Forestry Scotland Stay the Night Trial (1 Viewer)

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Didn't see anything similar to the Elsan at Clatteringshaws, Sandra, but didn't hang around.
Tried to pay for parking in two different machines in the persisting rain, but no joy so just drank our coffee and moved on. I dont know if the lack of a loch will alter the appearance of the wee beasties but there was more room at Kiroughtrees. Watch out on the approach road just before the entrance as there is a patch of tarmac that manages to shake your fillings out and make you seasick at the same time :giggle:

We've moved on to Kings Green site at Port William on Luce Bay. One of Margarets favourite sites. £13 for a seafront pitch without ehu (or £17 with) Grass but very firm. Elsan, grey & water.
Could only get one night as fully booked for weekend!!

Isle of Man just emerged out of the gloom and the sun's shining.
No midges so far....

View attachment 411553

View attachment 411554
We were there a week or so ago ... lovely but ever so windy ... moved on
8BB667C3-0B3D-493F-8C27-AE6C6DA10823.jpeg
6537EF53-80BE-43FE-8EF0-27689ACBD8EC.jpeg
to the Isle of Whithorn (parking on grass behind pub) ... are at pub as récompense Then farmer told me pub owner removes the no overnighting signs as soon as the council puts them up 😉😂. Wish they’d just charge then we’re all legal.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Didn't see anything similar to the Elsan at Clatteringshaws, Sandra, but didn't hang around.
Tried to pay for parking in two different machines in the persisting rain, but no joy so just drank our coffee and moved on. I dont know if the lack of a loch will alter the appearance of the wee beasties but there was more room at Kiroughtrees. Watch out on the approach road just before the entrance as there is a patch of tarmac that manages to shake your fillings out and make you seasick at the same time :giggle:

I think you could not pay because it is free until end of trial period.

Geoff

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
You still have to pay through the day Geoff, 6pm to 10am is free at the moment.

Barry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Just stopped for coffee at the third 'Stay the Night' site in this area.
7 Stanes on the A710 just south of Dalbeattie.
Made up of a series of small 4 or 5 vehicle 'pockets'. All of these pockets are under trees so in the rain, you would get drips on the roof.
The ground is crushed stone and dust and was a little messy in places.
There is a water tap and long hose so you could fill up with water. Didn't see any elsan point but there are toilets on site. Didn't check these.
Depends where you park but you can hear when a car passes but I imagine the road wouldn't be busy at night.
No views whatsoever other than trees.
Seems to be several (mountain?) bike tracks from the park.
Dalbeattie is a nice small town with plenty of shops and one of our favourite animal charity shops where there is always a good selection of books.
Get the impression conditions would be good for midges!!
Vodafone and EE good 4G reception.
IMG_20200731_113616.jpg
IMG_20200731_113336.jpg
IMG_20200731_113113.jpg
IMG_20200731_113105.jpg
IMG_20200731_112923.jpg
IMG_20200731_113357.jpg
IMG_20200731_120515.jpg

Barry

chenderson1965

Free Member
Aug 3, 2019
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 79R A Class
Exp
10 years with hires, Newbie owner
We’re staying on or second of these sites in 3 nights.

First was at Ae (not a typo!). Not too far of the M74 for an overnight en route. Big car park, with plenty of cars of mountain bikers in the day. Probably 10 MHs overnight, but loads of space between us. Very nice spot with lovely walks on the tracks and by a stream. Cafe a few hundred yards away with clean loos.

Tonight we’re at Balnain, SW of Inverness. Much smaller site but very quiet in the day - just a few dog walkers. Only one other van so far. Half a dozen would give us one section each but each section could hold two or three. Very beautiful woodland walks and trails but nothing at all in the village nearby - just a few b&b’s.

No sign of any supervision/monitoring at either. So far very impressed. I guess they will get busier as the word gets out. Worth saying that this one still has signs saying no overnight parking which must predate the website (because that does, definitely, include this site).

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
This trial is to be curtailed at the end of August, this may be because of pressure from campsite owners.

Stay the Night update

The trial allowing overnight stays of motorhomes and campervans at a small selection of our forest car parks has been met with an overwhelming response.
It has proved to be very popular with campervan visitors and has helped relieve visitor pressures in key locations during the busy holiday season as campsites and caravan grounds have emerged from lockdown and restarted their businesses.
However, as a tourism partner with a vested interest in the return of the sector to full health, we do not want to forestall the gradual recovery of those related businesses and will therefore halt the trial at the end of August.
We have already learned a great deal and hope to reintroduce a trial next season to allow us to further test and evaluate options for overnight parking.
We apologise for any disappointment that this might cause but hope that caravanners and camper-vanners will understand that this will help to strengthen the sector for the long-term benefit of everyone.

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
This trial is to be curtailed at the end of August, this may be because of pressure from campsite owners.

