Ford Transit Security? Any Update on 2017 models? (1 Viewer)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Hi

Been browsing the Forums and Net, for updated info on the previously known issues with Transit Based vehicle door security.

The wife of a friend, recently deceased, has decided to swap their current van for a new 2017 Chausson Flash, which is on the transit base. As she does not want to stop Motor-homing.

Have Ford got the issue solved or is the answer still to change the (tibbe?) lock for a more secure one?.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
A disklok thingy on the steering wheel is still a big deterrent.

Yesterday I read a story about a festival goer whose very desirable Ford Focus RS was broken into. The front seats were stolen, but the disklok stayed intact and the thieves didn't/couldn't steal the car itself.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
The thing is, Ford or not, that a tap on a glass window with a suitable implement & access is gained, double deadlocks should prevent the doors being opened, but if the scum have the electronic kit & access to a live o.b.d. port electrical entry is gained & very little can be done to deter the determined thief.

Electrically disabling the o.b.d. port is relatively simple & renders their electronic device useless.

Diskloks & pedal locks certainly seem deter the opportunist as they only want easy, quick pickings i.m.o.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
In a word...No.
Ford either won't acknowledge a problem or simply won't do anything about it.
Same scenario as the Fiat clutch judder.
There's a post confirming this somewhere on the forum.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Electrically disabling the o.b.d. port is relatively simple & renders their electronic device useless.
So does removing the locking system from the ECU.
It can be a 'stand alone' system separate from the vans computerised system as is aftermarket electronic central locking

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
If you suffer the problems that quite a few people have had with injectors on the new Transit's you may be glad if it's stolen.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
I have put an OBD port lock on our MK7 Transit and it's a pretty hefty bit of kit. Not cheap but you get what you pay for.

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
Mine is a 2010 Transit, but I have fitted a Garrison Lock to the driver's door (there's no external access to the lock on the passenger door) and I have one of the best-rated and highly visible security steering locks. There's a lockable safety handle over the habitation door and a massive wheel lock plus, of course, the vehicle's after-market alarm. But has already been said, Mercedes, Fiat or Transit, the easy way in is through a window and locks on those are pretty weak. Be sensible about where and how you park, slow the thief down as much as you can..............and cross your fingers (y)

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
A disklok thingy on the steering wheel is still a big deterrent.

Yesterday I read a story about a festival goer whose very desirable Ford Focus RS was broken into. The front seats were stolen, but the disklok stayed intact and the thieves didn't/couldn't steal the car itself.
In this instance, the thieves would've been specifically targeting the seats.
Theft of seats and manufacturer fit multimedia units from hot hatches (not just Ford) is another widely reported crime wave... Both items are rare/desirable and easily sold for good money (n)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back