France.......but where are the French????? (1 Viewer)

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Having decided not to go abroad this year due to that which cannot be named and the situation regarding our dog's passport/rabies situation, sitting under a brolley, trying to avoid the huge raindrops outside a coffee shop in town, we got talking about why we go abroad. The weather, fittingly, was our first reason, but then we got thinking about the "differences". These, generally come in two forms, the good and the bad. Good ones are everywhere, the scenery, being given a liqueur at the end of a meal when you didn't expect it, not paying your bar tab till you leave and the kindness of strangers. Bad ones can vary depending on circumstances too, finding you've run out of an item for lunch, only to find the shops are shut for the next 3 hours or trying every plastic card in your wallet to pay for fuel when you're running on fumes with a ferry to catch. Maybe France is just too different for some folks ?
Getting back to the deserted villages though, nearly every one has that bloody great big Pharmacie sign that displays the temp/time, maybe everyone is indoors being poorly ?

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
A few years ago whilst sat outside a church in Portugal I got talking to a little old Dutch lady. We explained our travels all over Europe and she said "Young man, France has everything! you have no need to go elsewhere".

I was a little put out at first........ then she mentioned that France offers Seaside, Mountains, Plains, Forests, Hot, Cold, Sun, Snow, Culture, Good food, Wine.............

Then I realised she was right. In France you can ski,surf, roast in the sun or chill in the snow, climb mountains, walk through forests, eat well, drink well, go rural or go city....... it's all there!

We love France (y)

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
I had read the various comments bothfor and against France and the French without any serious thoughts of posting until I read what imho was a tasteless "joke" from busby.

Thinking that I was allowed an opinion, I am still a British subject sadly reliant on GBP for our pensions, I posted it. chaser, others may criticise France from afar but I may not criticise Britain? Hmm.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I had read the various comments bothfor and against France and the French without any serious thoughts of posting until I read what imho was a tasteless "joke" from busby.

Thinking that I was allowed an opinion, I am still a British subject sadly reliant on GBP for our pensions, I posted it. chaser, others may criticise France from afar but I may not criticise Britain? Hmm.
Think you will find I have praised France all through the thread that doesn't mean I have to run down the UK.

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
A few years ago whilst sat outside a church in Portugal I got talking to a little old Dutch lady. We explained our travels all over Europe and she said "Young man, France has everything! you have no need to go elsewhere".

I was a little put out at first........ then she mentioned that France offers Seaside, Mountains, Plains, Forests, Hot, Cold, Sun, Snow, Culture, Good food, Wine.............

Then I realised she was right. In France you can ski,surf, roast in the sun or chill in the snow, climb mountains, walk through forests, eat well, drink well, go rural or go city....... it's all there!

We love France (y)
That's why a huge proportion of the French have never set foot outside the country. They don't need to.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
what you said is quite right and but there are still people in the uk who love this country and trying to put it right , not running off to another country then criticising from afar.
that said i have nothing against france as i have said in numerous posts on this thread.
I don’t think anyone is running away, people move away for whatever their reasons are and sometimes when they give these reasons they are unjustly criticised.

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
The occasional comment on the state of the nation you might get from Brits living elsewhere is unquestionably being repeated many, many times over within the UK by those who love their country and are utterly aghast at what the hell has happened over the past three years.

Those at home are being lambasted by Leavers as snowflakes, Remoaners, chicken-livered, traitorous enemies of the country and have been ostracised and bullied by friends and family who have been caught up in the near-hysteria of the Leave faction.

Attempts to silence or belittle comment from those who have earned their right to make a critical observation, by reason of being born British and contributing to the country over many years, wherever they now choose to live, is just another example of the mind-set of those who seem bent on putting The UK over the edge.

Forgive us for having the temerity to express our concerns about the very uncertain future facing everyone, living in the UK or elsewhere....

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

We love France (y)

Did you ask the Dutch Lady why she was sitting in Portugal?

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I don’t think anyone is running away, people move away for whatever their reasons are and sometimes when they give these reasons they are unjustly criticised.

