France at end of March (1 Viewer)

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
We have a couple of weeks annual leave to use before the end of March. We would normally go to my sister in law's house in the Algarve but thought we would try France as we now have a motorhome. It won't be as warm I know but how far south do we need to go to get some weather that is better than the UK? We got as far as the Dordogne in June with our 16 days. And is it better towards the coast or inland? I know end of March can be variable in the UK so expect it to be similarly variable in France. Just looking for a concensus opinion.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i guess you would need to be in the Arles area / Nimes that area seems to have its own micro climate. or maybe even the Perpignone coastal area.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I have sat on the beach in shorts and tee shirt near Royan on the west coast in February. (y)(y)

I would definitely go as far south as you could and stay near the sea, either Med or Atlantic.

But really check the weather forecast before you go and head for the best weather where ever it is. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We had non-stop lovely weather in the run up to Easter a couple of years ago, touring the Ardeche, Auvergne, Dordogne and Charente-Maritime regions. I'd say your best chance of decent weather is going no further north than Bordeaux. I don't like the French central Med coast much - too many newish resorts. I prefer the Biarritz area if I'm going that far south. You can get a free Meteo France mobile App for weather forecasts - it's not bad.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Most places in France a couple of hundred miles south will probably be warmer than the UK, but as you have 14 days to play with, you will easily get down to the Med. We prefer the Spanish end, and from there, it's an easy jaunt to Barcelona.

OP
OP
stevec
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
We fancy some cycling. Any idea if the Ile de Re is busy over the Easter weekend. Its at the end of March this year.

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
We fancy some cycling. Any idea if the Ile de Re is busy over the Easter weekend. Its at the end of March this year.

Nowhere will be busy until July/August, camping caristes will be out and about from early March but most everywhere will be quiet....

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Just head South, won't be tropical but will be warmer than the north. Somewhere near the Alpilles would have lots to look at and explore. Perfect for Orange, St Remy, Arles, Avignon, Pont du Gard, Les Baux and other bits. We usually take the last chunnel train of the day and get down South by 11 ish next morning, with a stop.

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Ile de Re is wonderful, we go there every year for a few days to cycle and chill. Not sure about the weather tho, prob be better than here at least !!!!

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Been at Parc Verger end of March 30+ degrees glorious Sun.
Also been here end of March 15- and wet n soggy!

Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
Il de re can be very windy and feel cold in March would recommend the med an for cycling the canal du midi. We did it last year and the weather was quite good.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
At our place in Burgundy March can be very cold although we have the ( occasional) warm day.

We would suggest you need to be in the Rhone valley area if travelling in Central/Eastern France. Avignon, Arles etc.

The West coast can be cold, windy and wet in March.

Wherever you go you will find something to do, see and taste. Enjoy!(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back