Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
Another question on our trip to france in a couple of weeks we will be taking the laptop as we have no sites booked and we are not 100% sure of our exact destination what is the best way to get internet coverage i have a Vodaphone dongle but that will be very expensive abroad i suppose.Is there any places you can get a wireless connection without been on a campsite.Thanks

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Another question on our trip to france in a couple of weeks we will be taking the laptop as we have no sites booked and we are not 100% sure of our exact destination what is the best way to get internet coverage i have a Vodaphone dongle but that will be very expensive abroad i suppose.Is there any places you can get a wireless connection without been on a campsite.Thanks
Hi there,

I've not been too successful myself in France, but apparently most (if not all) McDonalds have free WiFi. In Germany though, they want your credit card details, and then bill you for usage. :Angry:
Some internet cafes will let you use their ethernet connection for your laptop. I have seen some really grubby keyboards in these cafes. :Sad:
Local libraries are another source of internet.

HTH,

Jock.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
not sure if they still do it but vodafone used to do a 24hr roaming internet access for about a tenner- its main downfall was it was a straight 24hrs from when you logged on, and T mobile do one as well if you have their contract , thiers is 50mb for a tenner.
Failing that as stated mcdonalds you usually only need to sit in carpark, the local information office usuallly has wifi some make a charge and some dont, and quite a few sites in france offer wifi some charge and some dont.if you have the acsi book or camping cheques book they do tell you which sites have it free or charge.
Having borrowed a french moblie dongle i can tell you our internet is cheap.
charges for the french sfr dongle range from 20 mins for €3, 3 hours for €16, 24h or 1 day continuous is €9

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Camping Haliotis in Normandy free internet access, walking distance to town, supermarket and regular local markets, cycle path to Mont St Michel. Highly recommended.
I know that doesn't actually answer your question but if you happen to be in Normandy it's well worth a visit.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Camping Haliotis in Normandy free internet access, walking distance to town, supermarket and regular local markets, cycle path to Mont St Michel. Highly recommended.
I know that doesn't actually answer your question but if you happen to be in Normandy it's well worth a visit.

Excellent site, good pitches, friendly family run and nothing is too much trouble, they even put another repeater up so that i could access the wifi from my van as the signal didnt quite reach which for something that was free was great,and it came about because i sat in the cafe using my lappy and the owner said didnt i know i could use from my van so explained that the signal wasnt reaching where we where, next day a repeater was put up at enterance to the field i was on. They like to make thier campers happy

newlife

Free Member
Jul 30, 2010
North Staffs
Funster No
MH
Van conversion,
Exp
3yrs
Hi Mizar
A lot of tourist offices have wifi, pronounced wee fee!
hope that helps

Tony

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time

Just returned from Normandy & Brittany. We used the Vodafone dongle. Yes it is 24hrs with a limit of 50mb for £9.99 The connection was SFR and we found a number of SFR hotspots at Aires, but you needed to have an SFR account to use them (Vodafone is an SFR partner but you cannot access SFR WiFi)

We found that we could use up the 50mb allowance in no time at all by accessing a forum. Twice I went over by a very small amount and it cost us another £9.99.

I tried to buy a SFR dongle & Sim, but they would not sell even a "Pay as you go" sim without a French Bank account. Cash or Visa was not acceptable.

John

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
We live in France and have a French orange dongle on a 1 year contract .(15 euros a month)..with a monthly allowance of 200mb and another 200mb at the week ends and bank holidays...now because this is not a lot of surfing we would also use McDonalds if we was next to one in a supermarket, but we always try everywhere we go to find any unsecure sites...and we find many..we also use one of these TP-Link WN722N 150mbs high gain which does help connect it gives a greater distance than the one on the laptop:thumb::thumb:

Link Removed

Mel

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Just found this on the t mobile site, very good value from what i can see

Euro Broadband 200MB £40
  • Surf the internet for a whole month

• Use it over 30 days from when you buy it
  • Same stuff as 50MB, plus
  • Surf your favourite sites all month
  • Check and reply to work and personal emails for your

link for full page info
http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/mobile-broadband/euro-broadband-booster/

seymore

Free Member
Feb 13, 2010
Newcastle under Lyme.
Funster No
MH
Van coversion
Exp
This is the 4th van weve done
Wee Fee in France.

:thumb:Hi Mizar we went to France earlier in the year cant wait to get back. We used Mc Donalds free wifi with no problems and found also that LeClerc supermarket resturants had free wifi . We could shop and surf all day.If at home you have BTs top internet package and you signed up to BT FON then you will find in France some sfr routers are public,if you log on to these sites then start your web browser it will change to sfr FON,at this point I reccomend you translate the pages with google. On the right hand side of the page is writing in a red oblong or block' imeadiately under this in very small writing is a statement to the effect "BT open sky" or somthing similar you'll recognise it anyway, click on this ,you will then be on a screen with 2 boxes on it, you put your BT log in details in the boxes hit return and you will be wellcomed as a Fonnero.you can acces your BT account or anything you want your on the web. I have no BT account my son has.I did not want to run up a bill in England so I joined as a Fonnero and paid for the time I was on the web 7euros for 5 days.and you have 365 days in which to use them. When my son had his BT statement there was no charge for the time we used it.So go and have fun and keep in touch. dave

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back