Francaise, franglais...or Del boy ? (1 Viewer)

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
I Find if I can say hello/goodby and please/thank you in there language they will always help me with anything in between and sometimes it can be quite funny. Having said that I'm still struggling with English but I can speak proper Yorkshire

Our first language is Yorkshire, which makes very difficult for our neighbours in France to understand my best efforts. I sometimes have our neighbours in stitches when listening to my French. I walked into their house whilst they had English visitors and said Hiya. For the next half hour Isabelle was heard to be muttering Hiya whilst I spelt it out for her.
They appreciate the fact that I try, Google translate helps, but is not to be relied on.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
We have been living in France for around 14 years and our French grammer is still pretty awful.
But, we have just got back home from a 7 hour lunch and a drunken game of Boules with our local old folks club and to be honest, as usual, we have had little trouble communicating with our fellow French members.
We have always found that if you make an attempt to speak the language then folks really appreciate it and go out of their way to be hospitable.
We have always found the, French, outside of Paris, to be really friendly, even though they can't understand why the Brits voted to leave the EU.
Like most europeans they are of the opinion that the UK has already got one of the best deals of all the EU countries, but then that is for another thread may be

Jan 30, 2012
doncaster
Funster No
MH
a class
This is me in a Carrefour;
ME; bonjour madam ,deux baguette avec Jambon et fromage sil vous plait . (rubbish i know).

Reply:2 Ham and Cheese sandwiches monsieur?.

ME; Aye! that'll do do nicely thanks.

I learned that and a little bit more 50 years ago at school, it gets me by but, because i tried i got a bit of respect. many french do reply in english, its good practice for them. What you don't need is the grammar police getting involved, they confuse matters further.;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Rusty Pumper

Free Member
Mar 10, 2017
Funster No
Lots of good comments above. During my travels abroad, whichever country I'm in I'll learn the basics, i.e., please, thank you, etc, out of courtesy of being in a foreign country - I've observed that locals, especially French locals tend to respond positively to this.

At minimum,take a phrase book and try to speak whatever language; at least you can point to a phrase even if you can't pronounce it. Google translate is a good back up, especially the camera facility to point and visually translate signs. However speak very slowly as the app can often misinterpret what you're trying to translate. Bonne chance (Good luck)!!

Aug 3, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
3 years campervan, many as a tugger
Language barrier ? What language barrier? Our lovely daughter Celia has a learning disability and is non verbal. She has a gorgeous smile though and uses sounds and gestures to communicate, making us many new friends in whatever country we are in. As for me, my pathetic attempts at the language are usually well received. I’ve learnt to give it a go,...

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
@OldAgeTravellers

Shame on me Steve, I use "deffo" only because I've never been able to remember the spelling of the whole word. I've tried many times but seems to be stupid when it comes to this word lol! Never thought though it was for teenagers mainly, having read it on here so many times. I've learnt something else today.

French are very lazy when speaking, resto is shorter , easier, and somehow it means "why make it difficult when you can make it easy".

As you said all the people from different countries have their uses.
I've noticed that a lot of people use acronyms. I find it so difficult to understand, but there again, I am the foreign bit on here, so either I ask right away what it stands for, or look up on the internet to try and find the full meaning.
No problem you using "deffo", you are only a teenager after all and we all understand every word.
I must correct you though, you are not "the foreign BIT on here" you are the "foreign BINT on here". Because BINT is an old slang word for; girl, lady, female etc. Not for polite conversation outside east London though.:D. Don't worry about getting it all correct, "U tawk bedder English than wot most of us duz";) sorry that's Sarf London Tawk not East London I am sure a Cornishman or Yorkshireman will "definitely" (deffo) disagree on the pronunciation though.
Steve

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
it's alreet @OldAgeTravellers we get the gist, we from Gods country are rather forgiving, hell, we have the best of nearly all things we can afford to be generous. Lived this side o't watter for a while now and the French aint for makin life easy just look at the list of "les conjugaison" it's enough to make a mans eyes water. My French friends tell me that not many French understand all of them. At 62 years young my wife is still trying to get me to talk proper English so although I can converse in French, have passed exams in French (microlight aircraft /ULM), worked in France delivering to French market gardeners I will never be able to use all the tenses and I speak mainly in the present. If the whole world spoke Yorkshire it'd be reet grand for us all. Originally from Bradford (behave) the Telegraph&Argus used to have a weekly column in dialect I think it was called " The Tyke" used to love reading it, sometimes had to say the words out load to understand them though

