France clamping down on wild camping (1 Viewer)

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Taken from "le monde du camping-car" and translated using google, good enough to get the gist.
This is one of a number of communes becoming less tolerant of wild camping in tourist areas.

According to the statement of Pierre Geoffroy, Deputy Mayor of Tourism, the future regulations that will be adopted in Port-des-Barques on the subject of the parking of motorhomes will be in accordance with the current decree n ° 05/2017 of January 13 2017. Unsurprisingly, night parking on Ile Madame will remain closed to motorhomes. Only the stage at the campsite (or farm-inn aquaculture) will be allowed.
Concerning the Isle Madame, actually, the decree in force (which is not the one whose justice requested the repeal on January 25, 2018) prohibits the night parking of the motorhomes on the Isle Madame. We were able to consult this text. It does not prohibit the parking of motorhomes during the day, provides reserved parking spaces in the mainland of the town of Port-des-Barques and does not mention the case of day parking on Ile Madame. It could therefore be concluded that this parking is authorized, as long as the vehicle respects the locations marked by a marking on the ground. Difficult for a motorhome 7 meters long ...

Read the interview of P. Geoffroy, Tourism Assistant
"We do not hunt for motorhomes"

Motorhomes or vehicles for residential use?
Note that this decree does not directly target motorhomes. The general parking rules set out in this text apply to vehicles of type M1 (automobiles, motorhomes included). And for special rules, regarding night parking, it is no longer the motorhomes that are designated, but the "Residential vehicles". "Some templates including motorhome, extended trucks, caravans or other oversized vehicles used for accommodation purposes are likely to obstruct the routes and make access difficult for some vehicles such as emergency, cleaning of roads , fishing professionals ... "

Prohibited night parking
For these vehicles of habitable nature, the rule on the Isle Madame is the night ban: "The night parking of vehicles of habitable nature, outside the aforementioned areas and hours [8 am to 10 pm, Ed], will be considered in offense."
Google Translate for Business:Translator ToolkitWebsite Translator
About Google TranslateCommunityMobileAbout GooglePrivacy & TermsHelpSend feedback

OP
OP
filopastry

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
tolls or slow.jpg

Speed or cost

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I can understand it in the highly popular tourist areas on the coast, Belgium did the same some years ago (only on the coast).

Can't see it happening in more rural areas where shops and restaurants are closing at an alarming rate. They rely on Motorhomes to keep the village alive. We have been in restaurants where 90% of the customers were from Motorhomes overnighting in the carpark.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
It’s not new. “Regulated Camping” is common throughout the most popular tourist areas in France. You will see small, square, blue signs depicting a Caravan and prohibiting Caravan/motorhome “wild” Camping, saying Camping is only allowed at recognised sites.

With the number of camp sites and Aires available in France it has never created a problem for us in our motorhome. When we towed a Caravan for a short period it was more problematic as we couldn’t use Aires.

France is probably still the most user friendly country for motorhomes.:france:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Don't think it's the end of motorhoming as we know it in France
Always a airs sum whare to park in
If not ther is always a barr or caffe car park
Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Does this apply to “ le jungle “ at Calais.
Or just those who can be prosecuted. :):):)

I suppose, having a camper, when “le bobbies”
Ask you leave, shrug your shoulders, jump in the drivers seat and move to another village/town and spend your € ;)

Oct 14, 2011
Chichester,West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Wildax Hi Top
Exp
Since 2002
I agree entirely with DBK.
We used to go to Port-des-Barques frequently.We have also braved the causeway in our motorhome to drive round Île Madame.There is a campsite on the Île as the article says but that is about all.It is very exposed and windy and much better to park overnight on the mainland.
Camping Municipal La Garenne is open March to November and is also ACSI.There are also 2 perfectly good Aires with water/dumping just yards back from the sea.
To restrict overnight parking on the Île makes perfect sense to me.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
There's a campsite on the Ile Madame, and one opposite the tidal causeway on the mainland. It'd be a nice spot to stop overnight but it's easy to see how it could get silly if too many latch onto it. Last time we were there we just cycled to it and back, leaving the MH near the causeway.

OP
OP
filopastry

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
The heading really is just how the Daily Mail would head it..

This is also happening in many many other coastal areas, personally I agree with it simply posted to advise those not lucky enough to live here that there is an upsurge in anti-wild camping in France as seems to be the case in Spain. Royan, Saint Palais, Arcachon also having maries that are not only becoming less tolerant but actually installing "no motorhome" signs that are being frequently challenged my "le monde du camping-car". The theory than motorhomes use local services whilst happens occasionally is not the rule of thumb as most I suspect like us, fill up stores at supermarkets.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Ile Madame? First time I hear this name/place! Is it a big Island?

Heard of Haute Garonne? Well ... May be about the same population, I would even think there are many more people in Haute Garonne! And? Just a tiny part of France. Many Mairies have already been warned by the large motorhomers community that they would go to court. It has already worked more than once! To me lots of blahblahblah.
If French people get angry .... you know how vicious they can be. They could invade a whole town for days if necessary. It might work in some isolated places , but the vast majority won't move a finger against motorhomes, unless may be on the Est cost. But then , there are reasons. The traffic gets completly stuck in summer with cars only, let alone with motorhomes , and I can understand this.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Any chance the Deputy Mayor of Tourism also owns the campsite on the island, or maybe its just his best mate ?

OP
OP
filopastry

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
@yodeli you have never heard of the Ile de Madame ? just a stones throw from Fort Boyard. Lovely part of the coast, 90 minutes from my home but we never visit between June and September ... too many tourists:D:D

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Nope!..... Ile Madame is too far away from me obviously. Heard of Fort Boyard BAM as it's also a TV program, but it doesn't usually say what are the surroundings like. I very seldom go that way as I prefer the sea to the ocean to start with, and .... I like my fix of real hot sun, so when I have hols I either stay where I live or go to the seaside, where I've always been since a child or ....I go to Portugal if JJ didn't want to come to my place (a bit far !)
TBH the very first time I've heard of Oradour sur Glane .... it was on here! I 've asked my Dad , before his terrible illness.... Alz.... if he could remember of any place with that name. Ah non, he said ,c'est où?
And he's far far from an uneducated person!
We don't really know west France

Oct 14, 2011
Chichester,West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Wildax Hi Top
Exp
Since 2002
Camdoon,
I followed your link and somehow ended up on their French Facebook page.They are a “non profit making organisation” based in Limoges.
They have set up info for tourists as an alternative to Aires.
It appears they have competitions to offer the best facilities to us all.
Wild Camping is alive and well in France.
Helen

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Plenty of aires in France to stay at! France and Germany are the best places to cater for motorhomes. Why upset the locals by trying to wild camp when there are plenty of legitimate places to go? It will only lead to more restrictions against us!

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Camdoon,
I followed your link and somehow ended up on their French Facebook page.They are a “non profit making organisation” based in Limoges.
They have set up info for tourists as an alternative to Aires.
It appears they have competitions to offer the best facilities to us all.
Wild Camping is alive and well in France.
Helen
Yes, if you sign up they send you stuff. They are now, in a French way, producing stuff in English although this book isn't. We are still at the racing south for the sun stage for another 2 years until our youngest is off our hands but a nice meal and wander around a little village are very much part of the holiday.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back