Four New Tyres, Life is so Very Hard......... (1 Viewer)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I knew we needed two new rear tyres. However, the fronts came as a big surprise......Toddled off to my local tyre guy, always found them helpful, and 'up for a deal'. They inspected all (5), and this came as a bit of a shock.

1. FLH. Fairly new, decent make, Plenty of tread. (Now the spare).
2. FRH. A Firestone, date of manufacture.....2001. :(
3. RLH. A Michelin, date of manufacture........1999. :eek:
4. RRH. Another Michelin, date couldn't be read. A 'part worn' tyre.
5. Spare. Another Firestone. date of manufacture.....1998.:eek:

And so, four new General Eurovan 2 tyres. Cost, just £300, including fitting, new valves, and balance. Not bad, I thought. Been expecting £400 +. Sloopy drove much better on the way home.

Cant get over that tyre age!! :notworthy:

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Tootles Very surprised at u normally your very switched on, in fact am sure you posted on this before highlighting this problem to others
Lucky boy u never had a blow out which happened to me when the tyres were only six years old had loads of tread looked fine but obviously wasn't
As they say everyday a school day even for u mate

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Tootles

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Tootles Very surprised at u normally your very switched on, in fact am sure you posted on this before highlighting this problem to others
Lucky boy u never had a blow out which happened to me when the tyres were only six years old had loads of tread looked fine but obviously wasn't
As they say everyday a school day even for u mate

We bought Sloopy late last year. I inspected all the tyres, (from underneath as well), for side wall splits/damage, and possible bulges, but nothing. Dave Newall pointed out to us that they were passed their best, but hey, the budget is the budget, and being as satisfied as I could be about condition, I left them until now, (half knowing that the fronts, as good as they looked, were possibly for renewal).
Even the tyre chap today commented on the old tyres condition, saying that for their age, they were in pretty good nick.
Anyway, job done........Risk I know, but needs must. I tried to buy campervan tyres, but they don't make them in our size, however, the read up on these General tyres is pretty good, plus, we had Grabbers on our Jeep Cherokee, and they lasted really well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back