Fool proof recipe for roast chicken......WARNING you may find this amusing. (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Mrsambulancekidd
May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
On a serious note. I really hope it's not raining on Christmas day as I'm going to have to cook the chicken in the bbq so the one shelf in the van oven is free for spuds and pigs in blankets. Think I'm going to Spatchcock it so it cooks quicker.

I've not done a Christmas dinner in the van before so it will be interesting!
As it takes longer you could start it in the oven, hope it all works out and you enjoy your Christmas dinner.
We have a turkey crown in the freezer, no so much bulk and I can get the roasties in around it, but I am cooking ours at home.

TinaL I just ordered one of those, no foil needed with that. :xThumb:

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
On a serious note. I really hope it's not raining on Christmas day as I'm going to have to cook the chicken in the bbq so the one shelf in the van oven is free for spuds and pigs in blankets. Think I'm going to Spatchcock it so it cooks quicker.

I've not done a Christmas dinner in the van before so it will be interesting!
We have cooked a chicken, roast potatoes and roast carrots and parsnips in a one shelf oven. Placed the grid from the grill pan on the floor of the oven for the chicken, with veg in foil dishes on the shelf above. Always get an Aldi cook in bag chicken, which comes in its own foil tray.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
We wont be cooking Xmas lunch in the van this year, which will be sadly missed:crying:
If on hook up we would use The Remoska oven to do the turkey roast, then set it to rest whilst doing the roasties and Yorkshire Puddings(y) Yes I do home made batter mix Yorkshires with every roast dinner, wouldn't be a proper job without them. None of yer Aunt Bessies round here:p
I like those Roast In the bag chickens, as they are already seasoned, and cook nice & brown etc, however I defy anyone to open that bag without burning your fingers or spilling fat all down your front!, certainly dont wear crocs!

If we were not on hook up, I guess I would use the Webber gas BBQ for the Turkey & roast Pots, the van oven for keeping stuff warm, and the steamer for the veg.
LES
PS: No I dont wear Crocs:eek:
Here's a dinner I made a couple of years back at Bristol Wharf CMC Site.
No Yorkshire puds were injured in the making of this dinner, however they were stuck to the lid of The Remoska Oven, lesson learned always use a Cartouche (thats a round bit of greased proof paper to you & me) inside the lid of the oven to prevent it sticking.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• IMG_1397.JPG
    IMG_1397.JPG
    180.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1401.JPG
    IMG_1401.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Sorry Nirvanauk, I had no idea that was a picture of your oven, please forgive the misunderstanding, But I did manage to get one of these to impress your guests, hopefully I will be forgiven now. (y)
LES
1608123010075.png

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Sorry Nirvanauk, I had no idea that was a picture of your oven, please forgive the misunderstanding, But I did manage to get one of these to impress your guests, hopefully I will be forgiven now. (y)
LES
View attachment 449021
Ha ha! No problem, it’s actually a 70 year old AGA that was converted from a log burner to oil many years ago, so she has had a long and hard life.👍

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
We wont be cooking Xmas lunch in the van this year, which will be sadly missed:crying:
If on hook up we would use The Remoska oven to do the turkey roast, then set it to rest whilst doing the roasties and Yorkshire Puddings(y) Yes I do home made batter mix Yorkshires with every roast dinner, wouldn't be a proper job without them. None of yer Aunt Bessies round here:p
I like those Roast In the bag chickens, as they are already seasoned, and cook nice & brown etc, however I defy anyone to open that bag without burning your fingers or spilling fat all down your front!, certainly dont wear crocs!

