LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Just back from Ford garage & no more info. about the recall code but only took 45 minutes to do software change & there is a real improvement in the sound & running of the engine - defiinitely more car rather than van like now:Smile: Hopefully it will now avoid having a problem with the pistons & will be interesting to see if we get more mpg. Just wish Ford & Chausson could have got their act together 7 months ago & that there has been no harm done running it in the meantime.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Bump - trying to reach as many possibly affected owners as possible.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Has anyone checked with Ford & found that they need this done but not had a letter yet?
Need to keep up visibility of this post to reach as many people as possible.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
was surprised to find that my 2010 citroen relay has a ford engine, thanks for the info on what may be a possible problem, shall get mine checked out asap..

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
was surprised to find that my 2010 citroen relay has a ford engine, thanks for the info on what may be a possible problem, shall get mine checked out asap..
Hopefully it won't apply to yours but only a phone call to check for peace of mind. If it does need doing, on the up side, it will run better as well as avoiding future problems. Hoping for better mpg too but no trips planned for a few weeks so won't know for a while.

leeboy

Free Member
Sep 24, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Ours is a Chausson with Ford Transit 2.2TDCi Duratorq diesel engine 140 bhp first registered in November 2013 but as it was the NEC show demonstrator of the Best Of 04 model so it is the same as the new ones delivered earlier this year. As we don't yet know which Ford models & engines this essential upgrade applies to I would still suggest that anyone with a newish Ford Transit Mark 7 chassis motorhome rings their local Ford Dealer with their VIN to check even if they don't have the 2.2 Duratorq.
Hi,
phoned my local Ford dealer in Sheffield last week and they said they'd get back to me. Surprise surprise, no call back so phoned Ford uk and was assured there was no recall. Half an hour later, my local dealer phoned me confirming that (amazing that they phoned so soon after I complained to Ford uk!) Any way, mine is a Chausson Flash Best of 10 registered February this year with the 2.2 diesel 140bhp engine which pulls like a train.
Hope this helps,
Lee.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Hi,
phoned my local Ford dealer in Sheffield last week and they said they'd get back to me. Surprise surprise, no call back so phoned Ford uk and was assured there was no recall. Half an hour later, my local dealer phoned me confirming that (amazing that they phoned so soon after I complained to Ford uk!) Any way, mine is a Chausson Flash Best of 10 registered February this year with the 2.2 diesel 140bhp engine which pulls like a train.
Hope this helps,
Lee.
Seems odd ours is a Best of 10 registered march its on the recall!!

David

leeboy

Free Member
Sep 24, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Seems odd ours is a Best of 10 registered march its on the recall!!

David
Hi David,
my ford chasis was built october 2013 according to the etis site when was your's built?
Lee.

Minimartha

Free Member
Apr 27, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 209
Hi, just in case this helps. Chausson Flash 04 from new, September 2013. Just turned 10,300 miles. Received letter from Trigano in France (Chausson) on June 15th regarding PCM upgrade 3S548. Booked 'van to local Ford dealer - mine has the Duratorq 2.2 140bhp engine and as noted before goes like a train. Job done today in 20 minutes and well explained regarding excess cylinder pressure at low engine temperatures. Two oddities - the reg number doesn't show on Ford software so dealer enters VIN number (something to do with registration of French built vehicle); and the rolling display of km done\km to empty\km per litre\outside temp etc disappeared completely, and the mechanic had to re-install from his software. No other upgrades showed up as needed. Drving back (40 miles) it seemed a little quieter (probably my imagination) and ran at 9.4l\100km when my average is 9.8, so maybe slight mpg improvement? I had occasionally managed to stall her at low speeds and attempted to do so but couldn't, tickover feels a little higher so maybe that has improved as well?
Anyway, definitely worth doing for the peace of mind. I LOVE the engine, best 'van I've ever driven.

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Just had the "anti-stall" upgrade done and it seems to do what it says on the tin. Liking it so far.

Tim

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Definitely worth having it done & worth checking with Ford dealer quoting your VIN. Anyone else rung up & found that theirs needs doing even if they haven't had a letter yet?

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Bump - just in case some with Transit chassis haven't seen this yet.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
We have a Chausson on a Transit base, registered April 14. Had no letter from Chausson, but went to Ford Main Dealer today to be told, no recall, no mods required. Also checked on the Ford link given in an earlier post, same result. For peace of mind will check with a different dealer, but if they all look at same website doubt the answer will be different.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Following this thread I contacted my local Ford main dealer who agreed to look at the engine management software and up date if necessary for a total of £49.50 inc vat. Seemed reasonable so I booked it in today, sure enough the software needed an up date and the engine does seem less likely to stall from take off...time will tell re any mpg benefits.
Interestingly there were two other outstanding recalls on the vehicle, one regarding the suspension and one regarding the power steering pump, these they sorted foc whilst the vehicle was with them.
I guess the lesson is that the vehicle should see the inside of a Ford main dealer every now and then!

