MH
Low profile swift
Exp
Since 2019
Hi all
Just wanted to know has any subscribers own or did own a Ford based Motorhome
I’m in the middle of trying to find out
The reliability of the Ford engine v Fiat one
And also is there any need to upgrade from the standard Ford engine of 2.0litre 130 Hp
To the 170hp when I looking at a sub 6m van for future use
Does the fuel economy really improve on a smaller van or is it just slightly quicker on acceleration
Any thoughts would be appreciated
Thanks
Steve

Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
17 years + since 2006
I have a Tribute 615T on a 2.2 ford 2014, plenty of humph in it , I prefer it to the Fiats i have had , Had this coming up to 5 years and average 27mpg so happy with that and yes it is quick on acceleration. plus no timing belt to change.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Someone will be along to tell you that your Ford will be stolen.
It should be noted that Fords appear to be more likely to be stolen, HOWEVER, you would need to temper this with the amount of Motorhomefunsters who have actually had their Ford stolen.
It should come into your thinking, but not to the point of refusal to buy one because of that reason (imv)

A Ford owner who bought one DESPITE the reports. I m not mechanically minded, but I do appreciate a good drive and mine gives me that and 27MPG

I sincerely hope your thread does not turn into "It will get stolen" thread, as you are now aware.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
Would go with Ford every time had ours 11years no problems, 100% reliable, part and service cheep. Just need to spend £500 on extra security. (All makes are being stollen, just some are in denial). Some insurance company’s load the price, but I insure ours @ £30k for £230 per year, just need to shop around. Only thing to watch on some of the newer (possible automatic) models is towing weights. As some have small or no towing capacity.

just for fun, next time your driving around count how many transits and fiat vans you see on the road over 8 years old? That’s the basis of an expensive purchase.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Whichever you go for I would look at additional security
If second hand check out the issues with both engines
If new go for the higher HP if you can afford it, it makes things more relaxed to drive and very little effect on mpg
Size and weight make a bit of a difference to mpg but they all have the aerodynamics of a brick anyway. Unless you are doing mega miles the difference in fuel cost is not big compared to the overall cost of having a motorhome.
Personally I would have more concerns about the quality of the conversion than if it's Ford, Fiat or whatever

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
I too have had both. To be honest I wouldnt worry too much about it, its the layout and habitation area that is miles more important

As I see it

Transit. +Great to drive. Powerful engines.
- Very sketchy reliability record (Injector faults). Ugly. Always worried about terrible security. Rust?. Makes overall length longer due to long nose

Fiat. +Proven reliability (relatively), made in greater numbers. Camper Assist (if new). Very few rust issues. Shorter
- High driving position. Electrical gremlins when older

OP
OP
S m w
Oct 5, 2019
Essex
Funster No
MH
Low profile swift
Exp
Since 2019
Thanks for the information that you all replied with
Seems better option to get the 170 hp version if buying new and within your budget
Looks like there is security issues as well
Did hear that fords are more likely to be stolen and I would definitely fit a top grade alarm and tracker as well for piece of mind
Thanks
Steve

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I am now on my second Hymer on Fiat, the first an older 2.8l manual and my present one on a 150hp auto and have put 10k on the clock since new. More than adequate acceleration even when towing toad, totally reliable and fill to fill up to 28mpg.

Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Recent
I hear a lot about failed injectors on the Ford but don't have experience of driving or owning one. Or at least a MH, had a few Ford cars over the years! I'm happy with my 150bhp Fiat though.

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
We have the new facelift Ford.

The new ecoblue engine is far superior to the PSA /Ford Puma it has replaced which in itself is a high benchmark to surpass.

The 130 has more pull than Fiat's new euro6D 160 & the the 6 speed auto has a Borg Warner torque converter.

They are all fitted with a 70L fuel tank and 20L adBlue tank.

Engine upgrades and auto option are also far cheaper than the Fiat offerings. There is also no weight gain effecting your payload. The chassis cab is also lighter than the Sevel platform which is now quite dated.

The biggest downside for many is that you can't have them up plated, they're all 3500kg.

The basic cab equipment outstrips the Sevel platforms and the cab options in a drivers packs offer far more modern driver aids, a heated windscreen for instance and more intuitive finger tip operation for hands free, media & cruise control/limiter. The dashboard itself has evolved from the Mondeo in a similar way to what VW have done with the T6 & Golf, you feel you're sitting in it rather than on it... a very positive driving experience.

