Foxy Proxy (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Suspect the thread title will either mean everything or nothing to you! So...returned yesterday from three weeks in France. We fancied watching telly in the evenings, but soon found French TV pretty uninspiring. No satellite dish, and we then discovered that when we had internet connection, we couldn't watch UK channels on I-player etc as it is not available outside UK.

Anyway - cutting a long story short, I found out about the FoxyProxy service offered by Firefox, the internet search engine. For £8 [even free if you cancel the order within three days] this bypasses the restriction and gives you access to all the UK channels. The process of doing it sounds complex but I managed it and I'm a techy numpty. I'll post more details on how to use it if anyone's interested.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Suspect the thread title will either mean everything or nothing to you! So...returned yesterday from three weeks in France. We fancied watching telly in the evenings, but soon found French TV pretty uninspiring. No satellite dish, and we then discovered that when we had internet connection, we couldn't watch UK channels on I-player etc as it is not available outside UK.

Anyway - cutting a long story short, I found out about the FoxyProxy service offered by Firefox, the internet search engine. For £8 [even free if you cancel the order within three days] this bypasses the restriction and gives you access to all the UK channels. The process of doing it sounds complex but I managed it and I'm a techy numpty. I'll post more details on how to use it if anyone's interested.

Eric, I read your last thread on your France tour...I am sorry that France was not what you was expecting!...I think, you did not come at all geared up for France ...France is not the UK cheap dongles (3, 4, 5 gb) endless wifi....television without a receiver and dish....the French TV channels are not like the uk.still on the old Dallas:Doh:..Here in France the TV seems to be game shows and dubbed american old films...Mmmm not good at all..for a brit that like's tv...if you come back to France it may be better to get a few add on's.

We use http://expatshield.com/ to watch..I player...if the wife has missed any thing...completely free..
The rest of the time home and away we use the sat dish with a UK receiver

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Now a question from another numpty re things like ex-pat sheild

if it gives you a supposed uk ip addy for watching i player, what about the download/upload use charges does it confuse whichever supplier in say france so you dont get charged for the download/upload usage?
Is it just for the likes of i-player so is sort of program specific or could it be used to keep 'high roaming charges at bay'?
Or another way to look at it when using does it use your english dongles allowance for in the uk (which are usually a lot better than any roaming/french dongle charges)

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
dongles - re internet access

you must have a form of accessing the internet whichever country you travel in be it through a dongle or mifi to connect to use i-player or even through tethering your phone unless of course you only use 'hotspots' so i was asking does it get charged at roaming rates or does the false isp confuse it and it comes off whatever allowance you have on your chosen method of connecting to the internet normally be that t-mobile, 3, vodafone etc

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back