• These Classified Forums are now archived, so you cannot add to or edit them. Our New Classified System can be Found Here 

• These Classified Forums are now archived, so you cannot add to or edit them. Our New Classified System can be Found Here 

AUCTION For Sale ‘A’ Frame (1 Viewer)

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Car A Tow A Frame 2013, good condition £145. This frame would cost £760 new !

959BAEB0-1B04-4A6E-BF94-2E99B9CA564A.jpegE5223A29-E1F8-457B-9A54-C55D8295DF08.jpeg899B54E8-3D75-4C0A-95A0-7826FB0FA961.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
Do you know what car it was used on? or are A frames universal and just the car end that differs

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Do you know what car it was used on? or are A frames universal and just the car end that differs
The A frame fits all. The bit that goes on the car is another thing.
Good price for that though! (y);)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
Thanks, got a Smart car or a Panda we could tow. Just working out what else would be needed and costs involved

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Beg to differ, (For the record) eye spacing is not standard, it is rare to get one manufacturers A frame to fit an other manufacturers vehicle mount.
The A frame on offer is very good value and a very popular make.
Finding a Car A Tow vehicle mount to suite will be among the easiest.

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Beg to differ, (For the record) eye spacing is not standard, it is rare to get one manufacturers A frame to fit an other manufacturers vehicle mount.
The A frame on offer is very good value and a very popular make.
Finding a Car A Tow vehicle mount to suite will be among the easiest.
Geo....Car a tow fit a Universal A frame. It does not have any thing to stop it fitting a car like a smart or a Jeep . It comes down to the bit on the front. Car a tow will charge a fortune for a Pull bar for what ever car it is. Its designed by them for all cars. That said.......they monopolise on the bit that fits the cars it has to go on to!

Kev ;) (y)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Thanks, got a Smart car or a Panda we could tow. Just working out what else would be needed and costs involved
You would need to find Tow A Car smart car vehicle mount or Panda mount (or Both) for your cars, (Circa £150 second hand) both are also very popular, simple spanner and a weekend DIY job. snap it up while you can

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Geo....Car a tow fit a Universal A frame. It does not have any thing to stop it fitting a car like a smart or a Jeep . It comes down to the bit on the front. Car a tow will charge a fortune for a Pull bar for what ever car it is. Its designed by them for all cars. That said.......the monopolise on th ebit that fits the cars it has to go on to!

Kev ;) (y)
I fit A frames for a living up to retirement,
No such thing as a Universal A Frame even vehicle mounting methods will differ from manf to manf
Some use long pins 22" to 24" some use two short pins spacing differs ,some use flat plate with pins some use Rose joints

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Just be careful which Smart it is. Some of the automatic gearboxes don't allow towing. There is a lot of info on this elsewhere on the forum

OP
OP
canopus

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Sorry, I part exed the Seat Mii yesterday.

WestiesOnTour

Free Member
Apr 5, 2020
Nuneaton
Funster No
MH
RV safari cheetah 38
Exp
RVing 11 years and caraving/motorhoming all my life.
I also fitted a a frame myself, really easy this is the second one I have fitted.

And there part you are looking for is a chassis bracket.

Last edited:

WestiesOnTour

Free Member
Apr 5, 2020
Nuneaton
Funster No
MH
RV safari cheetah 38
Exp
Hi,
Have a look at my post #13.
Really easy this is my 2and a frame I have fitted.
Jason.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I fit A frames for a living up to retirement,
No such thing as a Universal A Frame even vehicle mounting methods will differ from manf to manf
Some use long pins 22" to 24" some use two short pins spacing differs ,some use flat plate with pins some use Rose joints
Whats meant is the A frame will fit ANY car with the correct mount on the car.
The frame isn't specific to one make or model car but the mounting system is.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Ok John fit your universal A frame as per add to my car please
Universal A frame to my Chris cox vehicle bracket Made for my car, You Can't the pins are to short Ie look up definition of "Universal ie fits owt
s-l1600 (8).jpg

959BAEB0-1B04-4A6E-BF94-2E99B9CA564A.jpeg

My Vehicle Bracket (Chris Cox)

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
Can you do the work yourself?
If so..................You will save £700!
A smart car fitted with a car a tow system is approx £850

Kev...............Trust me...done it!
Should be able to, mechanic by trade so can't see it being a problem if the info is avail.

