Ford Durotorq 2.2L question (1 Viewer)

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We have a new campervan, well new to us (2009 reg) and the engine is a thing of joy compared to the old bus. It romps up hills and despite pulling a much heavier load it seems to be returning >30 mpg (according to the computer). Of course, this is probably lying. ;-)

Anyhow, on our first trip away, we got stuck behind a bl**dy campervan and when an opportunity to overtake arrived, it was a long straight hill. I gave it the beans and it sailed gloriously past, at which point a red warning light lit on the dash and "Engine malfunction" appeared on the display.

We pulled over, turned the engine off and checked the oil level (which is about the limit of what I feel competent to do on a modern diesel these days). Oil was perhaps a wee bit high (just had a service) but engine temperature was fine. On restarting the warning had gone and never repeated over the next 250 miles.

So, do I rush off to a garage to get the codes read (if possible) or is this just "one of those things" that happens occasionally with modern diesels when you demand full power for any length of time?

Tim

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if it happens again, get it to the garage to read the fault code. i would guess fuel line over pressure but could be a few things. as you know, its now all controlled by a computer and the extra strain of accelerating may in the old days of just caused a puff of smoke. these days the sensors in the system will see that as a fault

just enjoy the van and make sure its regularly serviced so you have many happy miles with it.

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
I had a Transit and lights came on at random. I'd be inclined to leave it until the next service. Sounds to me you'd be aware of any major malfunction.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back