Four go to France (Mousy, Mr Mousy, Cliff and Ger) (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
My wife hankers after a 2CV to potter around over there.
But does that for sale sign say €7000:eek: or is it €700:whistle:
Your weather is looking mighty good you lucky people.(y)

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
My wife hankers after a 2CV to potter around over there.
But does that for sale sign say €7000:eek: or is it €700:whistle:
Your weather is looking mighty good you lucky people.(y)

Yes you almost read it right - €7500 :eek: I think the Leonard at €1,200,000 is better value - at least you could get your shopping in the boot! :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Correction - the last one you bought had solid tyres:LOL:

Ah you remember that car too, I recall you were showing me, (your Apprentice) how to inflate a solid tyre. I seem to remember it took you quite a while to catch on.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Alas young @Popeye your memory must be as bad as mine. Don't you remember you were the apprentice operating the footpump, your face was going a dark shade of puce with the effort you were putting into the process.:mad: I also recall your many visits to the stores for cans of black and white striped paint. Oh how we laughed.:D Despite your demotion to the sales dept. you haven't done too bad.;)

Mr. T. Las (workshop foreman):rolleyes:

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
What a difference a day makes! We had one of those storms common to this area last night - torrential rain, high winds and thunder and lightening. We heard the waves crashing onto the shore earlier in the evening, but didn't connect it to an imminent hurricane (OK, so maybe not a hurricane, but that's what it sounded like from the overcab bed at 2am this morning)!

So history repeated itself - 10 years ago we were up in the middle of the night, rain lashing down, lightening all around us, getting the canopy up and very gingerly unplugging the wet electric plug in the cockpit - last night we were up in the middle of the night, rain lashing down...... You get the picture..... Getting the awning down, and unplugging the electric for safety's sake (see @Taran_Las, I read your thread!)

We got back in the van happy in the knowledge that the awning was safe and we could go back to sleep, when the Disco on the other side of the road started up - Yes at 2am - the bass was so loud that me being the musician I am (;)) I couldn't help but try and work out what the bloody song was from the bass, no matter how hard I tried to ignore it! We must have dozed off because we were awoken at 4.30 by firecrackers going off and cars speeding off accompanied by much merriment a la Francaise, which I have to say Funsters is every bit as loud as a la Englaise!

The photos of the seashore today are a little different to the ones posted earlier in this thread!

image.jpg

image.jpg

I wish I had been in the Disco on the 7th August - mmmmmm lemon for me please..... But think I would have stayed at home to wash my hair on 21st ..... :Eeek:
image.jpg

Back to St Tropez tomorrow to hang out with the beautiful people....

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We left the best shower and loo block we had ever used and drove up through Lyon to our next stop at Langres.
image.jpg

We parked in one of Langres three aires, the elevator to the old town being the main attraction. We pressed the button to go up....we got to the stop half way up, pressed the button to continue but the lift took us down to the bottom again! We pressed the up button again, same thing happened so we pressed the button to open the door and the doors stayed shut but the lift then took us all the way to the top! "User error" strikes again, story of my life! So I've got multiple pictures of the view and the elevator, I'll spare you from seeing all 30 along with the music from Benny Hill.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Langres is another fortified hill town, and whilst it had a certain charm and some nice old buildings, the people all looked distinctly odd, sort of inbred and on Meth. There were loads of charity shops and after a wander around we decided to move the Moho to another aire as we felt a bit exposed on the first one.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

We went for a nice meal but when we returned to the van, realised it was very noisy with some boy racers both in the car park and revving off from the traffic lights behind the van, so we moved on again to the third aire, squeezing into the last spot. Feeling like goldilocks, this bed was just right!

Last edited:

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
you are doing great. thanks for your updates. they are keeping us ticking over. we have just come back from the train meet . what a good time we all had. now on Thursday of to lansergrotte. for 2 weeks.

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
From Langres we decided to go to Le Crotoy, often mentioned on fun and being about an hour from Calais seemed a good choice (although slightly out of our way). We couldn't believe the number of vans in this small town, we parked in the aire by the harbour (€6 for 24 hours).
They weather was ok but more autumnal than down south, useful preparation for going home.

image.jpg

image.jpg

We really liked it here, a busy harbour with lots of fresh fish stalls, an area we would like to return to and explore. We heard a steam train whistle in the distance and have noted the station for another time.

image.jpg

We treated ourselves to a seafood platter as our last French meal, oysters so fresh it was like gulping a mouthful of the sea, lobster, crab claws, prawns, shrimp, whelks, it was wonderful. Here's a copy of the bill...great value we thought.

image.jpg

We reminisced about our hols and decided it was one of our best yet, Cliff and Ger were great fun, easy to be with and we really enjoyed their company. We wouldn't of travelled so far south on our own or caught the train to Cannes, I hope I didn't slow them down too much with my wonky legs and I now have a greater appreciation of drinking rose wine at lunch time. Martin has hopefully overcome his awning phobias and under Cliffs instructions manages a successful erection every time...:rofl:

I'm glad some of you have enjoyed our blog, sadly slow or poor internet meant the most we could do was "like" your posts. someone has asked for costings and I will endeavour to include them as we go next time.

