Found a realy great beach in Norfolk on Sunday (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Driving down from the Norfolk showground on Sunday we called in at Great Yarmouth then Gorleston-on-Sea it is just the other side of the river Yare from GY. What a fantastic beach, it appeared to be mainly the locals who were using it, we had a local type breakfast in a fish shop come greasy spoon right on the beach front. Nice, filled the hole then sat on the beach in the sun for an hour. Great Beach....:cool:

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
If you were in the right places, parking would have been free (y) .

Alternatively, if you went up on to the cliff top, you could have had lovely views out to sea (there aren't many places in Norfolk where this is possible) and the parking would still be free (y)(y)

Gordon

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
If you were in the right places, parking would have been free (y) .

Alternatively, if you went up on to the cliff top, you could have had lovely views out to sea (there aren't many places in Norfolk where this is possible) and the parking would still be free (y)(y)
Gordon
Thanks Gordon, yes I was really impressed with the free parking, We had breakfast on the lower level then went up for the lovely view. I cant believe on my many visits to GY that I haven't come across this beach before....Shoooosh keep it quiet we don't want all those scruffy motorhomers visiting.
As a matter of interest, to the left of this beach in the distance there are some huge uprights in a bunch, I guessed that they are the bases for wind farms. Any ideas....(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
thats spoilt that nice place then . soon be packed out and m,homes parked up all over with chairs tables ,moroccan mats out , can see it now .

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
What places are those?
Perhaps the choice of wording could have been better but everywhere that has a height barrier or restrictive signage like no parking for vehicles with cooking facilities or similar that mean car only parking allowed. Studland Bay in Dorset, Swanage. Most areas between Felixstowe and Southwold in East Angela, many parts in Devon and Cornwal, in fact our coastal areas are now littered with every type of restrictions, all in place for one reason only.

I used to enjoy spending the day in my van parked in many really nice areas having a picnic a swim build a few sand castles then moving on for a night stop away from the spectacular scenery and beach access. Problem is that many in motorhomes prefer not to move on but stay put and set up camp for the duration of their stay leaving no space for other holiday makers.
This is just scratching the surface of the abuse. France Spain Italia have similar abuse problems.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
You may jest vwalen, I have seen so many lovely coastal places absolutely destroyed with motorhomers abuse.
i wasnt jesting . dont worry i,ve seen loads as well.
it is a shame it happens .
i do wonder what or if there is anything inside some of their heads .
its a big world but getting smaller every year as m,homes travel further afield.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Driving down from the Norfolk showground on Sunday we called in at Great Yarmouth then Gorleston-on-Sea it is just the other side of the river Yare from GY. What a fantastic beach, it appeared to be mainly the locals who were using it, we had a local type breakfast in a fish shop come greasy spoon right on the beach front. Nice, filled the hole then sat on the beach in the sun for an hour. Great Beach....:cool:

We have signed our contracts and hope to move in shortly to a three storey house on Marine Parade Gorleston directly overlooking the beach and sea front. Will let you know when settled and you can call in for a cuppa.(y)

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
You may jest vwalen, I have seen so many lovely coastal places absolutely destroyed with motorhomers abuse.

We happily paid our £15 and overnighted at West Beach on Hayling Island last night.

I was woken up at 6:00am this morning by a guy in a transit conversion with a noisy sliding door who decided he couldnt be arsed to walk to the public toilets and would just step out of his van stand and pee against the picnic tables and a bit later on the Hymer next to us emptied his grey tank onto the floor before driving off.
On top of that, there were a number of motorhomes that arrived after 9:00pm and were on their way before 7:00am this morning so I can only guess they were trying to avoid the parking attendant and having to pay the £15 parking fee.

If that behaviour is what is referred to as 'wild camping' then you can keep it...

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
We have signed our contracts and hope to move in shortly to a three storey house on Marine Parade Gorleston directly overlooking the beach and sea front. Will let you know when settled and you can call in for a cuppa.(y)
Thanks Larry, you know I knew that I had seen the name of the town recently. (y)
Marine Parade looks very nice Larry as does the rest of the town, I see you have a slope that goes under a small tunnel from MP down onto the beach. Better not say any more, if you know what I mean Larry...;)

Dergrowler

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 7, 2013
Banbury, Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class, Hymer B578
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for the info @buttons .

We have recently moved up here to Cromer and are still finding our way around.

Will pay Gorleston-on-Sea a visit (will leave motorhome back in Cromer:cry::cry:)

Loving Cromer and North Norflok by the way

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Thanks for the info @buttons .

We have recently moved up here to Cromer and are still finding our way around.

Will pay Gorleston-on-Sea a visit (will leave motorhome back in Cromer:cry::cry:)

Loving Cromer and North Norflok by the way
Great area you live Dergrowler, we have been visiting for years in the van. The kids spent more time catching crabs and getting covered in mud at Blakeney than anywhere else.:) We stayed in The Blakeney Hotel again last year for a week had a real nice time. The boat from Blakeney out to see the seals is good if you haven't already done it.

We purchased our first horse from a farm at Cley next to sea. My daughter fell in love with it so we took her home with us. The horse had great feet having grown up on the salt marshes.;):) Great part of the country...(y)

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We purchased our first horse from a farm at Cley next to sea. My daughter fell in love with it so we took her home with us. The horse had great feet having grown up on the salt marshes.;):) Great part of the country...(y)

How d'you get a horse in that van of yours?

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Norfolk is home , a lovely coastline and down into Suffolk with Southwold, Thorpeness Aldeborough and then Essex with Mersea Island and I love Maldon . All day trips for us .

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Norfolk is home , a lovely coastline and down into Suffolk with Southwold, Thorpeness Aldeborough and then Essex with Mersea Island and I love Maldon . All day trips for us .
I'm surprised we have not bumped into each other before Larry, these are all my favorites too, don't forget fish and chips at Dunwich.(y) My brother has a old wooden sailing boat in Woodbridge, the rivers that meet the sea along this coast are fantastic too.

Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
Gorleston beach is a lovely clean beach and we walk there frequently. I used to take my boys there when they were young to sail their homemade boats on the yacht pond, which miracles of miracles has water in it this year (y) I think at some point they were going to fill it in. :( There is a cliff top festival there every year, which I think is in a few days time.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I'm surprised we have not bumped into each other before Larry, these are all my favorites too, don't forget fish and chips at Dunwich.(y) My brother has a old wooden sailing boat in Woodbridge, the rivers that meet the sea along this coast are fantastic too.

Love these little fishing villages, another favourite is Wells next the sea, and some cockles mussels etc .

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Love these little fishing villages, another favourite is Wells next the sea, and some cockles mussels etc .

I like Wells. It was bloody freezing when I was there last May though:(

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Gorleston beach is a lovely clean beach and we walk there frequently. I used to take my boys there when they were young to sail their homemade boats on the yacht pond, which miracles of miracles has water in it this year (y) I think at some point they were going to fill it in. :( There is a cliff top festival there every year, which I think is in a few days time.

Yes and we will just miss the festival this year.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back