France: FLT's beware (1 Viewer)

Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
Wait till generation z join the site I was reading that they use abbreviations a lot such a K k. kk it’s a brave world out there and I blame the parents lol 😆
It seems a shame that generation z have had many years schooling and still cannot spell. When schools were proper schools, we used to get marks deducted for bad spelling etc. :rolleyes::frowny:.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
You need to eat it straight away, everyone knows French bread hardens like quick set tile adhesive. 😂
Because it has no crap in it! I stopped eating white bread recently when I was told that it has Chicken feathers in it! I 'Poo Poo'ed' the idea and Googled it!

In hair and feathers are used in preserving the bread, but at least the EU out lawed the used of Human Hair in bread making!! I kid you not!

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Because it has no crap in it! I stopped eating white bread recently when I was told that it has Chicken feathers in it! I 'Poo Poo'ed' the idea and Googled it!

In hair and feathers are used in preserving the bread, but at least the EU out lawed the used of Human Hair in bread making!! I kid you not!
We make all our own bread it really doesn’t take long and you know exactly what’s in it. Shop brought bread tends to have a grey tinge to it. The manufactures make bread as cheap as possible and have referred to it in the past as ‘making water stand up’ they use the shortest proving and baking time possible.

Our standard loaf is white flour, (300g) then 200g malted seeded and 100g whole meal 15g butter 8g salt and 15-20g dried yeast it tastes superb

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I’ve always thought that services should be paid for by users.

That idea works to a certain extent but it has two limitations

1 Who do you charge for using certain facilities?

2 What is the net benefit of setting up and running a charging system?

On point 1 there are lots of free parking spaces on and off village and town streets which are both beneficial to the local residents for shopping and to the trades people for their businesses.

Then there are the roads and street lighting which are provided for locals, but should they be used by visitors for free or be charged> How do you charge for use of a street light when 4 local and one visitor car passes? Same with all the road signs, verge trimming etc.?

In particular relating to parking there are many villages/towns in France which permit parking in their CPs for private cars and visitors (cars and MHs) for free with no charge. How does one differentiate?

On point 2 some communities have decided to charge a fee for a designated Aire, sometimes by buying a ticket to be displayed from the Mairie and/ tabac etc. Others have a pay machine. Some pay an employee to collect money.

All these methods cost some money to operate and administer and some may not be cost-effective. I am sure many councils have weighed up the pros and cons of charging using various methods and have decided whether the volume of MHs, cost of collection and administration make it worthwhile to set up a charging system. It is their decision - which may anyway be reversed by the next incumbent Maire.

Canterbury City are faced with similar decisions: they are currently planning a new MH facility at Wincheap P+R and I sure Colin the Parking Manager for the City has had to cost the project, estimate the revenue based on usage and fees and present a recommendation to the Council before approval. The Council can then assess the benefit to the local economy.

The same thinking must take place in local councils in France, but maybe not in such a formal way, more back of a fag packet maybe.

My point is that 'User should pay' has practical consequences and limitations.

Geoff

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
A decree which prohibits night parking for certain vehicles, not motor homes, but “ Vehicles transporting gas cylinders or storing waste water ”.
A clever wording as in French law the motorhome does not constitute a category of vehicles.
I have an underslung tank, not a cylinder. Now about the waste water. What can I do if I am no longer allowed to store it, I ask myself...?

OP
OP
eurajohn
Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G691 LCE
Exp
Since 1974
As usual the post has drifted a bit, the original intention was simply to make people aware that some communes are very keen to restrict motorhomes (vans being lived in or whatever you call them) to areas that have to be paid for.
Of the three I have seen quoted they all have entered into contracts with management companies to implement and maintain a facility, all in what could be described as upmarket areas close to coast or areas that normally attract a lot of day visitors.
They originally simply placed restriction / prohibition notices specifically aimed / worded specifically to motorhomes in and around the areas they wished to stop overnighting of motorhomes, they were taken to law and found the signage and restriction to be unlawful, apparently they have not fallen foul of the law with the restriction mentioned in the OP.
I really can not foresee the likelihood of small out of the way villages implementing such measures.

As some of the replies show, no matter what a commune and or its residents try to implement to stop unwanted overnight parking, there will always be certain members of all nationalities that will try to find ways around them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
As usual the post has drifted a bit, the original intention was simply to make people aware that some communes are very keen to restrict motorhomes (vans being lived in or whatever you call them) to areas that have to be paid for.
Of the three I have seen quoted they all have entered into contracts with management companies to implement and maintain a facility, all in what could be described as upmarket areas close to coast or areas that normally attract a lot of day visitors.
They originally simply placed restriction / prohibition notices specifically aimed / worded specifically to motorhomes in and around the areas they wished to stop overnighting of motorhomes, they were taken to law and found the signage and restriction to be unlawful, apparently they have not fallen foul of the law with the restriction mentioned in the OP.
I really can not foresee the likelihood of small out of the way villages implementing such measures.

As some of the replies show, no matter what a commune and or its residents try to implement to stop unwanted overnight parking, there will always be certain members of all nationalities that will try to find ways around them.

John

I think the reasons that MHomers object, or find ways around, restrictions is that they do not understand the reasons for restrictions on merely parking, when cars, vans and other vehicles are permitted to park.

The restrictions seem to be against 'sleeping' How does that disturb the community?

I have other ideas about what is motivation restrictions but let us just stick to the subject of why communities feel they need them

Geoff

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
John

I think the reasons that MHomers object, or find ways around, restrictions is that they do not understand the reasons for restrictions on merely parking, when cars, vans and other vehicles are permitted to park.

The restrictions seem to be against 'sleeping' How does that disturb the community?

I have other ideas about what is motivation restrictions but let us just stick to the subject of why communities feel they need them

Geoff
I suspect its more to do with the escalating numbers. There also seems to be a sense of entitlement amongst the van lifers.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back