• These Classified Forums are now archived, so you cannot add to or edit them. Our New Classified System can be Found Here 

• These Classified Forums are now archived, so you cannot add to or edit them. Our New Classified System can be Found Here 

FOR SALE - Swift Kontiki 645 with Fiat 2.8JTD engine, Manual with Cruise Control (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
I just find it strange that you posted a rather lecturing thread about the dangers of being overweight yet you didn’t appear to understand earlier in this thread the calculation showing you only have 57 kg. That’s 57kg before your bike rack, awning, tow bar, etc.
I think I did after the last two weeks hence the openness, I am not lecturing anyone just sharing what I learned, from replies it seems others are learning as well. I think you will find the report from SVTech covers all the points I learned and gives a new owner the option, at the end of the day it is a paper exercise there are NO safety issues involved, and as everything is so disjointed and complicated hopefully others are learning, so some good has come out of it (y)

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I think I did after the last two weeks hence the openness, I am not lecturing anyone just sharing what I learned, from replies it seems others are learning as well. I think you will find the report from SVTech covers all the points I learned and gives a new owner the option, at the end of the day it is a paper exercise there are NO safety issues involved, and as everything is so disjointed and complicated hopefully others are learning, so some good has come out of it (y)

You queried the calculation this afternoon so after the ‘two weeks’ of enlightenment. :)

Anyway, I hope you have your calculations correct for your new vehicle.

By the way, using uppercase in your posts does appear a bit shouty. This gave me the me the feeling of being lectured to in your posts.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
If you’ve had the vehicle for 9 years then I guess for all of that time you’ve been driving overweight.

I suspect a lot of us have done that and quite a few still are. :D :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Having been stopped and weighed by the police I’m mindful to ensure that I don’t drive over weight

OP
OP

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
I have a motorhome for one reason and that is to drive to the South of France every year for 6 weeks, I get in it and drive straight down, we are out all day, eat out and just sleep in its at night, I then drive straight home. In truth I am probably a fraud motorhomer as I don't go anywhere else, all we need is some shorts swimming trunks and a coleman shelter, job done, BUT now the grandkids want to come its a different kettle of fish, we have their weight (not much) plus their clothing e.t.c.
You queried the calculation this afternoon so after the ‘two weeks’ of enlightenment. :)

Anyway, I hope you have your calculations correct for your new vehicle.

By the way, using uppercase in your posts does appear a bit shouty. This gave me the me the feeling of being lectured to in your posts.
My calculations are VERY correct for my new motorhome, well over in fact.

My use of capital letters is to reinforce the points I found out that caused me to possibly to be overweight at some point due to the 'down plating' of my vehicle, when I bought it I had no idea but have made it crystal clear and in block capital letters in my heads up for sale post, it was done for a reason, maybe to get into French villages, drive at age 70 or over without a medical, drive without needing a C1 licence, I don't know, what I do know is that I am not over 70, I DO have a C1 licence and I don't go through small French villages so makes no difference to me apart from complying with the law.

As soon as I realised I bought a new van as you know and will be selling the older one with options to upgrade the plated weight. As you also know I started a weight and payload thread in order to bring my situation to the attention of others who may also be in the same situation, what I don't understand is that some members on here who clearly know about these things are attempting to criticise me when in fact if they had the knowledge should have warned people a lot earlier. I have a clear conscience, I am spending £70k to put things right which is more than any fine I could have had for going over one plated limit but still within another plated limit both attached to my van. NO SAFETY ISSUE has been compromised in my sheer ignorance of weight laws and stupidity, trust me it will never happen to me again!

I HOPE THAT CLEARS THINGS UP :giggle:

Oh and by the way I blame some dealers for not being more open and honest about these issues (y)

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I’m not criticising you - you can post whatever you like... I just found it funny that after your weight and payload thread you still weren’t able to work out your own payload! :D

OP
OP

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
I’m not criticising you - you can post whatever you like... I just found it funny that after your weight and payload thread you still weren’t able to work out your own payload! :D
I didn’t think it was funny actually, I am no expert, only learning, so glad you found it hilarious! It just goes to show how many variations there could be, I have 2 plates on mine with different weights so in one way I am right as that is the van leaving the factory weight limit which I never exceeded, but on the other hand the down plating caused the confusion. Anyway all sorted now (y)

Maybe less trying to score points and doing more to help others on here would be a good start, you seem to know your stuff, why not help others rather than laugh at them, but then that is the way a lot of the industry seems to be, work it out for yourself, buyer beware mentality :rolleyes:

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Maybe less trying to score points and doing more to help others on here would be a good start, you seem to know your stuff, why not help others rather than laugh at them, but then that is the way a lot of the industry seems to be, work it out for yourself, buyer beware mentality :rolleyes:

I’m not laughing at anyone... I found your earlier posts funny... especially the bit about the calculator! Perhaps that was being unkind - I don’t know.

I do think though that you seem to be under the impression that everyone is in need of education, whether they ask for it or not.

I totally understand that you didn’t know about the existence of weighbridges and how to calculate your payload. It’s obviously been a bit of a revelation for you. That’s fine but from your posts you seem think that everyone is at the same level of understanding as yourself ... from what I’ve read here over a couple of years, I’d say they’re not.

You ask why I don’t try to help others.... if someone asks for help on a subject I know about I’d offer suggestions which may be of help, as do most folk on this forum.

OP
OP

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
I’m not laughing at anyone... I found your earlier posts funny... especially the bit about the calculator! Perhaps that was being unkind - I don’t know.

I do think though that you seem to be under the impression that everyone is in need of education, whether they ask for it or not.

I totally understand that you didn’t know about the existence of weighbridges and how to calculate your payload. It’s obviously been a bit of a revelation for you. That’s fine but from your posts you seem think that everyone is at the same level of understanding as yourself ... from what I’ve read here over a couple of years, I’d say they’re not.

You ask why I don’t try to help others.... if someone asks for help on a subject I know about I’d offer suggestions which may be of help, as do most folk on this forum.
Maybe a knowledge database on the forum would be a good idea, when I search for something I just end up with a selection of posts and it takes time to work out what is in them that relates to the subject. If there was a dedicated thread on weight then I would not have to have started one, it seems its the same old thing over and over again with motorhomes so why not harness the information and put it into a forum database? it would certainly help summer motorhomes like me who really get in and drive and have no clue about certain things although I do my best to find out (y)

Anyway I accept your apology lets move on, you may be useful to me in the future :D2

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Personal experience & individual knowledge is far more flexible & valuable than a database which is usually out of date as soon as it is compiled - even if someone [who?] takes on the task of keeping it updated IMO.

The forum is the database.

OP
OP

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
It wasn’t an apology.

I doubt very much that I will be of any use to you either now or in the future as I don’t like being used.
No problem I will leave you in your corner with all the others than know everything and don't need help and wait to jump on anyone that dare try and help others, or see a chance to have a go at someone.

There seem to be a lot of nice people on the forum, I don't have time for negative or bitchy people, so please ignore any more of my threads or posts and will do the same with yours (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back