Free Member
Aug 31, 2013
cheshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
12 years
Hello we went up to the top of Scotland (high lands )mainly ,on the way back we called at FORT WILLAM and went to car park which was for H.G.V. lorry and MOTORHOME ONLY and the H.G.V. were at back of car park and MOTORHOME was at the front and clean painted floor marking, but on the signs said no over night sleeping .WHY ??:cry:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
just stay awake but feel more comfy in your jamas

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We stopped at Leeming Bar off the A1 on the way back home. We went into a car park which was for lorries, caravans and everything else other than cars. (Only stopped for a bit of lunch)

The sign said "£15 for overnight parking", but can't remember whether this was for lorries as well as caravans/motorhomes. Seems a bit steep for an overnight stop in a grotty car park:Sad:

Bill

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We stopped at Leeming Bar off the A1 on the way back home. We went into a car park which was for lorries, caravans and everything else other than cars. (Only stopped for a bit of lunch)

The sign said "£15 for overnight parking", but can't remember whether this was for lorries as well as caravans/motorhomes. Seems a bit steep for an overnight stop in a grotty car park:Sad:

Bill

I would guess that's a truckstop/services.

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
At the Highland Centre roundabout go down Belford Road, as if your going towards campsite, there a Forestry Commission carpark, just before campsite, cant use the actual carpark as there a hate barrier but park off the road with some fantastic walks up the forestry walk with views of Ben Nevis.:thumb:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I would guess that's a truckstop/services.

Hi Graham, just had a look at your parking website for a place to park the van for a couple of hours in Stranraer, which is less than an hour from us. I can see that it says "awaiting answer to a query" about mh parking. I just wondered how long ago you had asked the council this question?
Your web page is very informative and you've obviously spent a long time on this:thumb:
I have a hospital appointment next week, but we might just book into Aird Donald caravan site for peace of mind. Failing that, we might try Morrisons large car park and do a food shop at the same time, then we can get back home the same day.

Margaret:Smile:

DGT

Free Member
Jan 9, 2010
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Exp
8 mths
Hi we too were in fort William in August and parked in the same car park i asked the car park attendent about overnight parking and her reply was that she finished work at 1800hrs and started at 0800hrs in the morning so be up and curtains open befor 0800am and nobody would know you slept there

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
At the Highland Centre roundabout go down Belford Road, as if your going towards campsite, there a Forestry Commission carpark, just before campsite, cant use the actual carpark as there a hate barrier but park off the road with some fantastic walks up the forestry walk with views of Ben Nevis.:thumb:

Although not in the Highlands, we were going to suggest another possible wild-camping spot would be Loch Doon near the Galloway Forest, (Ayrshire/Dumfries & Galloway borders). However, have just been reading all the comments about what's been happening over the years at this beautiful spot.:Sad: So perhaps have a look at the "wild camping" forum website before deciding what you think.
Like everything else, it's the mindless idiots that spoil things for those who are responsible...........such a shame:Angry:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi Graham, just had a look at your parking website for a place to park the van for a couple of hours in Stranraer, which is less than an hour from us. I can see that it says "awaiting answer to a query" about mh parking. I just wondered how long ago you had asked the council this question?
Your web page is very informative and you've obviously spent a long time on this:thumb:
I have a hospital appointment next week, but we might just book into Aird Donald caravan site for peace of mind. Failing that, we might try Morrisons large car park and do a food shop at the same time, then we can get back home the same day.

Margaret:Smile:

Thanks Margaret. It's just coming up to two weeks since I e-mailed D&G council so should expect an answer within another couple of weeks.

If you need to use your van to get to the hospital have a word with the PALS (Patient Advice & Liaison Service) there and they might be able to make arrangements for you to park the van in the hospital grounds. We did that at our local hospital a few years ago when our car was off the road and they were very helpful.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Scared of gypsies or a caravan site owner is on the local council.

It's very common.

There have been nuisance problems in different parts of the Highland Council area for some years, which is why "No Overnight Parking Signs" were erected in several places. See This Thread for instance.

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
If you need to use your van to get to the hospital have a word with the PALS (Patient Advice & Liaison Service) there and they might be able to make arrangements for you to park the van in the hospital grounds. We did that at our local hospital a few years ago when our car was off the road and they were very helpful.[/QUOTE]

Gel, had to go to Papworth Hospital a few weeks back, so to save going back and forth each day, over 200 miles round trip, we tuck ourselves into a corner in a carpark and stayed there, we spoke to the nursing staff and they spoke to the administration people for us, told us to stay there as long as we like.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I live in Stranraer so I advise you not to try Morrison's car park, it's too tight. At the old harbour there is parking on the breastworks, no height barrier and no charge, suitable for HGV's, coaches and motorhomes.