For example, I moved to Poland to be with my Lady and she is tied here, as particularly her 98 year-old Mother is here, plus other family.

I would feel entitled to comment on happenings in the UK, including politics and economics, as apart from anything else, all my income originates there and all my income is taxed there. Also I am British and an English lawyer, so I am qualified to comment on English Law, which might affect my circumstances, but not in any other jurisdiction to comment on their laws.

I would respect a Frenchman living in UK excercising the same rights about happenings in France.

Geoff

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
i dont know if these last few posts are directed solely at me , if they are , i have nothing against anyone living in france, in fact julie lived and taught there, in fact we both love to be in france and the thread was mostly in praise of france untill someone started to change it into a uk knocking thread , all i was doing was replying in kind.

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
i dont know if these last few posts are directed solely at me , if they are , i have nothing against anyone living in france, in fact julie lived and taught there, in fact we both love to be in france and the thread was mostly in praise of france untill someone started to change it into a uk knocking thread , all i was doing was replying in kind.

No, that's evident from your posts - I think it may just have been the phrase 'not running off to another country then criticising from afar' might just have touched nerves....:)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
A lot of the whinghy Remainer brigade live abroad don’t they?

I wonder why that is?

So we have morally superior remainers at home and now abroad.

I think I must have voted the wrong way.

Either that or I am morally corrupt :rolleyes:

Deleted User
I think I must have voted the wrong way.

You did:)
Either that or I am morally corrupt :rolleyes:

Self realisation:)

"
Self-realization is a term used in Eastern religions, yoga philosophy, psychological theories and other spiritual schools of thought. It denotes a state in which an individual knows who they truly are and is fulfilled in that understanding."(y)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Mine wasn’t and I’m sorry if you thought it was.
I was really referring to a few who seem to take great delight in negatively commenting on some people’s choices that appear to be different to their own.
And not just aimed at where people choose to live.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
If you Brits had suffered at the hands of the Nazis or other German invaders in the same way as the French you may not be quite so quick with the tasteless comments.

No one forces you to visit France,if you don't like it then stay aboard your pathetic little sinking ship.
Calm down dear,,you will have a coronary..It's called humour but missing from some.BUSBY.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
You did:)

Self realisation:)

"
Self-realization is a term used in Eastern religions, yoga philosophy, psychological theories and other spiritual schools of thought. It denotes a state in which an individual knows who they truly are and is fulfilled in that understanding."(y)

Bollox in plain English then?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Lighten up Lot Lover,,your sounding like a snowflake..Not meant with any nastiness..What has happened now days to old fashioneď banter.BUSBY.??

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Yes Larby, on the Municipal, nice site and handy for the town.
We stayed here last year and what a find!
Lovely site, nice pool, scenic walk into town.
La Flèche is similar to our Sandhurst for the military and whilst we were in town, the recruits had all met for a coffee or beer in the cafe bar in the square whilst we were there. Everyone was really friendly and polite.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
busby - sadly I cannot know what you meant, I only know what you wrote.

Your sense of humour appears to be of the Jo Brand variety, as in unfunny but each to his own as they say.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Crikey! this thread has become more about defending or attacking personal views and less about the core subject :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Tincataylor

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Many thanks for all the replies and views expressed in relation to our original post. For what it's worth we have thoroughly enjoyed our first French tour and we look forward to exploring other parts of the country on future trips. Thread's tend to meander off the subject for reasons best known to those who do so, but the majority of you have made for interesting reading. We will board the ferry back to Plymouth tomorrow with the same mixed emotions we always have. We love to travel, but we also love our home in Sunny Deb'n so I guess we have the best of both worlds.

We have the Upton Blues Festival and the Royal Welsh Show to look forward to next so if any of you pass a van with the TINCA number plate then please stop and say hello

The Tincas

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Many thanks for all the replies and views expressed in relation to our original post. For what it's worth we have thoroughly enjoyed our first French tour and we look forward to exploring other parts of the country on future trips. Thread's tend to meander off the subject for reasons best known to those who do so, but the majority of you have made for interesting reading. We will board the ferry back to Plymouth tomorrow with the same mixed emotions we always have. We love to travel, but we also love our home in Sunny Deb'n so I guess we have the best of both worlds.