Our smart is a 2009 with the semi auto box, no full auto mode. So basically a manual with an automated gearchange to should be towable, will do some searching to make sure. Failing that have a 2013 Panda.

Thanks for the input folks, sounds straight forward enough. If we already had a towbar on the MH I'd snap it up but need to look into costs for fitting that first or could end up with a boat anchor.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Ok John fit your universal A frame as per add to my car please
Universal A frame to my Chris cox vehicle bracket Made for my car, You Can't the pins are to short Ie look up definition of "Universal ie fits owt View attachment 396962
View attachment 396961

My Vehicle Bracket (Chris Cox)
You still misunderstand Geo, the A frame by Cox is universal to Cox...they don't have a different specific frame for different cars only the bracketry is different
If you have a Ford ka and a Cox frame the same frame will fit a smart car IF you use Cox brackets for the smart.
I don't mean the frame is universal across all makes.... Just the frame maker.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Should be able to, mechanic by trade so can't see it being a problem if the info is avail.

Our smart is a 2009 with the semi auto box, no full auto mode. So basically a manual with an automated gearchange to should be towable, will do some searching to make sure. Failing that have a 2013 Panda.

Thanks for the input folks, sounds straight forward enough. If we already had a towbar on the MH I'd snap it up but need to look into costs for fitting that first or could end up with a boat anchor.
a boat anchor that you could sell if not used to get your money back if you don't use it. They don't come up used that often and there is always somebody wants one. A big saving on the new price

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You still misunderstand Geo, the A frame by Cox is universal to Cox...they don't have a different specific frame for different cars only the bracketry is different
If you have a Ford ka and a Cox frame the same frame will fit a smart car IF you use Cox brackets for the smart.
I don't mean the frame is universal across all makes.... Just the frame maker.
Funniest post this year you have your nickers in a twist and a total misunderstanding of the word Universal
Isn't that EXACTLY what i said in post No 9, He would need a Tow A Car Bracket to go with the Tow A Car A frame ergo the actual A frame is not universal, it is specific to Tow A Car if it were universal it would fit any bracket, regardless of manufacturer.
If you want to know anything electrical give me a shout (y)

OP
OP
canopus

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Geo - the make of the A frame is CAR A TOW. Keep up old chap and put your knickers on with the fly hole at the front, not the back. :p

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Geo - the make of the A frame is CAR A TOW. Keep up old chap and put your knickers on with the fly hole at the front, not the back. :p
This is a wind up init you both cant be that thick.i know it is a CarATow I commented on the make saying it was very popular make that's why I said he
needs a CarA Tow vehicle
bracket. It was you who said it was Universal and I repeat it is Not. There is no such animal
I least I wear underpants unlike you pair of rednecks

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Funniest post this year you have your nickers in a twist and a total misunderstanding of the word Universal
Isn't that EXACTLY what i said in post No 9, He would need a Tow A Car Bracket to go with the Tow A Car A frame ergo the actual A frame is not universal, it is specific to Tow A Car if it were universal it would fit any bracket, regardless of manufacturer.
If you want to know anything electrical give me a shout (y)
Your still missing it Geo. The frame will fit any CAR, or even a London bus, with the correct brackets therefore the A FRAME is universal but the brackets ARE NOT.

WestiesOnTour

Free Member
Apr 5, 2020
Nuneaton
Funster No
MH
RV safari cheetah 38
Exp
Your still missing it Geo. The frame will fit any CAR, or even a London bus, with the correct brackets therefore the A FRAME is universal but the brackets ARE NOT.
I think thay are getting there now.

Just for ref, I have just fitted a Armitage chassis bracket to a fiat 500 and my a frame is also Armitage a frame.

Jason.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back