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Language barrier ? What language barrier? Our lovely daughter Celia has a learning disability and is non verbal. She has a gorgeous smile though and uses sounds and gestures to communicate, making us many new friends in whatever country we are in. As for me, my pathetic attempts at the language are usually well received. I’ve learnt to give it a go,...
This reminds me of our 2nd son when he was 11 or 12 or so, now in his late thirties, who who would speak English loudly and clearly, and would add "o" or "io" to the English word, and, with a few hand gestures, was understood by all. How this worked in French I have no idea. I think his big blue eyes and boyish charm had something to do with it.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
I was on another motorhome forum recently and someone asked in broken pigeon franglais about the tour de france next year.” nous going a la tour”. I was amazed that anyone could publicly show how ignorant they were.I resisted the temptation to slag her off,just leaving a cryptic comment,then It crossed my mind that maybe most people(english) dont bother with any foreign languages because they can expect foreigners to understand us! This may be the case in northern france and the low countries,but I know when I had problems with my campervan this year down SW France,if I hadn’t had a bit of french I would’ve been screwed.I got the feeling some of the locals went out of their way not to talk english. So I just wonder how many of you guys make an effort to comunicate when in europe..or am I just talking out of my derrière ?

I have found most French people are shy to use English. When I ask them they usually reply " Just a little" and in fact there English is quiet good. Once they see me trying to speak French and making a complete cock up of it that seems to give them the confidence to speak English. How many people would be able to speak French in the UK if they had a problem?

Jun 17, 2015
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
July 2015 plus 20 years of camping
If you have a phone/tablet and are prepared to spend 5-10 minutes a day, then Duolingo is a really useful app.

I've just completed the French course, and now I'm going over it again while using other internet sources to get a deeper understanding. My aim is just to feel a bit more confident while on my hols.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
If you have a phone/tablet and are prepared to spend 5-10 minutes a day, then Duolingo is a really useful app.

I've just completed the French course, and now I'm going over it again while using other internet sources to get a deeper understanding. My aim is just to feel a bit more confident while on my hols.
I've got the free version, which only goes so far. Michel Thomas is good, I might go back to it for a refresh (CD pack)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
it's alreet @OldAgeTravellers we get the gist, we from Gods country are rather forgiving, hell, we have the best of nearly all things we can afford to be generous. Lived this side o't watter for a while now and the French aint for makin life easy just look at the list of "les conjugaison" it's enough to make a mans eyes water. My French friends tell me that not many French understand all of them. At 62 years young my wife is still trying to get me to talk proper English so although I can converse in French, have passed exams in French (microlight aircraft /ULM), worked in France delivering to French market gardeners I will never be able to use all the tenses and I speak mainly in the present. If the whole world spoke Yorkshire it'd be reet grand for us all. Originally from Bradford (behave) the Telegraph&Argus used to have a weekly column in dialect I think it was called " The Tyke" used to love reading it, sometimes had to say the words out load to understand them though
Blimey, I'd forgotten all about The Tyke :)

Heaton boy :)

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Gerrin on a bit ----- by -----Author Dennis Rhodes
If you listen to the link below, it the verse spoken, a little help fer't forinna's

Tha’ll appen bi frettin abaht gerrin a bit owd
Mebbe loisin thi luks an thi charm
All thi wild oats 'll ev long sin bin sowed
It'll bi all tha c'n do ter keep wahm

Nah doant thee worry, it int all bad
At last tha's a life on thi own
Noa gaffer shahtin "Jump to it lad"
A lot o' thi troubles 'as flown

Tha dunt ev ter gerrup at crack o' dawn
Noa need ter set thi alarm
If tha wants tha c'n lig i' bed of a morn
It dunt do nob'dy no 'arm

Tha'll ev time fer thi 'obbies whativver the' ahr
Er just sit aht an watch t'flahers grow
W’en tha gets stalled jump on t'bus er i' t'car
Ther's plenty o' places ter go

Mind thee, it int entirely a carefree life
Ther's one thing tha allus mun do
That's keep a wary e'e aht fer t'wife
Else shi'll finnd thee a job er two

Aye, nahadays the' tend ter worship youth
Gerrin owd's too awful ter mention
But tha can't stop t'clock an that's the truth
An life's noan ser bad on t'pension

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014

Shall I train you a bit?
Bonjour Monsieur, vous désirez?
Un emplacement pour camping car s'il vous plait.
Vous désirez avoir l'électricité?
Oui, s'il vous plait

Nous avons des emplacements raccordés au tout-à-l’égout, désirez-vous être raccordé?
Oui, Merci.

Bonne soirée Monsieur (unless it's Madame!)

Amicalement
Frankie(y)

roamingman

Banned
Mar 14, 2014
Angus
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
2012, tents, caravan. 1990
Trying to speak the language, reminds me of a story l heard many many years ago when I was driving HGV'S around Europe, English driver when asked my customs officer in Germany to look at paperwork, he said non spraken German, the officer sat back in his chair and said when we come to England we speak English when you come to Germany you should speak German, before he could say anything guy standing next to him pushed his head through the window and said look mate if we could speak German when we have the next war we would beat you quicker because we would understand all your messages. Well the customs officer went blue in the face thew all the paperwork in the air and very quickly stamped his papers and told him to go quickly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back