France August/September (1 Viewer)

Jul 21, 2011
Up’t North West
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
We will be traveling from Dunkirk via Luxembourg to Alsace area for 2 week stay taking 7 days to get to Ribeauville. Then hopefully go across to the Pilote factory in La Limouzniefe on the west side of France and then back to Dunkirk.
After the ferry on Friday we intended to shop at Auchan then onto Luxembourg. Can anyone suggest an interesting stopover (aire) in between for one or two nights. After 3 nights in Luxembourg we will be travelling down to Ribeauville taking 2 days+. Again can anyone suggest aires for stopovers near insteresting towns.
I know it’s a big ask but can anyone surggest stopovers between Ribeauville, La Limouzniefe and then to Dunkirk taking 2 weeks.
Thank you.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
That is one hell of a journey.
If I have understood this right you are going to the west coast of france after Ribeauville, but taking at least 7 of your 14 days before travelling west.
I would take a look at your itinerary but .... Try Bergues and Givet for the first part. Eguishem or any village nearby for the Alsace part. Mesnil st pere or anything on the marne followed by Blois. Then for the way back Fougeres/st michaels mount and Honfleurs/Montreuil.

That should give you some googling time (images)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
That is one hell of a journey.
If I have understood this right you are going to the west coast of france after Ribeauville, but taking at least 7 of your 14 days before travelling west.
I would take a look at your itinerary but .... Try Bergues and Givet for the first part. Eguishem or any village nearby for the Alsace part. Mesnil st pere or anything on the marne followed by Blois. Then for the way back Fougeres/st michaels mount and Honfleurs/Montreuil.

That should give you some googling time (images)

I agree it is ambitious and in July/Augst when the French are on holiday and it is hot; would not be my choice, but I suppose you have your raeasons - maybe school holidays, but that does not explain the 2 weeks.

You do not say when you arrive Dunkirk. If it is late then after Auchan then Bergues, as suggested, is very nice, no facilities but very nice town 5 mins. walk.

If you arrive early you may want to press on further as Bergues is only 25 mins. from Port/Auchan.

Geoff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D
Jul 21, 2011
Up’t North West
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
thanks Suavecarve and Geoff for you imput.
We will be leaving Dover 10:00hrs DFDS ferry to Dunkirk 31st August, After Auchan for supplies then Gravelines Aire for the night night or we were thinking of Ypes for a couple of days at Camping Jeugdstadion, Luxembourg Camping Kockelscheuer (stayed there 2016), Nancy aire (again stayed 2016) or any suggested aire before Camping Municipal Obernal.
Its after Ribeauville on the 20th September back to Dunkirk for the ferry on the 05th October 10:00 ferry I'm trying too put together. I would like to use mix of aires and campsites. I know including the Pilote factory at La Limouzniefe would be a bit ambitious.
Colin

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Colmar - a marina aire about 20 mins walk from the town centre. Grassy pitches if you need them. The town is lovely.

Strasbourg - we used Camping Indigo and got the tram to the centre, but of the two we preferred Colmar.

I can't see why traversing France East to West then back up to Dunkirk is a big deal in a fortnight - we'd be across it in two days if we had a good reason.

Anyway, east of Troyes you've got the parking spot near the lakes at Mesnil Saint Pere. No facilities last time we were there but it's free.

Dijon's nice if you don't mind a bit of a detour. Aire and municipal campsite together near Lac Kir.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back