We have the Upton Blues Festival and the Royal Welsh Show to look forward to next so if any of you pass a van with the TINCA number plate then please stop and say hello

The Tincas

Safe journey home and for the first time in a while there are blue skies and sunshine over Devon.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Where does one start?
UK govt has lost control of Parliament
NHS seems to need billions of pounds, thousands of doctors and nurses
Roads are hopelessly overcrowded, just potholes joined together
Population more divided than ever,rich vs poor, Scotland refuses to accept democratic vote of U.K.over Brexit
Too many parasites taking from too few taxpayers
Brexit "negotiations" have made UK a laughing stock everywhere except U.K.
Appearing to believe that a trade deal with Trump will be good for U.K.
Concreting the countryside to build more and more shoeboxes and wondering why flooding prevalent
But there may be more

The forums are better in the UK though don't you think. :RollEyes:

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
France and the French are not worth a visit.

It's a miserable country full of boring people spending all their time with friends and family and not out shopping or spending the weekends at B and Q buying little bedding plants, or watching endless reality television or football. They are so miserable and rude they have to spend time sitting outside in the sun hogging the tables drinking wine beer and eating, and to be totally obnoxious actually talking to strangers. (they even have the audacity to talk to people they have never met in public.) The bloody cheek of it.

Their houses and gardens make you want to weep because they are so anal about making things look nice, because of their civic pride and want it to be nice for visitors and neighbours. They keep their children under control in public, and my God, actually say "good day, evening, night, to TOTAL strangers. (Do you know they will even HELP total strangers if they get into trouble, on Aires, or stuck in the sand in your motorhome near the beach, without permission or prompting, The damn insolence of it!)

For the love of God, What's WRONG with these people.... ???

My advice to you good upstanding British folk is simple. For your own sanity AVOID FRANCE. (you have been warned)

Last edited:
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
France and the French are not worth a visit. It's a miserable country full of boring people spending all their time with friends and family and not out shopping or spending the weekends at B and Q buying little bedding plants, or watching endless reality television or football. They are so miserable and rude they have to spend time sitting outside in the sun hogging the tables drinking wine beer and eating, and to be totally obnoxious actually talking to strangers. (they even have the audacity to talk to people they have never met in public. The bloody cheek of it.

Their houses and gardens make you want to weep because they are so anal about making things look nice, because of their pride and want it to be nice for visitors and neighbours. They keep their children under control in public, and my God, actually say "good day, evening, night, to TOTAL strangers. (Do you know they will even HELP total strangers if they get into trouble, on Aires, or stuck in the sand in your motorhome near the beach without permission, The damn insolence of it!)

My advice to you good upstanding British folk is simple. For your own sanity AVOID FRANCE. (you have been warned)

I keep on saying it and I’ll say that’s nearly what I say every time why do people go there...?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
France and the French are not worth a visit.

It's a miserable country full of boring people spending all their time with friends and family and not out shopping or spending the weekends at B and Q buying little bedding plants, or watching endless reality television or football. They are so miserable and rude they have to spend time sitting outside in the sun hogging the tables drinking wine beer and eating, and to be totally obnoxious actually talking to strangers. (they even have the audacity to talk to people they have never met in public.) The bloody cheek of it.

Their houses and gardens make you want to weep because they are so anal about making things look nice, because of their civic pride and want it to be nice for visitors and neighbours. They keep their children under control in public, and my God, actually say "good day, evening, night, to TOTAL strangers. (Do you know they will even HELP total strangers if they get into trouble, on Aires, or stuck in the sand in your motorhome near the beach, without permission or prompting, The damn insolence of it!)

Is all that stuff alien to you then? You could have been describing anywhere I've lived in the UK for the past 30 years.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back