Our aires were all free unless stated, our campsites were ASCI so either €16 or €18 euros per night. Fuel was around 76p per litre. Because we were short of time we used tolls on our santeg tag, Ger paid for each one separately so knows better but I reckon it probably cost us £150. Wine in restaurants was around €8 euros per carafe and food is cheaper than home, better choice and better quality. Our best meals were those we cooked ourselves. Internet rates varied from free to €18 for a few days for one device but Martin used his Mifi Magic thing so all our devices connected., the sunshine was free and the laughs priceless.
:france:

Jul 29, 2014
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Thanks for the entertainment of your trip.(y)
Not only have I read of places for future visits but I have gained a useful medical knowledge.:)
Whilst I don't know the correct term for your "wonky" legs I did spot the cause in your last posting:

Martin has hopefully overcome his awning phobias and under Cliffs instructions manages a successful erection every time...

Had you mentioned this to your doctor I feel sure he would have understood.:whistle:

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Fantastic double act you two. You both write so well. (y)

Really pleased that you had a fabulous time. I'm sure it was just what the doctor ordered!

These trip threads do so much to make the forum what it is - keep 'em coming. I know how time consuming they can be, when you are supposed to be enjoying yourself & just chillin', so many thanks.

:):):)

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
you could not make this stuff up. it is people like you that keep all of us wanting to go over the water. thanks again

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We decided to move from Les Issambres on Monday and spend the last couple of days back at Les Mures, to spend some last sunshine hours on the beach and to have another foray into the Tuesday market at St Tropez. No doubt Mr Mousy would question our sanity (he confided to Cliff in the middle of a particularly jam packed aisle on our first foray that this was his idea of Hell!), but you see Funsters, I was on a mission.

On our first foray, After the boys had left us, and taking advantage of our new found fiscal freedom, I bought my beach towel beauties, and half a handbag and Dawn bought a beautiful Pashmina from a very nice man, who asked our advice as to what type of man his daughter should marry, (said daughter is nowcringing at the back of the stall). I said she should marry a man with loads of money, Dawn, being Dawn said 'No Monsieur, she should marry a man who loves her'.

Whilst I have no doubt he admired Dawn's sentiments, I know his daughter will marry a rich man if papa has any say in the matter. He was far more money minded than romantic, as there was no way he would be bartered down from the asking price for said Pashmina. I can't give the price here my friends as Mr Mousy may read this, but for 70% Cashmere and 30% silk, it was a bargain - I was just flexing my pitiful muscles at bargaining in French - @yodeli, Frankie can this be the next lesson please!

However, I digress. Now on her way home and with no more opportunities for shopping, Dawn asked if by chance I was to see the very nice Pashmina man again, could I get one each for her two girls.. No problem says I - what colour would they like? Her text came back - a dark red for Phoebe, and ochre caramel, or warm grey for Libby! Now those Funsters who have met me know that although I pride myself on being able to play a pretty good rendition of it on the uke, I am no Dedicated Follower of Fashion! I was in trouble. My colour scale ranges from light to dark blue, and if it don't fall into that category, it don't get no hanger in my wardrobe girlfriend!

I texted back sounding as confident in my personal shopper ability as I could, 'ermmm, would the 'dark red' be on the 'claret' or 'Postman Pat' spectrum of red, and would the ochre caramel be, ermmm an orangy brown...? Dawn came straight back with Claret, definitely Claret and 'more lemony than orange, like a caramel sweet'. Thank goodness she didn't mention the warm grey - is there such a colour girls?

So to the market - just as packed as Saturday, with just as many ladies with wrinkly necks and arms but with wrinkle free brows and pouts that any trout would be proud of- and I tracked down the very nice Pashmina Man. I have never seen so many shades of red and ochre caramel, let alone grey, cold or warm!

I have to say that Cliff picked both Pashminas, me by this time being a quivering wreck of indecision. I hope the girls are happy with them. They may not be quite the right shades, but never has the purchase of two scarves been so agonised over! I swear the very nice Pashmina man would have sold his daughter to Cliff just to get rid of us!
image.jpg

We cycled back to the campsite in glorious sunshine, stopping to take a photo in the exact same spot (we think) that we took photos 41 years ago! Will post them when we get home and you can decide for yourselves whether we have worn well or not!

Sat in the camp bar writing this, footie is on the tele, and entente cordiale is coming under strain. Two tellies, three matches. One little Englishman wanted to watch both Man U and Man City matches but the barman said (I think). Monsieur you are in France, Paris St Germaine are playing, so Man U and Man City have to share a screen - first half Man City, second half Man U. He was clearly a Man City fan as he walked out as the second half started....

Apologies for my Pashmina heavy post, but as a PS, we got to the beach just as the sun went in and I fear I have used my beach towel beauties for the last time in 2015!
image.jpg

Heading up tomorrow will try and post it I get t'internet.

Jul 29, 2014
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
I never in a million years thought I would be interested in reading about pashminas.:unsure:
But it was riveting and, of course, we will need to hear of the reaction of the recipients when the time comes.:)
Have to say I got the claret one but t'other didn't look like any caramel sweet I've ever munched nor did it look warm grey - or cold grey come to that.:whistle:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
@Mousy @cliffandger
I'll repeat what I've just posted on @Bacchus thread because it's also most pertinent to this thread also:

"Sometimes I wish there was a button to "like" the whole thread - or where one could give the thread a 5* rating

Love these blogs which are both informative & amusing.
"

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I never in a million years thought I would be interested in reading about pashminas.:unsure:
But it was riveting and, of course, we will need to hear of the reaction of the recipients when the time comes.:)
Have to say I got the claret one but t'other didn't look like any caramel sweet I've ever munched nor did it look warm grey - or cold grey come to that.:whistle:
I know and I'm afraid, SO AFRAID, but hoping the photo doesn't do it justice,and knowing Libby, She'll be able to carry it off with aplomb!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back