LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Have just been reading on FaceAche about the current fires raging in Portugal. There hasn't been anything on the UK news about this as far as I know, has anyone got any more (reliable I. E not Facebook) information about where the fires are?

We are just about to cross into Northern Spain and make our way over to Portugal and could do with knowing where to avoid.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
And supposedly started deliberately.

Would this be anything to do with the Catalan situation?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
No, we are in Central Portugal, we had to flee last night, we were surrounded. We drove about 15k to,somewhere we felt would be safe, but the fires came there too. Went to sleep at 4 and got awoken at 7.30 by a knock on the door. More flames raging in the woodlands behind the police station. We are parked on a large open area where the market usually is and right next to a police station. We can't move as we don't know in what direction to go. The skies are full of smoke. Our biggest local town Oliveira do Hospital has been hit hard. Thankfully the winds have dropped. Hoping for some rain today, but more than a few spots.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Must be scary for you @Sundowners . At least being near to the police station will hopefully do you good.

All it needs is for a few large Aires to be evacuated and the streets will become clogged.

Hopefully the rain will come.

Stay safe!

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
No, we are in Central Portugal, we had to flee last night, we were surrounded. We drove about 15k to,somewhere we felt would be safe, but the fires came there too. Went to sleep at 4 and got awoken at 7.30 by a knock on the door. More flames raging in the woodlands behind the police station. We are parked on a large open area where the market usually is and right next to a police station. We can't move as we don't know in what direction to go. The skies are full of smoke. Our biggest local town Oliveira do Hospital has been hit hard. Thankfully the winds have dropped. Hoping for some rain today, but more than a few spots.
Wow, that sounds terrifying! I suppose if worst should come to worst, there'll be a basement sanctuary in the police station, I suppose they can give you advice anyway?
Take care, stay safe

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Sorry to read you are in the thick of it, sounds like you are in a very scary situation.

I am trying to research where all this is happening but our 3g is so poor here I am not getting much joy.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
That's a very scary situation to be in, I hope you are safe. We are quite a bit north of you but have seen the blackness of where the fires have been on our way down here in Almedia. Rain expected for the next few days I hope it's not Just a drizzle too.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Sorry to read you are in the thick of it, sounds like you are in a very scary situation.

I am trying to research where all this is happening but our 3g is so poor here I am not getting much joy.
Just inland and South from Aveiro is (below Porto)

Martin

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I have also just read that the Galicia region on North Western Spain is struggling with fires at the moment. Apparently it is the effects of the Hurricane heading towards Ireland that is fanning the flames of the fires in both Spain and Portugal.

I think we might go to the Picos de Europe area and hang around there for a bit of cycling.

Good luck to anyone in these areas, stay safe.

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
There is an app that alerts you when and where there is danger of fires it shows on a map where the are

Fogos.pt ..if you still have any wifi available

Also on faceache a group called Safe Communities Portugal which also passes on up to date info ...

A few of us here already on the Algarve have been using this app

Safe travels ...hopefully the heavy rains will arrive as forecasted for the week

Kath

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
There is an app that alerts you when and where there is danger of fires it shows on a map where the are

Fogos.pt ..if you still have any wifi available

Also on faceache a group called Safe Communities Portugal which also passes on up to date info ...

A few of us here already on the Algarve have been using this app

Safe travels ...hopefully the heavy rains will arrive as forecasted for the week

Kath
Good to hear from you Kath, I knew you were down in the Algarve assume that area is unaffected, if Ven and Brewery Dave still down there?

I know @horshamjack was travelling down the west coast but not sure where they are now.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
IMG_0701.JPG
This was taken just as we were leaving our land.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
This all happened yesterday evening. Would like to go back to see what devastation has been caused to our village, the neighbours and our land, but a bit reluctant at the moment. Not sure if the fires are still going, on our route, so may be stay here another night just to make sure. Found out this morning that my cousin has lost everything, only 8 k away.

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Good to hear from you Kath, I knew you were down in the Algarve assume that area is unaffected, if Ven and Brewery Dave still down there?

I know @horshamjack was travelling down the west coast but not sure where they are now.

Yes Brewery Dave and Ven are here also ..we are at Silves everything here is ok

Keep safe everyone

Blimey Pamelar and Nigel bit too close for comfort ..wasn't quite sure what area you were in .sorry to learn about your cousins loss hope things are better for you both though

John n Kath x

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Just caught up, how frightening to watch it approaching, relevied to hear you got away safely, I hope when you get back the damage is not too great. Wise move to stay put another day I think, fingers crossed for rain.

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
That's so frightening @Sundowners, glad you're both safe.

As Kath has already said we are fine down in Silves. We drove from Caceres to Alvor in one hit this time to avoid the fires up north, I did not want the stress of worrying about them.

Keep safe everybody xx

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
Perhaps three weeks ago we were quietly driving across northern Portugal towards Miranda do Douro, and in the distance perhaps 50+ kms away a few whiffs of smoke on the horizon...As we drove on we occasionally caught sight of it but on entering quite a large town, Macedo de Caveleiros, you could easily see smoke coming from behind a hill perhaps 1km from the town...Nobody was taking any notice...

As we left the town, the fire perhaps a km to our right, and I noticed a fire engine (water carrier) behind me, I pulled over to let him past but full of water he couldn't do 40 kmph , a policeman waves me on, and now I notice another 5 fire engines behind me.. Of course the road doubles back on itself and 500 metres later you could hear the crackling of the fire, feel the heat and it was very dark with the black smoke and then 500 metres later the sun shining and all is peaceful...
P9240019.JPG

P9240020.JPG

P9240026.JPG

I pulled over in a layby to let the fire engines past and on they went, to return past about 10 minutes later... When the aeroplanes/helicopters were dropping water it seemed to be contained but as they left to refill the fire took back control... Cars were still going past in both directions without any visible concern until perhaps 20 minutes later when a car came past saying the fire was out of control and to move away... the road was closed...The final photo below was taken an hour later from perhaps 50kms away...
P9240030.JPG

Apr 23, 2014
Spain ??
Funster No
MH
Ice cream van
Exp
Since 2011

Portugal have suffered very bad this year with fires, I feel for the poor people that have lost their homes and family,
We are at Peniche at the moment so not much forestry although the passing sirens from the Bombeiros were busy with fires raging some miles away yesterday, we could see the plumes of thick smoke in the distance,

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Just stay safe folks. That's all that matters.

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Portugal have suffered very bad this year with fires, I feel for the poor people that have lost their homes and family,
We are at Peniche at the moment so not much forestry although the passing sirens from the Bombeiros were busy with fires raging some miles away yesterday, we could see the plumes of thick smoke in the distance,
Thanks for checking in March, give my love to Sam and give Max a ball throw from me.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
We were told by a local today there was 67 seperate fires and 3 dead its so sad , its forcast for rain tonight for once I hope it pours down

Reactions: f6c

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back