Free Member
Oct 18, 2012
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi All, hope you can help. we went to france earlier this year for the the first time,we were going for 3 weeks but due to a bereavement had to return just after a week. We are now thinking of returning for 2 weeks but i want to go further afield, somewhere a bit warmer towards the south.Q1 how much further south will i have to travel to see some sun?.Q2 would to take the scenic route or blast down on there motorways?.Q3 If we went on the motorways any idea of cost?.Thanks for any info.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
This time of year you'd have to travel fairly far south to get really warm weather. Saying that, there's an area in Charente supposed to have a micro climate with as many sunny days as the Med coast. I think it is around the Marais.
The Lot might be warm enough for you.
It's the luck of the draw in Autumn---sometimes stays really warm through til November--we had Xmas lunch outside one year---or it can be chilly.
Check France Meteo for forecast.

Mar 25, 2013
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit 160
Exp
Since 2013
We are in southern Brittany at the moment and until today have had brilliant weather. We are planning to go to Ile de Re but the 10 day forecast looks grim almost everywhere:crying: So probably best to get down south as quickly as possible!! Sorry cant't help re the tolls but I think there is a website which has the info you would need.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I reckon the weather is likely to be breaking throughout France now, and you would need to get pretty much down to the Med to stand any reasonable chance of it being seriously warmer. And even there it will be very much on the change, with the risk of cool damp conditions. Having said that, you might also enjoy a warm fine spell.

I'd be inclined to head towards the south coast of Provence, but the Languedoc-Roussillon region would also be worth considering. We travelled to Provence last month, using autoroutes most - but not all - of the way. We spent about £180 return on tolls travelling from Calais. I reckon you would probably top £200 if you went ALL the way down the east side of the country to the Med and back again. Equally, if you take a route further to the west, there are a couple of very long stretches of free motorway.

Have a great trip whatever you decide.

Mike

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
id head straight down to provence on toll roads - 2 days at the most (or if you dont mind a long days drive start from calais v early and you could get to avignon in 13-14 hrs - thats the hard drive done then and time to relax(y)) done it a few times to do exactly what your doing - maximising 2 weeks in the sun(ish)

tolls would be around £100 each way btw (updated did euros not £)

meant to add..Via michelin website gives a good view on tolls etc

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Your question is difficult to answer because I'm not sure exactly what you mean by how much further south do we need to go to see some sun. Answer: 1 yard or less on a bright day !! I assume, what you mean is how much further south do we have to go, to get warmer than the place we were at the last time. Answer: WTF was you the last time ?
Right! fun over, lets try and make some sense ! If your looking for winter warmth, consider Spain. If your looking for Autumn warmth (September/October) you will do well around Adge. (Why don't you just Google average temperature for a given area and take it from there!).
Second question. Answer: Whatever you prefer. Some member on here prefer the scenic route, some like to attempt breaking the land speed record, it's down to personal preference.
With respect to your last question, I've attached two links. One is for Michelin maps. Put your route in and select with caravan and you will get the toll cost for a class two motorhome (select tolls too) and finally another link which will help you decide your best route options.

http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/
http://about-france.com/routes-from-calais.htm

Happy trails.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
We have just returned from France and Italy. Although it was warm all the way back through France, it can get very chilly at night. For example during the third week of September the night temperature in the Cevennes / Lozere region was 1ºC up in the hills. Further north it was much warmer at night - mostly altitude and cloud-related. We have in the past, camped (tent) in Beaune in late August and been extremely cold at night although daytime temperatures are much higher.
At this time of year I would have thought areas like the Gard, Vaucluse or the strip to the north of the Pyrenees would be the best bet. Last year we spent from mid-Sept to end-Oct travelling along the Pyrenees from West to East and then back up though the Corbieres, Tarn, Lot and Dordogne etc. It was quite warm all the time as I recall. Other than that, head for Spain, but two weeks would make that a bit of a rushed trip I fear.

Fleeces are good! ;)

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Plenty of nice aires though. I agree the campsites will be shut - most of them had already closed by mid Sept as we came back from Italy.

Sixbows

Free Member
Aug 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
Overcab bed
Exp
Hi,
The weather has been good throughout most of France until today, in fact we have had better weather here in Burgundy in September than August and September.
As previous poster have said most campsite will be starting to close now and the rest will be closed by the 1st November as will some touristic sites and restaurants. The plus side is that Aires will be quieter and you will have no traffic.
If you took the toll roads to far south around Montpellier expect to pay around 100 euros each way. I think that the Michelin route planner gives the price for a car just add on around 50% for a motorhome.
Personally I think that the Autumn is the nicest season in France.
What ever you decide have a great time:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back