Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
we usually go to France in June and wander aimlessly around for a month using mostly aires. This year due to work commitments we can't go until July or maybe august , I was wondering how busy France actually got in high season, if we could still get on the aires,do we stay away from the coast, how busy does Brittany get?ypour thoughts would be appreciated, bearing in mind we live in north Devon which gets inundated with tourists in the summer,, cheers!

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
We avoid France from the 15th July to the 25th August - popular area much too busy for us!

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
My job meant we had no choice but to holiday in July/August for 30 years and it didn't stop us going to France. Having also been one of those who inundated N Devon in summer I'd say you won't notice much difference.

As far as aires go in the high season, the trick is to aim for medium to larger sized aires (rather than tiny ones) and try to arrive around mid-morning when the natural turnover is greatest. People will also tend to stay put on aires over weekends in summer so if you're planning to hang around anywhere, try to get there before Friday lunchtime. Also keep an eye out for when French national holidays are on as the traffic will be crap.

Those who've had the privilege of choosing when they took their holidays will usually shudder at the thought of high season touring, but we didn't know any better and it never stopped us from enjoying ourselves. As a general rule the French don't do early (unlike the Germans) so you can take advantage of that and visit potentially busy spots first thing in the morning. It's after the extended lunch break that the beaches start to fill up.

We're just back from a month pootling around French aires in March/April and it's very different for sure, but you'll cope :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
We went to Brittany last year for the whole of July and had no problems getting on Aires - my videos are in the link below.

Avoid the obvious tourist places and you'll be fine.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Coastal Aires, especially smaller ones are generally full in August, if you want to stay inland and on larger Aires, you will probably be ok. Best thing about France is that there is usually another aire nearby if you find one full
You could always subscribe to France Passion, we bought it a few years ago, there seems to be a lot of places to stop, but we never found one near where we wanted to be.

Jul 26, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
since 1999
We have done france in july/august for years and never had a problem,aires are busy but always find a pitch.
We love it being full of life everywhere!

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
We totally agree. All of August last year and just one aire we couldn't get on which was Biaritz.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We totally agree. All of August last year and just one aire we couldn't get on which was Biaritz.
Tied to holidays too and did Brittany last year busy but always a space if arrive lunch timeish!
Some are very cramped and obviously don't observe the 6 metre rules!! But when in France....

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Had to do August one year. The Aires were fine away from the coast.
Sites more expensive at this time and a lot of children, though not a huge problem as French kids are generally well behaved, unlike many of the British ones.

OP
OP
Steve devon

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
Had to do August one year. The Aires were fine away from the coast.
Sites more expensive at this time and a lot of children, though not a huge problem as French kids are generally well behaved, unlike many of the British ones.
Totally agree about the French kids

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Totally agree about the French kids
Maybe this is why. We were at an Aire last year and one of the local youths had carried out a minor misdemeanour (can't remember what). It was near the Mayor's office and someone who could easily have been the Mayor came out of his office, came across, gave him a good dressing down and went over and spoke with his mother. In this country no one would even approach someone in that position let alone tell them off without themselves risking prosecution. Too much tail wagging the dog in this coutry I fear!

Wyn

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997

..and there's always two others nearby to choose from if that's ever a problem. Ave Milady, Anglet, & La Barre/Chiberta - all on the same bus route to the town centre.

I can only think of one or two occasions in France where we've had to go to our Plan B aire in high summer.

Nov 1, 2015
Norwich
Funster No
MH
RAPIDO 686F
Exp
Just do it. We have been to France in August for the last few years having been tied to child care for our daughter. Have always got on aires or if meeting up with family on a site as long as you book those then you should be fine. Enjoy!!
Ray

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We went to Brittany last year for the whole of July and had no problems getting on Aires - my videos are in the link below.

Avoid the obvious tourist places and you'll be fine.

Keith

We are off to Brittany via UK in September.

I will be 'Tour Leader' as the 'followers' are our Doctor in Poland and her husband, who are renting a MH from Rennes and have not MHomed for many years.

Your reference to your videos is excellent info and good quality videos. Much more interesting than stupid drivers on the roads into Mansfield etc.:D

So many thanks for those, which will be very useful, alongside our 'campingcars-info' and 'campercontact'.

Keith, have you also done a Blog covering your travels, and Brittany in particular - I searched on MHFacts but could not find one - maybe it is filed elsewhere.

Once again thanks for videos.

Geoff

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
No, I haven't got a blog anywhere, it would be a bit boring I'm afraid.

We are coming towards the end of a month in France and there are about 25 - 30 videos of our excursions around the Dordogne Aires to post in the next month or so.

No help for you in Brittany but, as you say, more use than recording mine and others stupidity in my local area.

Have a good trip and enjoy wherever you go.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back