France. First time in the Moho (1 Viewer)

Craigderby

Free Member
Nov 1, 2016
Derby, UK
Funster No
MH
Iveco Daily
Exp
Since 2001
We’re looking to head to France from 21st August for a week or two and would like to pick your brains. We’ve been before, but only when we had a caravan, and rather than staying in one place for the entire time we’d like to do things differently.
It will be the first time we’ve taken the dog and we’re happy with how that works with passports etc, but as a result we are limiting how we get there to the tunnel for ease.
So for the questions.
At that time of year is it reasonable to think that we’ll be able to stay within 2 hours or so of Calais and expect to find somewhere to stay day by day, or do we really need to book?
Can anyone recommend any sites near beeches within that area? Ideally pool on site, and a beach where the dog will be welcome?
In general, are dogs allowed on beaches?
Thank you in advance

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Can't help with sits in the north as live much further south but sure there are many who have toured the north.
Remember it is the school holidays so the coast will be pretty busy.
Reference the beaches a lot of them don't allow dogs in the summer months but once again doggie people I am sure will be along to help you out

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Found this on the Tinernet re Dog Friendly French Beaches

Doug

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Should be OK for finding places to stop as the last really busy week in France is the week with the 15th Aug in it.
Can't help with sites as we don't use them.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Is still the school holidays however.
Reference dogs on the beach , some beaches don't allow dogs in the summer so some doggie people who have toured the north I am sure will b able to help .

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Are you aware that France has a network of stopping places exclusively for motorhomes, called Aires de Camping Car, which most people just call Aires? We use those as much as possible rather than camp site. Have a look at Camper contact. Try using their search facility to look for La Mailleraye. A lovely Aire on the banks of the Seine. They also have an app which will allow you to download all the info onto your smartphone so you have it hand wherever you are. Only costs about a fiver a year and well worth it

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Montreuil sur Mer. No beach but free Aire and you can walk around the walls to the castle or the base for all round. Lots of places in Pas de Calais and the Somme. Aires vary from free to around €10/12 per night, some include electricity and water. ACSI is not available, usually until after the end of August.

OP
OP
Craigderby

Craigderby

Free Member
Nov 1, 2016
Derby, UK
Funster No
MH
Iveco Daily
Exp
Since 2001
Thanks for the replies folks.
I'm much happier to use Aires than forking out for campsites, but having never used them I wasn't sure how busy they tend to get in the summer. I was trying to avoid driving round all the time looking for somewhere to stay, but if that's not likely to be an issue we'll go for that option.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I'm much happier to use Aires than forking out for campsites, but having never used them I wasn't sure how busy they tend to get in the summer. I was trying to avoid driving round all the time looking for somewhere to stay, but if that's not likely to be an issue we'll go for that option.
Have a look at France passion, free parking on farms, vineyard, fisheries, you have to pay to join but we'll worth it.
www.france-passion.com/en/

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The ones near the coast will still be busy, but the answer is to get there lunchtime, after the morning leavers have left and before the afternoon rush.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Montreuil sur Mer. No beach but free Aire and you can walk around the walls to the castle or the base for all round. Lots of places in Pas de Calais and the Somme. Aires vary from free to around €10/12 per night, some include electricity and water. ACSI is not available, usually until after the end of August.
Yes Montreuil is a good one but popular however we stopped overnight in the car park next to the aire, toilet available here. The beaches on the north coast south of Calais are expansive and you will find many will let you take your dog on them if you go to the left or right of the town area. Our Welsh Terrier loves the beach at Wissant as its the only time he's let off the lead...no one about and massive.

jo10000_6

Free Member
Dec 21, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 Classic
Exp
Jan 2018
Hi Craig
Last time I read you your post you were heading to Chatsworth for an initial couple of days in your new to you older Hymer.

I’m guessing it has performed well to be heading to France so do enjoy.

I keep looking at the older slightly bigger ones - have a 1993 B544 - they older ones really turn my head I have to say.

Jo

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Your first shock with a 'Campingcar' in France will be that you are actually welcome! Unlike Britain where in many places you are frowned upon.

Links for discovering Aires etc. in no particular order...

(I would love to expand this list so if anyone can add to it please PM me.)

Our current personal preference is Searchforsites but often a combination of more than one source if information gives the best view of the location.

Where ever you go enjoy your selves, leave no trace of your visit except your tyre marks and keep safe.

Rod

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We always went during school holidays when our daughter was at school and never once booked a site, the only place we had trouble finding a site was one night near Paris.

Searchforsites is good for Aires and campsites you can download the ap and pay around £5 or just use the online version and sign up for free.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Could also recommend camping car parks. They are commercial aires costing 8-12 euros so relatively expensive but have good facilities for water and dumping ehu and wifi. Mainly in the south and west though. You can also check online to see if they're full.

OP
OP
Craigderby

Craigderby

Free Member
Nov 1, 2016
Derby, UK
Funster No
MH
Iveco Daily
Exp
Since 2001
Thank you to everyone for your input. You've put my mind at ease, so I'd going to research a few aires and decide which ones we'd like to try and use.

OP
OP
Craigderby

Craigderby

Free Member
Nov 1, 2016
Derby, UK
Funster No
MH
Iveco Daily
Exp
Since 2001
Hi Craig
Last time I read you your post you were heading to Chatsworth for an initial couple of days in your new to you older Hymer.

I’m guessing it has performed well to be heading to France so do enjoy.

I keep looking at the older slightly bigger ones - have a 1993 B544 - they older ones really turn my head I have to say.

Jo

Yes it's been great. We've been using it for taking my daughter to sailing events, which has been really useful.
We've only had one mishap when a £3 bit of plastic broke in the gear linkage, but it was easy to fix once it was home.

56770730_10218409505011800_1301191382051848192_o.jpg
57485936_10218467156653055_5812739439109079040_o.jpg

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Thank you to everyone for your input. You've put my mind at ease, so I'd going to research a few aires and decide which ones we'd like to try and use.
And don't forget we're here to help when you are there and thinking where next.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back