Forecourt air pumps (1 Viewer)

Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
Hi there. This may seem like a dumb question, but I don't want to get to a garage forecourt with the van and then be stuck! Anyone know if the standard for court pumps go up high enough for motorhome tyres? The pressures recommended on the doorpost are 55 and 80.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Gerri

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Yes they do (well Morrisons do and their kit looks like standard). However you may wish to confuse yourself and read the tyre pressure thread first :rolleyes: :eek: :D

Upvote 0

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Some only go up to 60. You're best finding one on the commercial vehicle side. We tend to use the ones on the motorway services but we're lucky that we have a few options near us as our local she'll, esso and tesco are no good. Our tyres need 75 and 80

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ockerron
Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks for your help guys! We're just setting off for Chester shortly so if Morrisons is no good we can stop on the motorway! Happy days!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
And I guess I better check mine before heading off much later today.
It's a beautiful sunny morning in Edinburgh.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Air pumps at many French supermarket fuel stations frequently do not go high enough and many have a very inadequate kind of clip fixing to attach the nozzle to the valve. Several times I have had to drive away with less pressure in the tyre than when I arrived! Fortunately I carry an electric processor but it takes an age to do the business.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I think they are mainly geared up for cars but if you visit a garage that deals with HGV's they normally do provide higher pressure pumps.

Alan

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ockerron
Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks for all your replies peeps. We went to the newly opened Morrisons near us having first checked it out by car. All sorted!

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I carry a track pump for the bikes and find it OK for the motorhome, quicker than the electric jobs and no messing with wires and it keeps you fit.

Good for over 100psi if you fancy it but I stop arond 60.

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Some do some don't, best do what I do every time we are going on a longer trip.I take my motorhome to local tyre fitter and ask nicely if they can check my tyres for me, usually done no problems and only ask for a small donation to the means "tea box" kitty
Their pressure gauges are regularly checked to be accurate.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
This of course opens up that can of worms known as "what exactly should my tyre pressures be?" I have only recently discovered that I have been running mine far too high because I went by what was written in the vehicle handbook. It wasn't until I looked at the Continental data sheets that I found what the pressures should be, which was much less than I expected - and the vehicle rides much more comfortably now.

My understanding is you need to know what your axle weights are then ask the tyre manufacturer - if they don't publish the information. For Continental the information is available although it is quite a brain-buster to understand it!

Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Don't do what, ermm, somebody I know did.

I, sorry he, set pressure to 70 PSI as last geezer left some free air. After about 2 mins, the air ran out so I, sorry he, put another 50p in and carried on.

After a few minutes I, sorry he, noticed that all the tyres looked a bit flat.

Ahem, when money runs out, it always sets air pressure to default 28 PSI.

What a Muppet my pal is ;)

Upvote 0

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I wouldn't leave home without the correct pressures but then I do have a compressor to do the job. Perhaps if you're only a few pounds under on the PSI it's ok to drive a few miles to a garage but as said earlier you've then got hot tyres.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back