Forthcoming Costly damage? = 'Silly Boy' ! (1 Viewer)

davidallan

Free Member
Oct 22, 2007
Leeds
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
26 yrs CVing + 14< MH' ing
Yep ., Ive gone and it:Blush::Blush: Put £1.60p worth of PETROL into my Diesel Toad' yesterday...

Maybe its just part of the Ageing process :cry: :Eeek::Eeek:

As soon as I realised.....Stopped and proceeded to put in some £35 worth of DIESEL which it should have had. !!!

Q1 Have I done the right thing ? [Or should I have had it towed in and emptied?]

Q2 Car running ok back to base..BUT Am I risking ruining the CAT or any other bits of the Engine?

Waiting for any Prof' Techy, Mechanicy HELP out there....BEFORE using it again:thumb:

Thanks for all help...David,Liz 'n 'Tilly' dog [A 2 yr old rescue ickle thingy Terrier...., recently renamed 'Achmed the Terrorist, !! ]

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Yep ., Ive gone and it:Blush::Blush: Put £1.60p worth of PETROL into my Diesel Toad' yesterday...

Maybe its just part of the Ageing process :cry: :Eeek::Eeek:

As soon as I realised.....Stopped and proceeded to put in some £35 worth of DIESEL which it should have had. !!!

Q1 Have I done the right thing ? [Or should I have had it towed in and emptied?]

Q2 Car running ok back to base..BUT Am I risking ruining the CAT or any other bits of the Engine?

Waiting for any Prof' Techy, Mechanicy HELP out there....BEFORE using it again:thumb:

Thanks for all help...David,Liz 'n 'Tilly' dog [A 2 yr old rescue ickle thingy Terrier...., recently renamed 'Achmed the Terrorist, !! ]
£1.60 not worth worrying about. Just drive a few miles and top up again "with diesel". I did the same but I put put £40 before I noticed it. Cost me an arm and leg to get to the garage and pumped out with new filter etc. They even charged for disposal of the tanks contents.

Apr 1, 2012
Sarratt, Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt 2 berth
Exp
Since 2012
As far as I am aware you should be okay. It's a tiny amount of petrol and should not cause damage. Just keep topping up with diesel to dilute the petrol. Diesel engines are pretty forgiving with small amounts of petrol. Don't do what I did and put £60 of petrol into a new diesel company car!! Luckily I didn't start the engine and had the fuel flushed out by RAC Fuel Assist.

I can guarantee that it is a mistake that you only make once. I'm paranoid every time I fill up now and even check the rubber supply pipes into the head of the forecourt pumps. This was recommended by the RAC guy as he has had numerous callouts due to the pumps holsters being crossed on the front of the pump' Ie diesel pump placed in petrol dispenser and vice versa.

Cardeau

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i would say dont worry about it after all 1.2 litres in 30 isn't really going to cause an issue in fact it may help if it doesn't get used too much you may notice it being slightly noisier under acceleration but thats just the petrol burning off.

we once put £15.00 of 4 star in a diesel transit then topped up with £40 of diesel it ran ok but was a bit sluggish and didn't start quite as good but by the end of 2 tanks it was back to being its normal self, the week later we had the same hire van and it went like the clappers.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
It should be no problem :thumb:I even topped my tank up with half a gallon of petrol on purpose last yr on the say so of a couple of funsters (vw alan was one :winky:)who said it clears the injectors-Must admit to few anxious moments but it simply started smoking (white)for about half a mile then cleared and went better than ever :winky:::bigsmile:
terry

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I did that with a company (hire) car, eek. (Petrol in a diesel)

AFAIK Pete's only done it the once too, a couple of litres of diesel before he realised - in the Blackbird! Filled up to the brim with highest octane unleaded they had. On the mway in France .... We both had instant doubts, thought the proportion might be too great, but anyway it did start and we have to get off this motorway if we can - so we'll just give it a go ....... Don't think it even smoked. Kept topping it up, topping it up. Fine.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Just a reminder not to get too complaisant. Running a diesel on petrol will wreck not only you engine also your pump and injectors. All extremely expensive items. So best to keep to the correct fuel. :Eeek:

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
It used to be 'the done thing' to add a small amount of petrol to diesel during very cold winters to prevent waxing.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I made the same mistake with our previous car (Citroen Berlingo) about 15 months ago. I put £10 worth of petrol in. After asking advice from the garage I filled completely with diesel and had no problems.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
It shouldn't harm your engine, such a small amount.

Craig

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back