France from Start to Now and Beyond (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
I do normally stream when in the uk but since I’ve been here not done that at all. I’ll look into the two phones I have, they have quite a few apps on them that might be updating automatically. Thanks
Best Wishes Tony

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi just a quick carry on from where I left off.
5th Dec Got back to the MH in Josselin and decided to move late afternoon.

I headed for an Aires in Mazan which is near a small shop and has great facilities for the likes of us, and toilets that leave others to shame.

Stayed there last night 6th but had no internet or very slow even putting my sim in the MiFi device which is linked to a rooftop aerial did not improve it very much, so those of you who know me, would know I’m not stopping there more than one night.

Although I did have company along side of me, two people look like they are living out of their car.

MH and Toilet.jpeg
JPEG image 3.jpeg

7th This morning I got up and it was raining, so much for me searching for the sun. Lol.
I headed for an Aires in the book All the Aires in France North as the internet was not usable, MARTINIERE LE PELLERIN no.177 if you are interested.

What an antiquated way of doing things I do prefer CC but it does not have all the Aires in it.

Anyway picked this one out for a two nights stay and then I will move to a site I’ve already picked out on Sunday and stay there till all the commotion of Monday passes.

By the way I had an incident on the way to this Aire and wondered if you could post a video on here from a dashcam if I can get it off the camera??

That's all folks for now as I'm being tight with my data still got 10 days to go before I get my data refreshed.
Best Wishes Tony

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
What an antiquated way of doing things I do prefer CC but it does not have all the Aires in it.
It's got nearly all the ones worth stopping at in it I expect a lot more than All the Aires book has.
I take it you forgot to download the off line maps for CC before you left home - do it next time you get some decent free wifi.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
take it you forgot to download the off line maps for CC before you left
DOH!! No I didn’t forget to download them and also the photos, but I forgot I did DOH, what a numskull. LOL

Maureen

Free Member
Oct 5, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Thanks for your photos of Josselin as they brought back lovely memories of my recent visit at the end of September.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi Folks
7th Arrived at MARTINIERE LE PELLERIN map no.177 Nr Nantes if you are interested.

Anyway picked this one out for a two nights stay and then I will move to a site I’ve already picked out on Sunday and stay there till all the commotion of Monday passes. This Aire had toilets which were made of stainless steel and sanitized themselves after each use, how great is that?
This is a nice site with a large canal practically along side of the Aires no other MH around stayed two nights had a walk around if only the weather was better but hey what do you expect in winter time.

IMG_20181209_124331.jpg

IMG_20181209_124016.jpg

Soon be Christmas Whooo Best Wishes Tony

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
As you are close by Nantes it is worth a visit. There is a Camping Car-Parks Aire beside the municipal site in the university area. Tram stops right outside.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
As you are close by Nantes it is worth a visit. There is a Camping Car-Parks Aire beside the municipal site in the university area. Tram stops right outside.
Yes I would only trying to catch up on my exploits and lacking data I'm behind with my days thread, I am now alongside the Dordogne near Bourg.
Best Wishes Tony

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
9th Dec
I want to get more LPG not low yet but want to keep the LPG topped up.

Now if you remember “The Best Laid Plans of Mice and Men” I left Le Pellerin heading for a Supermarket on the app to top up my LPG but having arrived at Super U there was notice on the LPG pump and after I spent 1hr deciphering it, the message was they are no longer going to be supplying LPG. Now I was not sure if this was just this station or all Super U’s, I went to another station nearby which was located on my app and that also did not have a pump to dispense LPG. I was by this time getting a little concerned but still had one gas bottle nearly full so I should be OK.

Anyway I put off going to the Aire I’d picked out for Sunday and headed for Challans where the app indicated there were four stations which supply LPG. I headed for an Aire which is in CC Sitecode 22258 which is in central Challans, not a very nice Aire so no photos but some on CC if you have it, it is however alongside a nice park, anyway it will do for one night stopover and to find LPG in the morning, also I think the French locals keep their MH’s their when not in use as it was quite full with blinds up and did not see anyone come out of most of them.

In the morning I went straight to a Supermarket and found LPG, also did a little shop in the market. There was a little old lady at the checkout emptying here purchases onto the belt drive she was struggling with heavy crates of bottles so I just gave her help with lifting the crates onto the belt. She was so surprised and happy. Then her husband turned up “where had he been when she was struggling”?? The lady seeing I only had 8 items encouraged me to go ahead of her, which was very nice of her. I had purposely selected the till which had a young girl on it as she was most likely to speak English, and she did, I said thank you in French to the French lady and man and left.

Onto the next Aire.

Best Wishes Tony

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I had purposely selected the till which had a young girl on it as she was most likely to speak English,...
Yeah, right :xwink:

Brilliant progress, Tony. Anyone would think you've been doing this for twenty years. I bet you now wonder why you were getting so anxious about it :xThumb:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Just a different heads up about data usage

Depending on what camera/phone you use to take your photos, they can be relatively large. I always put them through a photo resizer app which reduces about 95% of the data without noticeably reducing the picture quality as viewed on an average screen - has the added benefit of uploading very quickly and/or successfully in areas of dodgy connectivity.

I use this one on Android
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.simplemobilephotoresizer&hl=en_GB

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi Everyone Onto the next stop.
From there I headed to an Aire Municipale St. Hilaire de Riez 25461

Arrived here on the 10th nice area hard standing by a large lake which is used for sailing etc, met a fellow English man Mike here the first since arriving in Europe he is a full timer, he gave me the lowdown on the services and told me he was heading back to the UK.
Settled in to where I was going to stay and went for a walk in the woods, you have to fight for a place in the Aire, you can pick the prime slot. The drawback is the weather.

