Forget Grouse Carbon is the New Target (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Interesting, like the title

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Biggest task is controlling deer numbers and keeping them from munching trees
Never worked out how venison is not cheaper than it is?

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Some wealthy landowners are threatening Defra who are preparing to bring in a ban on moorland burning as a voluntary ban has not worked

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
For members who are unaware of Moor burning and are wondering what all the fuss is about. Here is a well written article from a few weeks ago which highlights some of the problems though does not mention them all.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
For members who are unaware of Moor burning and are wondering what all the fuss is about. Here is a well written article from a few weeks ago which highlights some of the problems though does not mention them all.

More beavers needed! But there is an argument heather moors need managing - if you want to keep them. Left to their own devices the moors will be taken over by gorse and bracken. Controlled burning, known as swayling on Dartmoor, seems to work.
Or in other words, I don't have an answer! But whatever it it is it won't involve shooting birds of prey which is what is happening on grouse moors - though there may be a few where this doesn't happen.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Going completely off thread , anyone notice the Somerset Levels did not flood this year?

Could it be something to do with the Dredging and Canal Clearing that went on over last Summer? (much to the disgust of the Enviromentalists )

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Going completely off thread , anyone notice the Somerset Levels did not flood this year?

Could it be something to do with the Dredging and Canal Clearing that went on over last Summer? (much to the disgust of the Enviromentalists )

Who’d have guessed ehh.

Maybe that’s why they did it yearly all those years ago ?

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

Possibly but lots of other measures were taken as well and the rainfall in Jan and Feb was half the rainfall of 2014.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Possibly but lots of other measures were taken as well and the rainfall in Jan and Feb was half the rainfall of 2014.

BBC Spotlight, the local beeb station, weatherman, has said Feb here in the southwest was one of the highest falls, so who am I to believe, a pro or a funster. Just my own observations it has rained here in Cornwall nearly every day since Oct 2nd, today was one of the good days (so far!!)
Also on Spotlight, an expert explaining why the Levels did not flood this year, clearence of Canals and dredging the river, Once again a pro or a funster?

Finally it was 2019.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
BBC Spotlight, the local beeb station, weatherman, has said Feb here in the southwest was one of the highest falls, so who am I to believe, a pro or a funster. Just my own observations it has rained here in Cornwall nearly every day since Oct 2nd, today was one of the good days (so far!!)
Also on Spotlight, an expert explaining why the Levels did not flood this year, clearence of Canals and dredging the river, Once again a pro or a funster?

Finally it was 2019.

Now I know that the :dm: isn't the most reliable of rags but this article gave the impression that the Levels were saved by dredging but it made a few statements that might give a different impression. The rainfall doesn't match what I've checked but it seems that Jan/Feb of this year is similar for both this year and 2014 when the last bug floods occurred (I think).

Other reports from more reliable sources also state that there have been many other projects such as bunds and pumping stations so it may be that dredging isn't the only solution.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Now I know that the :dm: isn't the most reliable of rags but this article gave the

Just got to reiterate in case you missed it, BBC Spotlight, the local Beeb News station on t'telly! was where I got my take on the non flood of the Somerset Levels

B-----B-----C----Spot-----light:doh:

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Just my own observations it has rained here in Cornwall nearly every day since Oct 2nd, today was one of the good days (so far!!)

This is obviously propaganda. I've been telling relatives/friends for years that "it only rains here when you come". It's the Cornwall way :giggle:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

Rainfall Feb 2020 158mm

Rainfall Jan 2020 approx 60mm

Total 220mm

Jan 2014 = 226mm (on top of a wet December which recharged the water tables.

Feb: >180

Plus storms and high tides

Work includes these expenditure:

Lots of activities, not just dredging. And no references to the :dm:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Non in my posts either Once again just in case you missed it,

B-----B-----C-----SPOT-----LIGHT-----NEWS!

I didn't miss it but it seems that hitting yourself on your head has impacted your typing skills so I'll write this slowly for you. Do you have a link for this feature? I have searched to reference to dredging having solved the flooding issue but none of the articles state that it has been the sole solution. Have you considered that the BBC feature simplified the information for the short time it had to discuss it?

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I didn't miss it but it seems that hitting yourself on your head has impacted your typing skills so I'll write this slowly for you. Do you have a link for this feature? I have searched to reference to dredging having solved the flooding issue but none of the articles state that it has been the sole solution. Have you considered that the BBC feature simplified the information for the short time it had to discuss it?

The link in case you missed it was the weather report early in this month, on!!!!! ta da taa raaa!!! BBC SPOTLIGHT NEWS the local Beeb local news programme for the South West Counties

B:doh:----- B:doh:----- C:doh: ----- SPOT:doh:----- LIGHT:doh:-----NEWS:doh:!!!!!!!!!!!

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
The link in case you missed it was the weather report early in this month, on!!!!! ta da taa raaa!!! BBC SPOTLIGHT NEWS the local Beeb local news programme for the South West Counties

B:doh:----- B:doh:----- C:doh: ----- SPOT:doh:----- LIGHT:doh:-----NEWS:doh:!!!!!!!!!!!
So you haven't got a link to the programme. You really must try and stop hitting your head. It is clearly impacting on your ability to understand things. The link would be a hyperlink that would allow others to find out more about the feature.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back