cheaply. We're planning on going to Brittany again in December - was supposed to be going September but hospital appointments have put a stop to that!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
That's an excellent thread with a lot of very useful info on stops.
Did you plan every single stop or just followed the route but only planned the stops a day or so ahead?
I just do it a day or so in advance. I have the general route in my head already worked out from earlier planning but normally we only choose the next stop the previous evening. However, if the wine is opened early we may not choose until the following morning. :)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Until you have driven across them, you don't realise how big France and Spain are.

If you like it cold and wet France if you like it warm and mostly sunny Spain, by the way both will be bloody cold at night.
Think VERY cold is a more accurate description of winter weather in many areas of inland France..BUSBY.

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Think VERY cold is a more accurate description of winter weather in many areas of inland France..BUSBY.
Might have to stick to the west coast then :(

Oct 5, 2021
Tropical Skelmorlie
Funster No
MH
Globecar 5.4 Shine
Exp
Since 2013
We too are considering the South of France this winter but are a bit concerned about Aires and campsites being closed, as we would need campsites for showers and regular water filling (have a 35 litre tank, although that's only used for washing).

We do use CampingCarPark, but would there be sufficient campsites open? Spain would be a possibility as we'll be away for long enough, but I would prefer a relatively empty France.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
We used two campsites before arriving on the Mediterranean coast Yesterday. First closed on 1st October, 2nd on 4th. The site we’re on at the moment closes on 16th October.

The one we’re moving to on Friday closes at the end of October I think. If you go on Search for Sites you can find which are open. (y)

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
If you want to go , go for two weeks, I’ve done it a few times and thoroughly enjoyed the trip, and the stay in Spain. If we leave north devon Saturday morning we are in Benicarlo Spain , via euro tunnel Monday afternoon. If you want to do it, just do it

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
I have to admit I was originally thinking spain but thought it might be too much for only 2 weeks?

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Depends on how much you want the sun. It must be two full days driving to, and then back from Spain, plus the cost of fuel. Then how far are you going into Spain, knowing you’ve got to do it to return. France will be chilly, possibly cold, but still better weather than the UK. So as I see it you get 1 week in Spain and use lots of fuel or 2 weeks in France just plodding about.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Well in your shoes I would aim for the Med. as said, check weather a couple of days in advance. You could just be lucky - friends in Marseille often have breakfast on their balcony on Christmas Day.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Last year in Feb we only had 3 weeks so only got as far a South West France. Took us 3 days to get down there from Dieppe. Weather was good 16 to 20 °.
On our way there at the moment has taken us over a week so far should be there tomorrow & will probably carry onto Spain but we have 6½ weeks this time.

Sep 15, 2018
Funster No
MH
Self build
Exp
Since 2009
In the Costa Brava camping les medes in Estartit is open all year. Two overnight stops on the way down and a two day stop return gives you 10days in Spain. The weather is a bit of a gamble at that time of year!
it is 800 miles from Calais to the costa brava.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
One winter we stopped in France on the aire at Biaritz for 5 weeks, everyone was coming home from Spain and Portugal because it was so wet, 😯 it wasn't so bad it certainly made us fit cycling and walking. 😁

Although living in Spain most of the time it's lovely in the winter, 😉 about every 20 years you get snow on the beach for a couple of hours, and when it rains it all comes down at once, 🙄 two or three days it's gone. 😁

Many years ago I drove from Suffolk to Ramsgate caught the old Sallyline ferry ⛴ straight off the boat and we was in Italy before we parked up for a sleep, 😯 but I do remember I slept alot that holiday. :Eeek: :rofl: Bob.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
Right, I've previously posted about a fortnights suggestion in January here and got some replies that pushed me out of my comfort zone and now am ready to step right outside of it and consider a circumnavigation of France in January and even found out about acsi cards etc .....

HOWEVER...

Today, on a facebook forum, I've seen many talking about Spain being the preferred option for this time of year as French Aires seem to shut off their water, the weathers a lot wetter, etc etc.

Now, Im not after super warm weather, Im from the NW of Ireland (where you know its summer because the rain is warmer) and the wife is from Manchester (where they seem to think the letter H doesn't exist, oh and it rains a lot there too, lol) but I guess Im trying to see what would be the best bang for my buck experience wise as we've never done the continent and only had the MH since June.

Whichever we do we would take the tunnel, I've no problem driving through France to get to Spain, rather that than a ferry for a day to Santander etc.

So, anyone got any particular thoughts about France v Spain in January for a fortnight? C'mon, help a funster out? :cool::cool::cool:
A little too far IMHO for 2weeks you’ll need the 2weeks to recover from the 12hour day driving sessions to get to Spain. I appreciate that you may only have 2wks but I’ve driven to Spain, Morocco and further East, more times than I can remember, but I wouldn’t even contemplate Spain if I only had a fortnight....just my view..

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
It all depends on how much you like driving! On our first m/h trip abroad we covered a lot of ground in 10 days, attempting to see a lot of places (actually I was trying to show the wife many of the places I visited as a coach driver).
We got home and asked ourselves - what did we see? The answer was loads of tarmac....................................! Not so bad for the driver, but passengers?

