LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I recently bought a new van as my daily driver and being a transit, I was very worried about the security issues. In particular the OBDII port by the driver's knee. It has been well reported in the press and indeed on this forum that the Transit as a base vehicle is extremely easy to steal. A few bits and bobs easily and cheaply sourced from ebay and software from a forum available free, make it a matter of seconds getting into the van without damage. Then just 20 to 30 seconds with a laptop and £10 cable connected to the OBD (diagnostics port) and you can start the engine and drive away

Preventing entry to the cab is no simple task, but you can purchase a replacement door lock and fit a surround that stops a would be thief just turning the whole lock in the door with pipe grips.

Once in, you need to make it as hard as possible to steal the van. I have gone with a Diskloc wheel lock (small) which covers the steering wheel and prevents the would be thief from turning the steering. This only slows them down though as with an angle grinder they can be cut off given enough time

Then I relocated the OBD port, fitted a security shield over the wiring and installed a new port in a substantial steel box. This took me about 40 minutes including having a coffee half way through and is a very substantial upgrade to the security of the van. Without the security key, which is pick proof, neither a garage, nor a thief is getting at the OBD port quickly

I searched online for the best solution and then the best price. I chose the TVL OBD lock, which comes as a kit of parts and made the install simple

I purchased this Kit from an ebay seller for £129

I would highly recommend it to any Ford Transit owner

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
The mk8 is now far harder to get into than previous marques... the old trick of a sharp blade down the gap between the front wing and door cutting the wires making the van think it's been in a crash so unlocking the doors is a thing of the past... plus the locks themselves are protected on the inside of the door skin so they can no longer be turned by a set of of comb pliers etc and the software upgrade also stops other doors from unlocking.

Most Transit van attacks now occur through the side door as the cab is too time consuming.

... but that hasn't stopped me adding to our vans protection!

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
TheBig1 have you still got the installation instructions for the OBD port lock?
I have one that I want to sell but can’t find the instructions.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
TheBig1

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
TheBig1 have you still got the installation instructions for the OBD port lock?
I have one that I want to sell but can’t find the instructions.
Yes I have a printed copy, but if it's the same lock, the video I posted has all the detail. Let me know if I can help

OP
OP
TheBig1

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp