Ford transit - extra batteries (1 Viewer)

cellojane

Free Member
Oct 6, 2009
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Forgive me if this is obvious!:Blush:
In case it's of interest to others I had a chat with the friendly AA man this week and he informed me that there is space for 2 batteries under each seat in the transit cab - the mounting brackets for two batteries under one seat is about £15 from Ford. We're thinking of an extra leisure battery and didn't realise there was space right next to the exsisting one so were going to put it in the cupboard next door. Maybe others will feel like having one fitted if they realise how easy it is.
jane

hallii

Free Member
Apr 23, 2010
Worcestershire
Funster No
Exp
20 or so
Hello Jane, mine has already got two leisure batteries but not both under the seat, one is in a cupboard.

Just a point, you should install two new batteries as the older one will not have the same capacity as the new one, this is important for efficient charging and battery life.

You might find that you can fit a bigger capacity battery (which will be bigger in size as well) in place of the one you have.

Hallii

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Yep
Easy to get 2x 100AH batteries under each seat. No need for brackets either as, under the pax seat, its a tight fit and they won't move. I've just used a ratchet-strap (poundland probably) and they can't move a mm.

There is also existing plasitc covered ducting between the seats (need to pull up all carpet/foam etc) so you can safely run thick cable between them (though protect cable on seat box entry). Also there is ducting towards the dash so if you want to run habitation power to dash (for instance for a radio mod and/or a habitation AUX socket) you can safely.

(Transit mk6 at least!)

Elecsol 100 AH fit fine and the 110 *may*. Height is critical as the 100AHs only just fit (with my swivel plate fitted at least)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
My new HYmer Exsis on the FWD Tranny has an 85Ah leisure battery and halogen lights need to change to leds and a larger battery. Do you know if I can install 100 Ah batteries in this model?

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
In case it's of interest to others I had a chat with the friendly AA man this week and he informed me that there is space for 2 batteries under each seat in the transit cab....
There is also room to easily fit an 85ah on top of the n/s inner wheel arch and if it's a non-turbo 2.5 you will even have room for a 110ah.

If you fit a battery anywhere inside, remember to vent it!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back