Forward travel planning (1 Viewer)

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
Ok so everything on hold self isolating, however this has not stopped me dreaming about the future and where I would like to visit. At the moment my thoughts are to stay in the UK and therefore to try and support the economy here.
So with that in mind, planning. Here is my question, how do members go about planing trips? Is it choose an area on a map (using Ordanance Survey maps?) and choose motor home sites recommended in various/ online directories? Or other processes, or indeed no planning just get up and go?

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Ok so everything on hold self isolating, however this has not stopped me dreaming about the future and where I would like to visit. At the moment my thoughts are to stay in the UK and therefore to try and support the economy here.
So with that in mind, planning. Here is my question, how do members go about planing trips? Is it choose an area on a map (using Ordanance Survey maps?) and choose motor home sites recommended in various/ online directories? Or other processes, or indeed no planning just get up and go?
I usually find it’s best to start with a place or event I would like to see or attend. Then a rough route which is amended as we go.
For example, one year we decided to go to the Kiel Sailing Festival in Northern Germany, Then we took 4/5weeks, 3 weeks to get there taking a wide circle via Berlin and the whole of the Baltic coast, travelling as much or staying put, as much as we fancied. A week in Kiel (had to be pre booked) then more or less direct home.
We often plan a trip around a classic motor race event such as classic le mans or classic Monza.
I would start by deciding on a general area you would like to visit.

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
This can be very individual, my parents, well my Dad enjoyed the planning as much as the trip especially the really long ones. Me totally different I like to just GO.
A few short weeks ago I posted that decision was made and I was heading to the outer Hebrides, nothing booked except a look at Britstops for over nights on the way up. Needless to say that not happening now. All the planned weekends have now been cancelled or postponed or in limbo. I had paid full balance on all events including entrance tickets as yet only one has made refunds available.
Dosappointed that my first summer is a wash out but is is as it has to be.
I am planning not detailed, but as soon as we are given the gree light it will be off the drive down the road toss a coin left of right or if there is a Funsters meet I may be ready to have some human contact...…...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
I find that 'touring' in the UK generally requires to much planning, (unless in Scotland), most places have to be booked in advance, so rules out adhoc travel.

Across the channel it's a different world entirely, plenty of aires, stellplatz etc, so you can change your mind on a daily basis.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I find that 'touring' in the UK generally requires to much planning, (unless in Scotland), most places have to be booked in advance, so rules out adhoc travel.

Across the channel it's a different world entirely, plenty of aires, stellplatz etc, so you can change your mind on a daily basis.
In UK, I always ring in advance but that could be lunchtime for that evening at a CL and always worth checking club sites for cancellations.

Upvote 0

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Hi Roger, did you ever choose which motorhome you was comfortable with? If so I missed that info!
After you have conquered the UK and are still fit enough to go further afield and as you was opting to buy a 3500kg Moho you could head south east into the continent, Germany, Austria and Slovenia all very very nice places to visit and the latter two cheap as chips as you will only need a vignette which are very simple to obtain (Tolltickets?) I can’t help you much with UK I’m afraid, the continent is by far a nicer place to drive, Safe travels where ever you choose to go?

Upvote 0

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
We used to plan when we travelled by motorcycle in Europe. All the hotels were pre booked and the route stuck to with an objective at the end I.e. travelling from Calais to Gibraltar in order to have a Sunday roast (not in one day).
Now we used our motorhome for our trips away, mainly main Europe. The destination is more vague. We have several destinations in mind and when we arrive in Calais we look at the weather and decide to turn left, turn right or just head south, my preferred option. We use aires and only stay on campsites if we intend to stay there for a couple days or longer.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rogerlathbury

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
Hi Roger, did you ever choose which motorhome you was comfortable with? If so I missed that info!
After you have conquered the UK and are still fit enough to go further afield and as you was opting to buy a 3500kg Moho you could head south east into the continent, Germany, Austria and Slovenia all very very nice places to visit and the latter two cheap as chips as you will only need a vignette which are very simple to obtain (Tolltickets?) I can’t help you much with UK I’m afraid, the continent is by far a nicer place to drive, Safe travels where ever you choose to go?
We have pretty much decided on a Pilote A class. So now awaiting the lockdown to finish and hopefully we be ready to finalise choice and go (somewhere?) !

Upvote 0

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
We have pretty much decided on a Pilote A class. So now awaiting the lockdown to finish and hopefully we be ready to finalise choice and go (somewhere?) !
I’ve just changed from my first Moho Elddis Encore 255 to an Adria A class and loving it, definitely prefer the A class?

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

I do not agree. I toured UK for 2 years and have visited since. Just wildcamping on verges, village parking, even small railway CPs(with permission). Never planned. Even in small municipal CP at back of library, I checked with traffic wardens - 'No problem' if you start paying from 0800 in morning.

Yes France and Continent is easier, but UK is doable without planning.

Geoff

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rogerlathbury

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
I’ve just changed from my first Moho Elddis Encore 255 to an Adria A class and loving it, definitely prefer the A class?
Just seems so much more room even though spec dimensions are only marginally bigger (cab width). Makes the lounge / dinette feel so much more open and great view through the windscreen.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Rogerlathbury

Rogerlathbury

Free Member
Oct 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
I do not agree. I toured UK for 2 years and have visited since. Just wildcamping on verges, village parking, even small railway CPs(with permission). Never planned. Even in small municipal CP at back of library, I checked with traffic wardens - 'No problem' if you start paying from 0800 in morning.

Yes France and Continent is easier, but UK is doable without planning.

Geoff
Thanks Geoff, you've just restored my faith in UK touring. I for one want to stay here in the UK once the isolation is over to try and support UK businesses.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back