Why not park at the hospital, the car park is rarely full and you can probably squeeze in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pegleg

pegleg

Free Member
Aug 31, 2013
cheshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
12 years
:Smile: hello me again lol when we were at Fort William motorhome parking there was a couple from ITALY in there motorhome talking to him about the parking there he told me when they came over to England he had stayed in Aldi car park after shopping there, in the morning he had parking ticket on his wind screen he was surprised as its ok in Europe to park in there car park :thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
:Smile: hello me again lol when we were at Fort William motorhome parking there was a couple from ITALY in there motorhome talking to him about the parking there he told me when they came over to England he had stayed in Aldi car park after shopping there, in the morning he had parking ticket on his wind screen he was surprised as its ok in Europe to park in there car park :thumb:

Aldi introduced controls (which are well sign posted) here because of abuse by non-customers parking for extended periods. Presumably the same abuse does not happen in Italy.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I live in Stranraer so I advise you not to try Morrison's car park, it's too tight. At the old harbour there is parking on the breastworks, no height barrier and no charge, suitable for HGV's, coaches and motorhomes.

Why not park at the hospital, the car park is rarely full and you can probably squeeze in.

Hi, many thanks for this. My appointment is at the Galloway Community Hospital (Dalrymple Street) and the letter said that parking is "restricted". So will have a look at the harbour and check walking times etc. It's a few years since we've been to Stranraer and we had the car back then.
Will phone the hospital tomorrow and ask them about parking the van, now that we're over 26 feet and see what they say.
Many thanks, Margaret:Smile:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Thanks Margaret. It's just coming up to two weeks since I e-mailed D&G council so should expect an answer within another couple of weeks.

If you need to use your van to get to the hospital have a word with the PALS (Patient Advice & Liaison Service) there and they might be able to make arrangements for you to park the van in the hospital grounds. We did that at our local hospital a few years ago when our car was off the road and they were very helpful.

Hi Graham,
Thanks for this information, will phone them tomorrow and check as it's not the main hospital just the "community" one.
Parking at the main Dumfries hospital is difficult and we wouldn't even trying taking the van in there, so don't know what the smaller Stranraer one will be like for parking. Dumfries would have been easier for me:Sad:
Will let you know how I get on:Smile:

Margaret

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi Graham,
Thanks for this information, will phone them tomorrow and check as it's not the main hospital just the "community" one.
Parking at the main Dumfries hospital is difficult and we wouldn't even trying taking the van in there, so don't know what the smaller Stranraer one will be like for parking. Dumfries would have been easier for me:Sad:
Will let you know how I get on:Smile:

Margaret
Yes, I seem to remember Dumfries was pretty easy (in a car anyway) when my Aunt was in there many years ago.

When we wanted to use the MH for our appointment in Middlesbrough they arranged for us to park on a clear area away from the car parks as the barriers were too narrow to allow the van into the car parks - and they didn't charge us :Smile: I also noticed at Stepping Hill hospital in Stockport (when another Aunt was in there) that a motorhome had been allowed to park (seemingly for several days) in an area where parking wasn't normally allowed. Hopefully they will be able to make a similar arrangement for you in Stranraer - looking at it on Google Maps they appear to have one or two suitable spaces.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
The Lidl is only a short distance away from the Hospital, 3-4 minutes walk tops, why don't you park there. (didn't realise you were a 26 footer).

Rgds
Bill

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
The Lidl is only a short distance away from the Hospital, 3-4 minutes walk tops, why don't you park there. (didn't realise you were a 26 footer).

Rgds
Bill

Bill, many thanks for this information, this sounds ideal. I suppose it's just your luck when you arrive there and see what spaces are available before 2 pm.
Regards, Margaret

M

Madwife

Deleted User
Hi Bill and Margaret

The car park at Lidl is big and plenty of space. It is almost directly across the roundabout from the hospital and if you can't get parked up at the hospital it's only a short walk. I am sure that we also saw some places near there that you could park up on the street.

Aird Donald is a great site and we had our second stay there this year last week. It's very peaceful and if you are up for walking to the hospital from there it's about 15 mins.

Hope all goes well at the hospital for you.

Kind regards

Kath

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
No restrictions in our Lidl, there's a driver parks his car transporter in there at weekends!

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Many thanks to everyone who has offered help and advice with parking at Stranraer.......Lidl gets the vote:thumb:
Having seen the weather forecast for Wednesday perhaps a dinghy might be a more suitable method of transport:Sad:

Regards, Margaret

Last edited:

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999

Because FC are extracting timber from the hillside, there is a "No Overnight Parking" sign there now.:cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back