Forum software update..... Why? (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The similar threads thing is just a dumb computer looking at word patterns. Sometimes it will be good, others awful. However Similar threads have been clicked on over 17000 times since Wednesday, so it keeps people reading which makes me less inclined to remove it.
... translated it means ... "it keeps funsters occupied as they've got something else to whinge about ...so I can do other stuff"! :rofl:

Deleted User
Don't see any problem with them. It is not mandatory to look at similar threads, if you see something of interest then you can open it, otherwise just ignore them.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The similar threads thing is just a dumb computer looking at word patterns. Sometimes it will be good, others awful. However Similar threads have been clicked on over 17000 times since Wednesday, so it keeps people reading which makes me less inclined to remove it.
I can see the logic behind it, I don't bother looking at them but what I'm finding frustrating is the number of threads you open on the "What's New" page where people have responded to really old threads. It just clutters up what is already a very busy forum.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I can see the logic behind it, I don't bother looking at them but what I'm finding frustrating is the number of threads you open on the "What's New" page where people have responded to really old threads. It just clutters up what is already a very busy forum.

I know a lot of forums lock threads after a period of time. But necroposting can be fun, old threads have just as much right to the light as the new ones :D.

I don't think any of us are so busy that the second or two to decide if a post is not interesting ruins our day.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I know a lot of forums lock threads after a period of time. But necroposting can be fun, old threads have just as much right to the light as the new ones :D.

I don't think any of us are so busy that the second or two to decide if a post is not interesting ruins our day.
I don't mind people responding to old threads when they have searched and are adding useful content but people are clicking on these links unaware they are very old threads.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I don't mind people responding to old threads when they have searched and are adding useful content but people are clicking on these links unaware they are very old threads.

Ah OK I see what you mean, I can tweak the algorithm so it fights between age and relevancy but the latter should always win. Let me see if I can limit it (y)

Aug 11, 2016
ipswich
Funster No
MH
Not sure
Exp
1 year
I never found anything wrong with the old forum so couldn't see any reason to change it.
I now cant find anything wrong with the new forum so there is no reason why it shouldn't have been changed.
Guess I'm just the sort of person who gets on with it rather than keep whingeing.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I alays used to
I agree. The problem is that a new poster just looks at the OP, and then answers it without checking if it has already been answered, or has become irrelevant.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I never found anything wrong with the old forum so couldn't see any reason to change it.
I now cant find anything wrong with the new forum so there is no reason why it shouldn't have been changed.
Guess I'm just the sort of person who gets on with it rather than keep whingeing.
I think it was more to do with changing to bigger servers to accommodate all the whingers' posts 😂

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
I just wish the titles of posts was informative. I hate the 'You will never guess what happened to me', 'Oh no, its happened again', type of post. Click bait of the worse kind, probably the same folk who post these things on FB, desperately needy.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I just wish the titles of posts was informative. I hate the 'You will never guess what happened to me', 'Oh no, its happened again', type of post. Click bait of the worse kind, probably the same folk who post these things on FB, desperately needy.
They’re exactly the posts that make me like the new choice of ignore without opening the post. The new ignore choice is a great addition to the forum

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
The ambulance thread got bumped and then got a useful update from the OP on the 2020 status. The thread was interesting.
IMO let it settle down (with an algorithm tweak if you look) but 1st pls look at the read/unread indications for the alerts 🙏
It’s working how we’d like it on smartphones & tablets but not on a desktop/laptop full browser.

And 1000 thanks for fixing my iPad’s editor’s quote icon 👍🏻😎

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
The ambulance thread got bumped and then got a useful update from the OP on the 2020 status. The thread was interesting.
IMO let it settle down (with an algorithm tweak if you look) but 1st pls look at the read/unread indications for the alerts 🙏
It’s working how we’d like it on smartphones & tablets but not on a desktop/laptop full browser.

I don't get it. How much trouble is it to hover over an alert?

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I don't get it. How much trouble is it to hover over an alert?
I “didn’t get” the fuss that the red square counter caused when it appeared.
Could people’s likes & dislikes different? 🤪

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I “didn’t get” the fuss that the red square counter caused when it appeared.
Could people’s likes & dislikes different? 🤪
You're right. Jim should not sleep tonight until the solid blue blobs show up automatically on every device.

Ain't got no time for this hovering cursor stuff.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
You're right. Jim should not sleep tonight until the solid blue blobs show up automatically on every device.

Ain't got no time for this hovering cursor stuff.
Thanks for coming round to our way of seeing it.
How are the other site changes going for you?

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Thanks for coming round to our way of seeing it.
How are the other site changes going for you?
It was excellent before and it's similarly excellent now. I'm an easy going kinda lad.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

I just hope Jim's not planning on doing what Virgin bank have ... they are turning OFF their laptop/pc internet access so you will only be able to look at your accounts via the mobile app ... if that happens with fun I'm outa here even though I'm a life member :confused: ... hmmm ... maybe I shouldn't give Jim ideas! :oops:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back