FORMICA (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Hi folks need some advice on Formica as I want to redo the tables in the van there a bit tiered now and damaged.
I would like to re do the work tops as well any one have any experience with Formica how to cut it and fit it to make a nice job.
bill

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Bill,

I was a shop fitter and joiner for 20 odd year in my distant past and laminated many a worktop and unit but putting into word how to do it and method is harder than actually doing it.
I think your best bet is to have a look through the videos on YouTube as I find it a lot easier to understand how to do something by seeing it done rather than reading on how to do it.
If you then need any pointer then I'm more than happy to help. I still seem to have my hand in as I re-laminated the table and worktop in our van earlier this year.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
To do it by hand -
Mark out the face of the Formica in pencil to the finished sizes.
Add a mm or two to these sizes. This allows for any minor chipping of the cut edge.
With a steel straight edge and Stanley knife score the face along the "increased" size marks.
Using a fine bladed saw cut along the scored marks (only cut on the downward stroke). Note, a powered jigsaw cuts on the upward stroke!
Once the cuts are completed finish off the cut edges to the correct size with a hand plane (sharpen before and after the job!).
Stick to the table tops using contact adhesive (Evo Stik or similar).
Once completely dry finish off edges with fine sandpaper to remove any minor irregularities.
Be aware, you'll always see the brown \ black edge of the Formica unless you fit a fore-edge over this.

Given the time and effort involved you may want to think about replacing the table tops \ worktops with pre-finished timber \ particle board?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Bill,

I was a shop fitter and joiner for 20 odd year in my distant past and laminated many a worktop and unit but putting into word how to do it and method is harder than actually doing it.
I think your best bet is to have a look through the videos on YouTube as I find it a lot easier to understand how to do something by seeing it done rather than reading on how to do it.
If you then need any pointer then I'm more than happy to help. I still seem to have my hand in as I re-laminated the table and worktop in our van earlier this year.

We share the same work life, I'm still working as a carpenter but spent many years in a workshop (including my own) making shop fitting joinery and furniture, don't know how you found it but there was never enough time in the day, it's a hectic way to make a living.

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
Just make sure that the Formica is lined up properly before you put the surfaces together. I believe the videos show putting thin battens between the surfaces and removing them one at a time. This gives you the opportunity to get things aligned.

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
It depends on what tools you have Bill, I would cut the laminate oversize so you were confident enough to stick it down without having to line too much up, as once the glue touches it's game over without solvents etc to take it off again, you can buy downcutting jigsaw blades if you have one of those or a fine metal blade would be good enough to rough cut it to size. I then use a small handheld router with a bearing flush cutter in it, so after it's stuck down with contact adhesive (spread adhesive on both surfaces by the way) I would then go around with the small router and this cutter, the bearing runs around the edge of the table and the cutter part trims it off flush with the surface that the bearing is running against, sounds technical but it really isn't, then just file or sand the sharp edge off the laminate so you won't cut your hands on it when you're wiping it off.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
As I recall Stanley knives are hard to use to get a straight cut as the blades can bend. There was a v shaped scourer ,a bit like a glass cutter was the best to use.and as said cut 2to 3 mm oversize and trim back with a smooth file.have you tried the stick on gallon available from the likes of b and q. It's easier to apply and looks the part although not as hard wearing as formica

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I then use a small handheld router with a bearing flush cutter in it

I used the same on mine. They are called laminate trimmers. The one I had was by Makita and it was an amazingly useful tool. I also used it as a slot cutter to make the slots for knock in edge trim. Also handy for making small routed edges on anything up to 3/4" wood. Loved that and will be buying another when I am ready to do my next self build.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I used the same on mine. They are called laminate trimmers. The one I had was by Makita and it was an amazingly useful tool. I also used it as a slot cutter to make the slots for knock in edge trim. Also handy for making small routed edges on anything up to 3/4" wood. Loved that and will be buying another when I am ready to do my next self build.

Had one of them for about 30 years now with a tungsten cutter with a 45 degree angle on the end of it. Trims to size and takes the sharp edge of all in one go.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I dunno - never heard of one - only know how to operate a Brummagem one (screwdriver) which has a proper name which just escapes me at the mo ...

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I dunno - never heard of one - only know how to operate a Brummagem one (screwdriver) which has a proper name which just escapes me at the mo ...

Also called a spiralux screwdriver, mine got nicked years ago, mind you battery power drivers were in then, so I didn't use it any way.

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Also called a spiralux screwdriver, mine got nicked years ago, mind you battery power drivers were in then, so I didn't use it any way.

They were a health hazard, particularly when the screws all had slotted heads, had to careful you didn't take somebody's eye out

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
thanks for all the replys look lie i will use my router and buy a laminate trimmer
cheers bill

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Just thinking of some of the tools I have lost/ been nicked. Two that come to mind were a lovely and expensive Scrolling jig saw and a biscuit jointer. :(

Been buying screwfix erbauer tools lately, nobody nicks them. :LOL:

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Hi Bill,

its not that hard by the looks of things well within my bodging skills lol
bill

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
To do it by hand -
Mark out the face of the Formica in pencil to the finished sizes.
Add a mm or two to these sizes. This allows for any minor chipping of the cut edge.
With a steel straight edge and Stanley knife score the face along the "increased" size marks.
Using a fine bladed saw cut along the scored marks (only cut on the downward stroke). Note, a powered jigsaw cuts on the upward stroke!
Once the cuts are completed finish off the cut edges to the correct size with a hand plane (sharpen before and after the job!).
Stick to the table tops using contact adhesive (Evo Stik or similar).
Once completely dry finish off edges with fine sandpaper to remove any minor irregularities.
Be aware, you'll always see the brown \ black edge of the Formica unless you fit a fore-edge over this.

Given the time and effort involved you may want to think about replacing the table tops \ worktops with pre-finished timber \ particle board?
i love the challenge(y)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!

Oooh yes ! - I do remember them, No 1 husband owned one - also my builder/shopfitter bro-in-law - at the time the kids had those spinning tops that had a 'lick and stick' suction base on them, then you operated the 'handle' on the top of it, to make it spin - my nephew had one and my sis used to call it 'Andy's screwdriver, just like daddy's' LOL

Pete was using his Surform again today, to do another job and said it needed a new blade !

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Surform, another tool from the mists of time.:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back