France in Summer (1 Viewer)

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
We are thinking of going to France again this year but due to prior commitments it will have to be late June / early July. Probably head towards La Rochelle/Poitiers/ Loire Valley. Apparently the French schools break up for summer hols on July 3rd. Does anybody know if the campsites/aires, etc. are likely to be heaving at that time or would it be better going at the end of August/ beginning September? Any and all advice greatly appreciated (y). Thanks.

Chris

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Last year or two have been going all of July and no problems nearer the coast Aires can be packed but always found somewhere to park and enjoy

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
I think you would be wise to avoid July and August if you can. We always wait until September when we find there is plenty of room on the aires. We have never used campsites as we don't need the facilities which they provide.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We have been to France in July and August. The aires in general were no busier than out of season, and the municipal sites were ok too.
I think the French with children, along with other nationalities, prefer sites by the sea or with full facilities, so these are the ones to avoid at peak times.

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
We had 6 weeks in France the summer before last and only Chamonix in the Alps did we have problems finding a site, the rest of the time if you turn up early enough in the day is before dinner time we did not encounter any problems with finding space on aires.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Late June - early July - perfect timing!

Nice long evenings and no crowds (yet).

That's my preferred time to be there. Never had a problem with aires or campsites. Frequently found myself to be the only van on rural aires. If you're worried about being crowded out once the school holidays start then just keep away from the coast - and if using aires just stick to the Number One Rule - always have a Plan B.

The other advantage of going in June is that you might just be able to go again in September - I will!

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Can't comment on June\July, but we went last August. Were in Gien on the Loire about 3rd week in Aug, followed Loire as far as Saumur, then headed for La Rochelle and over to Ile de Re. Used a mix of ACSI sites, municipals and Aires, no pre booking and no problems at all. It was brilliant, enjoy.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Sensible advice from Tony above. We holiday in Europe every year in high summer as wife in education. Easy to say don't go, but some of us have no choice. Have yet to have a bad holiday and we like the buz of high season with more reliable weather.

Avoid the coast and you will be fine, if you want to visit a coastal spot in July book ahead....but you are in the shoulder period and it will be Fine :)

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Never tried july/aug always been in either june or sept , only time we had a problem was along the coastal aires they seem to be hogged a bit by the french & dutch ( southern brittany - Damgan & Quiberon especially holding 60/70 but still full to bulging), we moved slightly inland never had a problem. going again this sept to brittany but will try some coastal ones again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back