Stay the Night update

The trial allowing overnight stays of motorhomes and campervans at a small selection of our forest car parks has been met with an overwhelming response.
It has proved to be very popular with campervan visitors and has helped relieve visitor pressures in key locations during the busy holiday season as campsites and caravan grounds have emerged from lockdown and restarted their businesses.
However, as a tourism partner with a vested interest in the return of the sector to full health, we do not want to forestall the gradual recovery of those related businesses and will therefore halt the trial at the end of August.
We have already learned a great deal and hope to reintroduce a trial next season to allow us to further test and evaluate options for overnight parking.
We apologise for any disappointment that this might cause but hope that caravanners and camper-vanners will understand that this will help to strengthen the sector for the long-term benefit of everyone.
We have stayed at 3 of these sites over the past week.........I read the update about an hour ago and took the opportunity of completing their requested survey.........I am of the same opinion as you , lobbying and pressure from vested interest individuals and organisations to halt the scheme..........Can't possibly have innovative forward thinking schemes can we, especially if it means a lesser input of cash to vested interests.It will be interesting to see if the stay the night scheme actually does reappear " next season" as they describe it in the update.

aria

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 2, 2016
Kincardineshire.
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
That’s very disappointing. I stayed at ‘Winding Walks’ near Fochabers IV32 7PG and it was perfect. No facilities but a nice quiet night.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
I have, this morning, emailed their head office. I did point out that currently most campsites are at capacity and come November they nearly all close. I shall also email my various MSP's and MP, forestry is a mainstay in my part of Scotland so they may sit up and take notice.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

Stay the Night update

The announcemen ends:-

What 'sector'[singular]? There is not just one amongst MHomers and I would guess that a lot who have used 'Stay the Night' are those who like a peaceful location regardless of any facilities.

They are not the same sector who want the campsites to be profitable, although some users may overlap into both sectors.

I believe we have to keep drumming home this distinction to those in any authority, and to the public who say about those seeking peace and quiet that 'They can go and park on campsites, but not here'

Geoff

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
What a shame, Stay The Night looked like a great idea, if you followed the rules, stayed for only one night, paid whatever, whenever an overnight fee was introduced for 2021.
I would be happy to try these out, and even be a volunteer litter picker given the chance, so that we could be seen as an asset to these lovely outdoor spots, paying our way in kind to see them remain for the long term.
I would like to know, who exactly have complained, and for what reason, lets hope we find out, and the trial is extended next year.(y)
LES

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
As I said I have emailed all 8 of my MSP's here in the South of Scotland. For those of you not living in Scotland yes, we do have 8 MSP's , a constituency MSP and 7 Regional MSP's. It's overkill but it does no harm to shout about it. No good contacting my MP as he has no influence in these matters.

In the South of Scotland two of the largest industries are forestry and tourism, predominantly campsites, so this is important to us.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Fantastic news,:giggle::giggle::giggle:Many thanks to the FLS(y) lets hope the few dont spoil it for the rest, I certainly will be giving these places a go next year, I will even take my litter picking tool & spare refuse sacks.
Woe betide if I see anyone leaving more than tracks, or taking the mickey by overstaying the welcome that's been extended to all of us.
Best news of the day, thanks to all that contacted the FLS to show we care, and are grateful to be offered this facility.
LES

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Spent Friday night at Kirroughtree Forest Visitor Centre. Twelve assorted campervans and motorhomes, well distanced apart from a couple obviously traveling together. No campfires (hate them near tents or vans), a few BBQ's going. Very quiet, will return.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
An update to this thread....

We are overnighting at Clatteringshaws.

Arrived at 1500hrs and paid the £3 for the day rate to 1800, anticipating that it was still free overnight.
Re-read the conditions on the signs and this must be one of the selected few...

"There may be a small cost

A small charge for staying the night will apply at some of our participating car parks, where parking meters are already in place. This will be no more than £6. Please pay for your stay by purchasing and displaying two day tickets. Normal parking charges at pay and display car parks apply outside of Stay the Night hours, 6pm to 10am.

The pay machines are coin only so make sure you have change. We managed to catch the cafe before it closed and bought the (two) Day tickets at £3 each to allow us to stay overnight (are you keeping up? :rolleyes:)

The very pleasant lady in the cafe also intimated that the charges were being enforced!

Still excellent value!!! considering there is a tap and an Elsan point.
IMG_20210516_170356.jpg
IMG_20210516_170338.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
There was another Burstner parked in that exact spot last night.

The single occupant spent about an hour and several back and forward shuffles trying to set up the self levelling.

Thought it was going to turn over :rolleyes:

Just saying in case you wonder what all the round flat marks are on the ground::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Apr 12, 2017
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 140
Exp
Good news for us Motorhomes let us hope it is successful and not abused. They are asking for feedback so please consider responding positively.

It's great they've extended it.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
I emailed Forestry Scotland this morning regarding the 'Stay the Night' trial that is due to end on 31 Oct 2021. I received a reply within a couple of hours and it's not all good news :cry: :( .....

"Dear Barry,

Thanks for your email and your supportive comments for our Stay the Night initiative.

As you noted our Stay the Night initiative ends this year on 31 October, after this all the participating Stay the Night car parks return to our standard policy of no overnight parking permitted at any FLS managed car park.

Will be reviewing all the feedback, comments and data we have gathered over the 2021 season later in the year to help us decide on what we do, or don’t do, with Stay the Night next year.

Enjoy exploring Scotland and please stay safe,

Motorhome and Campervan Trial Team"

Perhaps it's worthwhile making sure that those of us that have used this facility in the past ensuring that we use the feedback webpage...

Or the feedback tab from their homepage...

or if you are considering using it in the future, using the contact email....

campervantrial@forestryandland.gov.scot

to express your interest?

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
A little late in the day I know, but I have just checked Forestry Scotland's website to see when the Stay the Night scheme was restarting this year, only to discover that they have been trialling a Winter scheme.

Looks like about 25 sites are included in the trial....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back