Katja

Free Member
Oct 6, 2018
Germany
Funster No
MH
Conversion: Fiat Ducato
Exp
In Germany it is not allowed to transport unsecured animals either, even though the fines are comparably low (only up to 75 EUR). However, in case of an accident you would be uninsured and further, in a privat law suit following such an accident, this might be viewed as grossy negligent. I would also be afraid of my cats getting hurt if I have to break abruptly or - heaven forbid - have an accident. My dog travels in the securest crate I could get and my cats, on the very few occasions I have to take them, are crated as well (and hate it).

Another question, though, if you stop, even if only for fuel or a short "bio break", how do you prevent the cats slipping past you outside? For me this is sometimes difficult with only 2 cats and at home, as they seem to come out of nowhere and are between your feet and past in a blink. Or are your cats used to be taken out in a harness and wait for it to be fixed so they don't try to get out on their own?

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Perhaps we could setup a cargo net behind the cab area or something like that to keep the cats out while driving. That addresses the concern with the cats interfering with the driver, but not the hard braking scenario.

We just bought a Hymer 534 with a U-lounge in the back. I believe it's rated for four passengers and two passengers can legally ride in the U-lounge if they sit on the side facing seats, even though there are no seat belts in the back at all. How does that work? I suppose they wouldn't go flying as much as if they were facing forward, but it seems about as (un)safe as a loose pet.
It’s not illegal for adults to ride in back in U.K. but not advised. Definitely not children, that is illegal.

OP
OP
Fulltiming Felines

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
Actually we did keep a cat carrier in the back and Paisley and Bailey like to snuggle up in there together when we're driving—it's very cute! But how to secure the carrier so that it doesn't fly off when braking?

That just leaves two cats that need to be secured.

Another question, though, if you stop, even if only for fuel or a short "bio break", how do you prevent the cats slipping past you outside? For me this is sometimes difficult with only 2 cats and at home, as they seem to come out of nowhere and are between your feet and past in a blink. Or are your cats used to be taken out in a harness and wait for it to be fixed so they don't try to get out on their own?
They've been pretty good about not sneaking past. But we usually have one person waiting inside and the other person knocks before opening the door and the one inside will make sure all the cats are a safe distance from the door before giving the "all clear".

@Fulltiming Felines how did you get on with the fulltiming insurance?
We're getting insured in Germany. They don't seem to make a distinction between full-timing. I'll make a post about it once it's all done and dusted.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Four of these ... job done.

cn316dolyl3z.gif

Funny but very distracting...

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
@Fulltiming Felines
Of course you're free to do what you want with regards carrying unrestrained felines or un-seat-belted passengers... but don't be surprised when posting on an open forum when folk give their best advice, their interpretation of the legal & insurance ramifications, or the benefit of their experience.
Can you travel with four unrestrained felines? Yes.
Is it legal, safe and would insurance pay out - probably not.
Can you have passengers on seats where no seatbelts are fitted? Yes
But is it sensible, probably not.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Forgetting the Motorhome I can not imagine any one having four cats.
My mams next door neighbor had around six at one time and they all used her garden for a toilet needless to say drastic action was taken!

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
All scary stuff, especially when the harnesses fail.

So a cat isn't the same weight as a dog, but still a potential missil.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Strong evidence here from various aspects including the legal aspect of having a pet in a vehicle whilst travelling.
Common sense should prevail, why would you put at risk your pet, yourselves and other road users by having someone whether it be adult, child or pet by having them roam about in the vehicle?
We have often seen car DRIVERS with a dog laying on their lap, quite unbelievable.
If your aim is to not restrain them keep them outside for long periods as nature intended not travelling in box on wheels.

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
I have two dogs and a cat that travel with us. The cat is alway in a crate during travelling, he isn’t overly fussed on the travelling bit and I’m sure he would be stupid if let loose getting into nooks and crannies. Once on location he is brill, very chilled and is harnessed for outside forays. He has in the odd occasion managed to get free and as we’re out looking for him has managed to sneak back into the van. However I’m unsure whether if loose outside he wouldn’t bugger off and we lose him. I have seen whilst away, a cat roaming around site and found it belonged to a nearby caravan. They even went out with the cat out and about, so it can be done, how I’m unsure, I know I’m too worried that he would go and never come back.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
@Caggsi1, are the dogs retrained whilst travelling for their own and others safety?

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
I find it difficult to believe anyone would allow an animal , cat or dog to have access to wander aimlessly around a motorhome when transit .It is an accident waiting to happen .You do not have to be the one to cause an accident.A few years ago now i pulled into the airs in Calais (now defunct )to see a guy sat on the steps of his van very upset i walked over to ask if he was ok .Apparently he pulled up at the crossing just up the road as he braked normally his dog slipped off the seat next to him and could not move .I told him to leave the dog where he was and we drove him to the vet just up the road .Sadly it had broken its back and could not be save .The grief this guy was suffering was quite upsetting and left me with a memory i wish i could forget .Every animal should be caged even for the shortest of journeys and anything less for me is total negligence which risks life and limb to all involved ,it is never a problem until it happens ,Then sadly its too late.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
I dont tether my dog when travelling although it is illegal she lays down and goes to sleep in the back - even using restraints they can get hurt or injured - she always has water available in a bowl as well - and like people some wear seatbelts happily and some dont some pets dont travel very well tied down
Yes they possibly could get hurt or injured but you could die having a missile coming from behind @ 50mph!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back