Ford have overcome many of the security issues with the Mk8 and the Mk8 facelift. You can no longer cut the cable cluster between the door and front wing ( the van would think it had been in an RTA and unlock) and the door locks now have steel plates in the door skins. However, insurance companies will still want to see a a certificate of installation for a tracker, but the premiums are no different... We currently pay £335 with repatriation full Euro breakdown and additions for more expensive contents etc.

We have also added additional internal door locks, which are an easy diy fit if you know your way around a rivet gun, they're very solid. OBD cover, steering wheel lock & wheel clamp... we've always used the clamp and large steering wheel cover and have also fitted OBD covers to the Fiats we've owned.

Main users are Chausson who will offer all of the chassis cab options, Auto Trail, ditto, Same with Benimar, Roller Team but less cab features and Bailey who still use the older Puma engine which isn't as emission compliant as the new ecoblue.

For payload, the Benimar & Bailey are heavy due to all of the gear fitted to them. The Chausson, Auto Trail & Roller Team are the lighter vans and are built to the same standard, in some models they even share the same upholstery.

If I was to rank them?

Chausson... Auto Trail... Roller Team... Benimar... Bailey.

We have a Auto Trail F Line F70 with a 130 engine and the auto box. It goes like a train fully loaded.

OP
OP
S m w
Oct 5, 2019
Essex
Funster No
MH
Low profile swift
Exp
Since 2019
Thanks jonno great information and advice on your post
Much appreciated
Steve

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
My 10 year old Ford Transit based Tribute T620 has been regularly serviced at a Ford main dealer at very reasonable cost, has never let me down, has been totally reliable, does 27 mpg average and the engine gets better the more miles I've done. Like a car to drive, very comfortable, easy controls .... what's not to like? I had a Fiat Seval before which was a bag of nails and attracted the old tin worm like bees to a honey pot! Admittedly I did have the Ford Waxoyled from new, but it certainly seems to have held the old rust at bay to which my MOT's for the last 7 years will attest with no advisories. Would I have another Ford - you bet!

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
In my experience all the large vans are a bit rubbish considering the number of years the manufacturers have to get them right. They still rust, break down and are expensive to repair.

I did like the new transit and I would have another no problem. It didn't break down but we only had it a very short time. I did worry about the injectors as I had a ford car with tjhe same engine and it was absolutely rubbish spent more time in limp mode than running properly. Put me right off. Jonno1103 assures us it's a different engine now.

Just to update previous posts. The auto Fiat now has a 9 speed torque convertor gearbox.

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Just to update previous posts. The auto Fiat now has a 9 speed torque convertor gearbox
That it does gpat. Average cost is £3450. The Ford auto box is £1740.

If You want a Fiat engine upgrade to 160 and an auto box your looking at an extra £4470+

If you want to upgrade the Ford to 170, giving it more pull that Fiat's 180 and the gearbox you're looking at £2940.

Weight difference with Fords only alters when the cab air con is added, it's about 15 kg, the one we have came with an underslung spare wheel fitted at the factory and I know Trigano have the chassis cabs weighed prior to conversion and work up from that.

Give or take 2 kg a fully loaded Ford chassis cab inc underslung spare weighs 80kg less than the equivalent Sevel chassis cab.

Ford's new chassis coupled with their new ecoblue engine and available options is a bit of a game changer really.

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Had our Ford Mk 8 for 4 years. Came with 2 year breakdown civer. However ours is Serviced by local Ford agent who continue to provide the Ford Assist. Breakdown ( not accident ) cover , european wide.
have heard that not all ford agents provide this .

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
My camper is on the Ford chassis

Rear wheel drive, 220 amp alternator V10 engine

what‘s not to like?

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
We have the new facelift Ford.

The new ecoblue engine is far superior to the PSA /Ford Puma it has replaced which in itself is a high benchmark to surpass.
How is it superior? We get far more problems with the Ford than Fiat and Peugeot.
You also mentioned Bailey use the Puma engine. Your wrong. The puma engine was a 2.3 litre, Adamo which is the only Ford Bailey sell is a 2.0 160 BHP engine.
The Puma engines where phased out with Euro 5 became Euro 6.

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Give or take 2 kg a fully loaded Ford chassis cab inc underslung spare weighs 80kg less than the equivalent Sevel chassis cab.

Ford's new chassis coupled with their new ecoblue engine and available options is a bit of a game changer really.