Apr 30, 2014
Fife
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper
Exp
Since 2012
Went into the Ford main dealer today to enquire about my Chausson best of 10 which was registered in April 2014.
It didn't show on the database with the reg number but came up on the vin number and said it was built in Nov 2013, however no recall or update required.
This was a pity as I managed to stall it a couple of times when I was getting used to it, usually trying to take off in second while just rolling at low speed. I remember when it was almost impossible to stall a diesel but I suppose that's progress!

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
The "anti-stall" is an optional update for the Transit engine. If, as you let the clutch out, the revs pick up automatically then your engine has the update. If not it probably hasn't.

I don't think that they routinely offer it, it's a kind of "on specific request only" update. Ours was very easy to stall until we got the update.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
The "anti-stall" is an optional update for the Transit engine. If, as you let the clutch out, the revs pick up automatically then your engine has the update. If not it probably hasn't.

I don't think that they routinely offer it, it's a kind of "on specific request only" update. Ours was very easy to stall until we got the update.

Is the "anti-stall" update done for free ?

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I contacted Hartford motors in Scunthorpe the guy said he had never heard of any recalls , i asked about the anti stall upgrade, i gave him the vin numbers he said he would still have to put the laptop on it to find out at a cost of over £90 plus vat , no refund if it dose not need doing , look like i will have to contact other ford dealers ,

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
If your vehicle is in warranty & has a Ford service then recall work /updates are done automatically then at no extra cost. Outside of warranty it sounds like it's worth negotiating with local Ford garages when booking it in for a service as the cost seems to vary a lot. For the newish Ford chassis motorhomes that are not shown on the Ford system as needing this 3S548 upgrade/recall that is probably because it was done automatically as part of the pre delivery check. At least 3 of us on here needed to have this done so it is a real issue so worth checking rather than risking cracked pistons & other related problems down the line. For anyone that has had the letter & not rushed to get it done it might be worth noting that this may invalidate your warranty according to our local Ford dealership!

cudleydudley

Free Member
May 5, 2008
cheshunt herts
Funster No
MH
20012 tribute t-625
Exp
2003=11years
Following this thread I contacted my local Ford main dealer who agreed to look at the engine management software and up date if necessary for a total of £49.50 inc vat. Seemed reasonable so I booked it in today, sure enough the software needed an up date and the engine does seem less likely to stall from take off...time will tell re any mpg benefits.
Interestingly there were two other outstanding recalls on the vehicle, one regarding the suspension and one regarding the power steering pump, these they sorted foc whilst the vehicle was with them.
I guess the lesson is that the vehicle should see the inside of a Ford main dealer every now and then!

cudleydudley

Free Member
May 5, 2008
cheshunt herts
Funster No
MH
20012 tribute t-625
Exp
2003=11years
HI, ZAINSPOPS, WHICH FORD DEALER DID YOU GO TO ,??
my local dealer wants £ 87.00 +vat to "look" then "if" anything needs doing they will give me a quote, robbing bathbuns
george

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
HI, ZAINSPOPS, WHICH FORD DEALER DID YOU GO TO ,??
my local dealer wants £ 87.00 +vat to "look" then "if" anything needs doing they will give me a quote, robbing bathbuns
george
Hi the dealer was Lookers Chelmsford
Broken Link Removed
Give them a call and get a quotation,.best of luck!

cudleydudley

Free Member
May 5, 2008
cheshunt herts
Funster No
MH
20012 tribute t-625
Exp
2003=11years
thanks again, i rang them at Colchester, the price quoted to me £47.5 for half hour, test, PLUS extra for adjustments if required, and £90.00 for 1 hour test PLUS extra if adjustments required. [who is to say IF a half hour is enough me or them]
i live in Cheshunt so Colchester a bit far, so im now looking for a mobile who may be able to help .
thanks again mate,at least a have a starting price to work by. george

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
We have had a letter from Chausson saying that the upgrade "optimizes engine operation & improves driving comfort"

but when checking online the upgrade code 3S548 there are reports saying "the dealer showed me their notification. At low engine temperature, below 20°c excess cylinder pressure can cause piston cracks or failure." .

Clearly an issue with French to English translation or the best lie from a manufacturer this week!

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
Many thanks for the Headsup on this. Our Transit 2.2 125PS, built 08-06-2013, is booked in with local Ford agent for both Oil Pump and Software Upgrade next week

This seems to be a good argument for having the vehicle servicing done at the Ford agent rather than the Motorhome agent, who did our Habitation and Vehicle service in September, and said nothing

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back