As it's your first time abroad you really need to TAKE IT EASY! Yes you can reach Spain by using the motorways and have a reasonable break. But I will warn you now you'll spend a few days just recovering!

I would really really encourage you to draw your horns in a bit, you can easily spoil the experience by trying to do too much. Never been to Morbihan area but it looks nice, may try it next trip but meanwhile I'd recommend you drive no further than one day from the port then find somewhere to stop and enjoy for a couple of days. Yes, campsites are going to be limited but in 12 years we've never failed to find somewhere to overnight, if not stay a day or two.

The weather is entirely unpredictable so if you are determined to go in January you need to go prepared for anything. With that in mind I'm sure it will be a great first experience. Do let us know how you get on.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
We’re heading North tomorrow, bit windy at the moment (Collioure) but 20 degrees. The place we were going to stopover at tomorrow night (near Riom) is rather chilly. Predicted to get down to zero……so we’ve binned that idea.

It was high up, so we’re looking at somewhere lower down. So January…..pack your thermals. ;)

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Well in your shoes I would aim for the Med. as said, check weather a couple of days in advance. You could just be lucky - friends in Marseille often have breakfast on their balcony on Christmas Day.
Wearing a woolly hat, thermal gloves and a Scottish Winter Fleece, whilst clutching the mug of hot chocolate to ward off hypothermia ...

'It's NOT cold; it's pure dead Baltic ...' (y) :giggle:

Steve

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Why about the ferry to Spain. That saves a lot of time.

The only time I would go to France in January would be to ski and even then i prefer late Feb/early March. I have driven to the 3 valleys a few times in January and its Grimsville. Freezing and ugly with no leaves on the trees. Roads brown with salt. If the wind is coming from the south east its absolutely freezing.

Makes the isle of man seem positively balmy in winter by comparison.

The west coast can be milder, but very wet and windy. Freezing if you go more than a couple of miles inland.

Agree with others, if you have to do it then Brittany. Its temperate climate would you make you feel at home......but then you could just go to Cornwall and get the same experience.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Don’t suppose your friends have any tips for campsites in or around Marseille? We’ve got tickets for two Rugby finals May next year, but look as if we’ll have to fly down there. 🤷‍♂️

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
thanks all, I don't mind the cold, I don't mind the driving, we both enjoy the touring aspect as much as the being somewhere. I don't fancy Spain just for the warmth, but would like a nice week or so either on the south east coast of france or somewhere in Spain.
No problem with getting down there in 2 days, back in 2 days or even 3 and yes, snowchains to be ordered as well as an external silver screen.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
thanks all, I don't mind the cold, I don't mind the driving, we both enjoy the touring aspect as much as the being somewhere. I don't fancy Spain just for the warmth, but would like a nice week or so either on the south east coast of france or somewhere in Spain.
No problem with getting down there in 2 days, back in 2 days or even 3 and yes, snowchains to be ordered as well as an external silver screen.

We are in France at the moment (Collioure) more or less on the Spanish border in the south east, on the Mediterranean Coast.

We head back tomorrow, catching the 16.30hrs ferry Caen to Portsmouth on Sunday. We were going to take 5 days to get up there but decided to stay here….in the sun….for an extra two.

We’ll be using motorways, but avoiding most Toll Roads. First leg….Collioure to Orcet (overnight stay). Second leg Orcet to Malicorne-sur-Sarthe (2 nights). Then finally to the ferry.

Could do it in two overnighters if pushed. 6 hours, 6.5 hours and 3.5hrs driving time on our planned routes. (y)

Dec 1, 2020
Brassempouy, south west France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B878 SL
Exp
Since Feb 2020
We retired in 2015 to live in the Dordogne, south west France. During the oast 6 years we've stayed at home for Xmas, but never again. Short days, long nights, rain & more rain and temps approaching zero. Everywhere is closed apart from supermarkets & filling stations. Xmas/New Year is a family time in France, so no restaurants. It can be a miserable time unless you have a family or friend circle. Many aires are open all year but campsites are very few & far between. You can Google for a list of those that are open, but phone to check, as Google's not always correct. As others have said, Spain or Portugal are the only sensible choices and you don't have to go all the way to the south. We enjoy Camping Alegria at Benicarlo. This site has a very 'British' flavour including a full blown Xmas lunch and bacon & eggs every morning if you want it. Lots of Brits stay here and it's not too far to travel. We shall be there this year too.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
We retired in 2015 to live in the Dordogne, south west France. During the oast 6 years we've stayed at home for Xmas, but never again. Short days, long nights, rain & more rain and temps approaching zero. Everywhere is closed apart from supermarkets & filling stations. Xmas/New Year is a family time in France, so no restaurants. It can be a miserable time unless you have a family or friend circle. Many aires are open all year but campsites are very few & far between. You can Google for a list of those that are open, but phone to check, as Google's not always correct. As others have said, Spain or Portugal are the only sensible choices and you don't have to go all the way to the south. We enjoy Camping Alegria at Benicarlo. This site has a very 'British' flavour including a full blown Xmas lunch and bacon & eggs every morning if you want it. Lots of Brits stay here and it's not too far to travel. We shall be there this year too.
+1 for Camping Alegria. They also do a very efficient private transport transfer to hospital for campers who are having a heart attack ... (y)
:rolleyes:

Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back