Sure there was a post on here with someone who bought a new moho on a transit chassis and had to return it after he told the dealer he towed a car and was told he couldn't add a towbar let alone uprate it, can't see that being a game changer rather a step backwards but everyone to there own.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Hi all
Just wanted to know has any subscribers own or did own a Ford based Motorhome
I’m in the middle of trying to find out
The reliability of the Ford engine v Fiat one
And also is there any need to upgrade from the standard Ford engine of 2.0litre 130 Hp
To the 170hp when I looking at a sub 6m van for future use
Does the fuel economy really improve on a smaller van or is it just slightly quicker on acceleration
Any thoughts would be appreciated
Thanks
Steve
Ford or Fiat are both reliable, have you discounted Mercedes Citroen or others?

probably the most important thing is layout and type of van. A PVC is probably more economical to run and why 170BHP if you choose a 5.4 or 6 metre pvc? A 130 BHP would be more than sufficient and probably give better mpg.

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
Ford or Fiat are both reliable, have you discounted Mercedes Citroen or others?

probably the most important thing is layout and type of van. A PVC is probably more economical to run and why 170BHP if you choose a 5.4 or 6 metre pvc? A 130 BHP would be more than sufficient and probably give better mpg.
But 170bhp puts a bigger smile on your face. That's why I ordered a 6mtr Iveco PVC with a 3L 170 Bhp 8 speed full auto. Fuel consumption doesn't come into it but will probably be better with more power.

Sep 9, 2020
Deepest Lancashire
Funster No
MH
One day hopefully
We are looking to buy our first motorhome and thanks to covid have done a fair chunk of research.
One of the M/H's we looked at was the Chauson 650 with a Ford 170 bhp engine. This was dismissed on the basis of payload.
The Chauson is plated at 3500kg. I enquired if it could be plated up and was told no and that all the present Ford based chassis's being used for Chauson, Benimar, Bailey, and I think the dealer mentioned others cannot be up plated.
Was he right?

Gixer

Free Member
Dec 16, 2018
South Wales
Funster No
MH
2018 Chausson EB
Exp
None
We are looking to buy our first motorhome and thanks to covid have done a fair chunk of research.
One of the M/H's we looked at was the Chauson 650 with a Ford 170 bhp engine. This was dismissed on the basis of payload.
The Chauson is plated at 3500kg. I enquired if it could be plated up and was told no and that all the present Ford based chassis's being used for Chauson, Benimar, Bailey, and I think the dealer mentioned others cannot be up plated.
Was he right?
I have a 2018 Chausson 628 [170hp] and it was up plated by SV Tech - no probs, just a paper exercise

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
But 170bhp puts a bigger smile on your face. That's why I ordered a 6mtr Iveco PVC with a 3L 170 Bhp 8 speed full auto. Fuel consumption doesn't come into it but will probably be better with more power.
That's why I prefer the V10 Ford Triton engine (y)

305 bhp puts an even bigger smile on your face:happy:

Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
They will all break at one time or another, my neighbour repairs vans and the like for a living, he says the ducato is more reliable than the ford as he sees less of them in for repair, he has done the same job for 30 odd years so i would like to think he knows, he doesn't motorhome, and says he does not like the fiat, but still says they seem to him anyway more reliable.
He also says the new 9 speed auto from fiat is a peach.......

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
How is it superior? We get far more problems with the Ford than Fiat and Peugeot.
You also mentioned Bailey use the Puma engine. Your wrong. The puma engine was a 2.3 litre, Adamo which is the only Ford Bailey sell is a 2.0 160 BHP engine.
The Puma engines where phased out with Euro 5 became Euro 6.
You could be right about it not being a Puma engine, it was never made as a 160ps. The only 2.0L 160 ps engine built was PSA's DW10 which was fitted to the Ford Mondeo until 2010.

None of the power plants ever came as a 2.3L, just 2.0 or 2.2.

All three engines, the Puma, PSA DW10, DW12 & DW12A are still in production and 2.0L Puma's are still fitted to Boxers & Ducato's.

Thing is Simon,

The Panther Ecoblue engine isn't produced in 160 ps... anywhere. The 130 ps & 170 ps is for none U.S. market Transits and is the only engine variant available in this Transit model in the European marketplace. Even the 130ps Hybrid is a Panther Ecoblue.

Look anywhere you like, you'll not find an up to date production line Transit with a 2.0L 160 ps engine.

Sep 9, 2020
Deepest Lancashire
Funster No
MH
One day hopefully
Look anywhere you like, you'll not find an up to date production line Transit with a 2.0L 160 ps engine.

Begs the question - Where do Bailey source the described Ford 2.0l 160 bhp's as fitted to the Adamo range?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back