The next day I was checking where I was going to go next and nearly jumped out of my skin, a loud crack which took me by surprise, I’d forgotten there was a gun club building on site, so if you do stay here don’t upset the locals. Lol.
IMG_20181211_111427.jpg
IMG_20181211_111916.jpg

Nice place to stop, still onto the next port of call.
Best Wishes Tony

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
11th Onto the next site which was Rochefort site code 23888 nice hard standing 4.10 euros per night by credit card, loads of space especially if you reverse over the grass, although there was 5 of us there I think I was the only one who paid!!

Anyway quiet night sleep although near to the road, no pics taken.

12th
This morning I headed for a site in a small site which purported to have electric at €2 per hour which seemed reasonable St Dizant Du Gua site cc1627 and had a rating of 8.2.
I was looking forward to having electric as my batteries had been taking a hammering with the lack of sun.

I entered the village and the road was blocked by road repairs and was diverted supposedly around the road repairs, but all it led me into was a small tight road which if I’d carry on I would not be able to open the doors to the cab it was that tight.

I had to reverse about 100 yards and turn round. I decided to give this site a miss and headed for another site called Saint Thomas de Cognac cc1620 which is in a small village when I arrived there were two shops open a Co-op and butchers.

I was the only one on this site which does not hold many MH’s. I took a walk down to the Co-op and bought myself a bottle of local brewed brandy which is very nice.

IMG_20181213_142858.jpg

IMG_20181213_142832.jpg

IMG_20181213_150139.jpg

IMG_20181214_102820.jpg

Best Wishes Tony

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi Folks
13th i

In the morning I headed for Chateau Marquis de Vauban cc53173 which has a rating of 9 and free electric too boot.

On arriving the grounds were wet and most of the area to park was cordoned off.

I parked alongside the electric point got out of my cab and was instantly chased by a black swan so got back in the cab. A chap came out and told me I can’t park there “well I think that is what he said” and he pointed to somewhere else which I could not see where he meant so I decided to move on.

I headed for Chateau Combelongue Car cc22935 which again had a high rating but on arriving the ground was sodden and I decided not to stay so once again I headed off to find another Aire ended up at Aire de Camping Car Parc De l Esconge Bourg Sur Gironde cc53794. Which is right along side of the Dordogne. I was the only one there and as the grass part where you were meant to park was boggy I parked on the hard white area leading into the parking areas.

A German arrived latter and I advised him to park on the white hard ground, he left the next morning. I stayed here for two days and left on the 15th.

IMG_20181214_134722.jpg

IMG_20181214_122516.jpg

IMG_20181214_122032.jpg

IMG_20181214_115710.jpg

IMG_20181214_122024.jpg

IMG_20181214_121100.jpg

IMG_20181214_120841.jpg

IMG_20181214_120203.jpg

Best Wishes Tony

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Hi Everybody
I’m now nearly up to date with my posts apart from today, I’ll talk about that later but suffice to say I’m in an paid Aire which the machine has given me a code as I’ve paid for 3 days does anybody know if can I use that code to go out and in over the three days or is it once you use the code to go out you can’t get back in?
Can’t see anything that tells me if that is what I can do.
Many Thanks Tony

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Our limited experience of these is that you can come and go using the code as long as you are paid up. It won’t let you out or in if it thinks you have overstayed, until you pay up.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Great to catch up with your travels, wonderful pictures. I hope you are enjoying the adventures!

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Keep the updates and photos coming Tony.
There is a bit of jealousy creeping in here. Despite the soggy weather you seem to be having an excellent trip.

Richard.

Jul 26, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
To many to mention
The Aires we have used where we paid at the machine on entry & you are given a code - cannot remember the exact wording but basically when you put your code in to exit it asks if you are leaving for good or just temporary, assuming you are still within your paid time. I suggest as you put the code in if it does not give you that option, before you raise the barrier, maybe better to cancel the action & stay on site until your time expires. Hope that helps.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
once you use the code to go out you can’t get back in?

We struggled with one of those in Millau but there was an intercom system and a fluent English speaker on the other end. Has yours got an intercom ?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Your right it seems to of leaked some more since I took that picture.

I think we can all sleep peacefully now, you are fully qualified in Europe.

Though to go for the PhD you need to get to Benidorm and enjoy a coffee and brandy on the sea front, in the warm sunshine, watching the world go by. It's all of €2 for both.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
The Aires we have used where we paid at the machine on entry & you are given a code - cannot remember the exact wording but basically when you put your code in to exit it asks if you are leaving for good or just temporary, assuming you are still within your paid time. I suggest as you put the code in if it does not give you that option, before you raise the barrier, maybe better to cancel the action & stay on site until your time expires. Hope that helps.
Yes, we’ve used one like that.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Bourg is a nice sleepy little town with a Municipal camp site you can see on one of your photos under the citadel wall. We have stayed there a few times as we have friends who live locally, and once spent the night on the quayside but found out the next day that Motorhomes were no longer allowed to do that! The Cafe Le Plaisance is the only place I have been to where the wine bottles are kept in fridges that line the walls. You put some money on a card then help yourself until the money runs out. Great idea!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I suggest as you put the code in if it does not give you that option, before you raise the barrier, maybe better to cancel the action & stay on site until your time expires. Hope that helps.
Been on ones like that and found out the space is yours for 24 hrs. You can have ½ doz empty spaces but no one else can get in until someones alloted 24 hours is up.

Sep 15, 2018
Funster No
MH
Self build
Exp
Since 2009
The one we used asked if you were leaving permanently or temporarily. If temporary a space is kept for you to return to, not necessarily the same space.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Has yours got an intercom ?
I don’t think so, I’ll have to do some investigation, but just had a look around the entrance and there does not seem to be anything like that.
Best Wishes Tony

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back