France (not all of it) returning to 90kmh speed limit ! (1 Viewer)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Last trip I got flashed on a dual carriageway I was doing 102kph, signed limit was 110 so I assume under 3.5t 110, Motorhome over 3.5t 100 & HGV's 90.
That was in October not heard anything.
As far as I can tell there seems to be a natural assumption in France that all camping-cars are under 3.5t no matter the size and length. :LOL:

Richard.

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
I thought the upper speed limit on the motorways was being lowered to 120 from 130kph.
We saw a few signs further south with 130 on them, and the satnav agreed with the latest French map installed?

Surely if you got pulled by inspector Cluso you could point out the latest sign you had seen and argue the toss.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I thought the upper speed limit on the motorways was being lowered to 120 from 130kph.
We saw a few signs further south with 130 on them, and the satnav agreed with the latest French map installed?

Surely if you got pulled by inspector Cluso you could point out the latest sign you had seen and argue the toss.
Its 110 if its raining.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Not automatically- they have to apply to DVLA for the details.
So a 3850kg doing 90 in a 90 would be OK unless the police stopped it and checked V5?

(Not that I plan to visit France any time soon.) But others might like to know.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
So a 3850kg doing 90 in a 90 would be OK unless the police stopped it and checked V5?

(Not that I plan to visit France any time soon.) But others might like to know.

Unless they decided to check - You would have to be pretty unlucky IMO.

You should go, so much more Mh Friendly and less crowded than UK.

Deleted User
From what I have experienced on a 3 lane road the side with a passing lane is 90kph but the single lane in the opposite direction is 80, so on one stretch of road there are conflicting limits.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
From what I have experienced on a 3 lane road the side with a passing lane is 90kph but the single lane in the opposite direction is 80, so on one stretch of road there are conflicting limits.

The whole thing is a mess - a good example of the folly of making legislation on the hoof IMHO

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Fairy certian it's 80 over 3.5t
Correct.
But, are you feeling lucky?
I always assume that the French authorities don’t have an automatic link to DVLA to check the vehicle weight for a camera activation.
But, they do have my V5 details squirrelled away somewhere from my emissions sticker so I try my best to be a good boy.................just in case.

Mar 3, 2014
Oxford
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since 2013
Have SATNAV updates been issued by any of the providers... or are they confused ?

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Have SATNAV updates been issued by any of the providers... or are they confused ?
Now this is the question! My satnav tells me the speed limit and I’m in France at the moment, I must check that what the satnav is saying is the same as the signs, which there is a distinct lack of btw!

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

Asking for trouble to totally rely on a device IMHO. Even over here the local council can decide to move/change a speed limit and then this has to work its way through to garmin/Tom TOm etc and then for you to update.

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002

I have a Nozatec with IGO software for the MH and a Tomtom for the car. The recent updates on both have shown the new limits. On 3-lane roads, with 80kph one way and 90kph the other, both show the lower limit whichever direction you're travelling.
Always best to be guided by the last posted speed limit on the road, rather than take the satnav as gospel...

Deleted User
I was flashed, no not that flashed, doing 90kph - but I'm under 3.5t - on the A63 south of Bordeaux so I'll know when we get home if there's an international arrest warrant out for me.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I have a Nozatec with IGO software for the MH and a Tomtom for the car. The recent updates on both have shown the new limits. On 3-lane roads, with 80kph one way and 90kph the other, both show the lower limit whichever direction you're travelling.
Always best to be guided by the last posted speed limit on the road, rather than take the satnav as gospel...

You are talking about when the National limits went from 90kph down to 80kph. The signage has just about caught up with that change.

Since then the Government has allowed Departments to increase back up to 90kph if they want to, in certain locations.

Some have done it but not through the whole department. Some have done it but applicable from future dates. Some are thinking about it. The signage has probably not caught up with that recent second change.

I am sure for the satnav companies it is a nightmare.

Only safe way to proceed is to keep your eye glued or just drive at 80kph, because if caught by a camera and a fine arrives at home address, it is too late to prove what sign was showing at the time.

Geoff

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
You are talking about when the National limits went from 90kph down to 80kph. The signage has just about caught up with that change.

Since then the Government has allowed Departments to increase back up to 90kph if they want to, in certain locations.

Some have done it but not through the whole department. Some have done it but applicable from future dates. Some are thinking about it. The signage has probably not caught up with that recent second change.

I am sure for the satnav companies it is a nightmare.

Only safe way to proceed is to keep your eye glued or just drive at 80kph, because if caught by a camera and a fine arrives at home address, it is too late to prove what sign was showing at the time.

Geoff

Living here, I try to keep up to speed (no pun intended :giggle:) with the latest state of play. Haute-Marne is the first départment to change back to 90kph. My départment, the Lot, hasn't yet made a decision. Others have decided not to raise the limit in the future. I think having a mix of limits is destined to create problems, tbh.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, in my experience the signing was done pretty promptly in most areas.

Having a 4T MH, the reduction did me a bit of a favour as I'm restricted to 80kph anyway and, with most drivers complying with the limit, it has significantly reduced the number of vehicles in a rush to get past. I can keep up to the limit on most roads now without feeling I'm a rolling obstruction.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I am in awe at the amount of posts where there is basically an admittance of not being able to concentrate on road signs or abide by them.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I really like those signs that flash to tell you the speed you are actually going especially when you’re driving somewhere new. I was hunting for a hotel at Heathrow in the New Year, it was raining, getting dark. I was driving , plus navigating, sat nag was confused by a new road layout, it was changing backwards and forwards between 30 and 40 mph . Having my speed flashing in my line of sight rather than on the dash or sat nag was very handy, may well have saved me a speeding fine.

Now that they could be powered by solar it would be great if there could be more of them about the place, most of us don’t actually want to speed and when we do get caught it’s often that we’ve thought we are in a 50 when it was a 40 etc. I know often it’s just carelessness but sometimes on busy roads there’s a lot going on.

I sound as though I go around collecting speeding fines, only 2 in 43 years I promise and I do more of the driving than Nick!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back