For those he use Glencaple quay Aire near Dumfries. (1 Viewer)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
As some of you will be aware they have a small community Aire style parking area for MH's in the village of Glencaple, about a year ago the Cafe went on fire so has been closed for a while. They are reopening it in the next week or so and have posted regarding MH parking.

30742770_10156245085479257_1452759218854559744_n.jpg

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
thanks Gerry, hope the locals don't get overly upset at overnight use outside of the 5 spaces they show, I have used it twice now, last time there were 8 funsters parked up, plus a couple of others but only out of hours so no conflict to café and we all used the pub

Great facility though, just hope the parking isn't overly enforced

and BTW you appear to be parked facing the wrong direction :LOL:

have you used the castle option mentioned? is that by the water as well? no pub, but should be nice and quiet down there :)(y)

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
thanks Gerry, hope the locals don't get overly upset at overnight use outside of the 5 spaces they show, I have used it twice now, last time there were 8 funsters parked up, plus a couple of others but only out of hours so no conflict to café and we all used the pub

Great facility though, just hope the parking isn't overly enforced

and BTW you appear to be parked facing the wrong direction :LOL:

have you used the castle option mentioned? is that by the water as well? no pub, but should be nice and quiet down there :)(y)

Thats not my van David :)

I think if everyone is sensible there wont be an issue as the village is very MH friendly, I haven't personally used the one at the corner. It doesn't have a view of the water although its only yards from it. The estate originally opened it as a CL style site and after a couple of years decided it would be less hassle to let folk stay for free with an honesty box, if anyone does stay there its a very flat quiet road to cycle to the pub, might need a life jacket on the way back as the road runs along the river bank :). They have a few lovely walks from the corner site including the castle and wetland centre

https://www.historicenvironment.scot/visit-a-place/places/caerlaverock-castle/
https://www.wwt.org.uk/wetland-centres/caerlaverock/

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Update on MH parking and the cafe, according to a work mate the council have tarred some lay-bys between Glencaple and Caerlavrock and marked them up for MHs. I'll pop down next week and check and inform what I find.

The Boathouse cafe opened on Tuesday and so far I've only heard good reviews.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
What a wonderfully enlightened attitude (the aire, not the football!). Let's just hope no eejits spoil it by being inconsiderate.

Try and set that up anywhere in England and watch the mass protests out of fear of a traveller invasion!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I'd class them as my second team, I'm a Glasgow boy so support Celtic.
Maybe he knew your roots and meant Queens Park?:p:giggle:
Still remember the fire at Palmerston when the original stand burnt doon.:(
Also HRM and King Olav of Norway landing there in a helicopter. School weans bussed there wi their flags. All to do with Dumfries being the base for the Norwegian Army in exile during the war.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Maybe he knew your roots and meant Queens Park?:p:giggle:
Still remember the fire at Palmerston when the original stand burnt doon.:(
Also HRM and King Olav of Norway landing there in a helicopter. School weans bussed there wi their flags. All to do with Dumfries being the base for the Norwegian Army in exile during the war.

The town still has a strong link with Norway, a few Norwiegn soldiers are buried here and a few stayed on after the war.

Ironside

Free Member
Sep 17, 2016
Warwick
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano 695G
Exp
Since 2016
We stayed there last year and enjoyed the coastline immensely, nice people and a good pub across the road.
Did have some young idiots doing donuts in the car park at 2am though letting fireworks off:mad:

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
We are heading that way on a Thursday and hope to spend the night there. Breakfast in the cafe would be great if it opens early enough!!

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We are heading that way on a Thursday and hope to spend the night there. Breakfast in the cafe would be great if it opens early enough!!

The shop opens at 8am and the kitchen opens at 10am so you can have a wee lie in then breakfast.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back