If we were not on hook up, I guess I would use the Webber gas BBQ for the Turkey & roast Pots, the van oven for keeping stuff warm, and the steamer for the veg.
LES
PS: No I dont wear Crocs:eek:
Here's a dinner I made a couple of years back at Bristol Wharf CMC Site.
No Yorkshire puds were injured in the making of this dinner, however they were stuck to the lid of The Remoska Oven, lesson learned always use a Cartouche (thats a round bit of greased proof paper to you & me) inside the lid of the oven to prevent it sticking.
More sprouts please Les??? I adore em :xThumb:

OP
OP
Mrsambulancekidd
May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
Ha ha! No problem, it’s actually a 70 year old AGA that was converted from a log burner to oil many years ago, so she has had a long and hard life.👍
Oh I know what you mean, I had a solid fuel Rayburn I called Anna when I first moved to Wales and she was pretty elderly, but I managed.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
More sprouts please Les??? I adore em :xThumb:
Yea No problem Robert, we love em too, those were picked from TinaL's allotment.
I always get the Mature Stilton, maybe some Stinking Bishop out to let it breath, by early evening, then I dont get expelled to stand outside so much.:xlaugh:
LES

OP
OP
Mrsambulancekidd
May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
Yea No problem Robert, we love em too, those were picked from TinaL's allotment.
I always get the Mature Stilton, maybe some Stinking Bishop out to let it breath, by early evening, then I dont get expelled to stand outside so much.:xlaugh:
LES
He loves them but I don't love the result that his :moon2: produces, mind you I can compete, so brace yourself Robert.:xThumb:

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
LES
When I worked in Ayr station, I loved cheese sarnies, I always loved the cheese which made colleagues gag when I opened my tupperware box!!!o_O:sick:::bigsmile:

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
We have cooked a chicken, roast potatoes and roast carrots and parsnips in a one shelf oven. Placed the grid from the grill pan on the floor of the oven for the chicken, with veg in foil dishes on the shelf above. Always get an Aldi cook in bag chicken, which comes in its own foil tray.
Ah we don't have a grill pan, left it at home or an Aldi! Will get a pretty big free range chicken so there's plenty for boxing day left overs. Duck fat potatoes in the roasting tray, again lots! Pigs in blankets and stuffing I'll do earlier in the day and then yorkies at the end with potatoes keeping warm on the bottom of the oven. Also going to make bread sauce and Jamie's Christmas crumble on Christmas eve. Hopefully that will be enough food for 2 people for 2 days 😂

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Roast venison, goose fat roasted potatoes, honey roasted carrots & parsnips and red cabbage and apple for us. It is rather a flat piece of venison so think we will roll and stuff it. Any ideas anyone for the stuffing. No pudding; Stilton for him, Wensleydale with cranberries for me. Bit of everything for the dog!

OP
OP
Mrsambulancekidd
May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
Roast venison, goose fat roasted potatoes, honey roasted carrots & parsnips and red cabbage and apple for us. It is rather a flat piece of venison so think we will roll and stuff it. Any ideas anyone for the stuffing. No pudding; Stilton for him, Wensleydale with cranberries for me. Bit of everything for the dog!
I would use whatever took your fancy & maybe a red wine gravy/sauce.

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Dried cranberries and walnuts, rosemary?

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Do you reckon that a dirty oven like that saves on having to pre-marinade the chicken overnight , and add a Smokey taste overall?
I hate cleaning ovens, takes me all day, need a few beers to aid me in the task, and only feels like 5 minute since I did it last time. :unsure:
Lesson learned, I do all my roasts in an enamelled Dutch Oven, then that's the only bit that needs cleaning each time, one similar to this one, its much lighter that the Le Creuset cast iron set we have also, wouldn't be without now.(had it 30 years or more, still like new)
Sorry for the slight thread drift, it was the dirty oven that did it.!
LES

Cheers been looking for a 20th wedding anaversairy gift.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I've just found this recipe and thought it might be useful.... You could easily substitute turkey for chicken!

EASY CHICKEN RECIPE
When I found this recipe, I thought it was perfect for people like me, who are not sure how to tell when poultry is thoroughly cooked, but not dried out. Give this a try.
1 chicken
1 cup melted butter
1 cup stuffing
1 cup uncooked popcorn
Salt/pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
Brush chicken well with melted butter salt and pepper.
Fill cavity with stuffing mixed with popcorn.
Place in baking pan with the neck end toward the back of the oven.
Listen for the popping sounds.
When the chicken's arse blows the oven door open and the chicken flies across the room and lands on the table, it's done and ready to eat!
And you thought I couldn't cook .....
Should you kill the chicken first? 😉

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Try putting a raw egg into the microwave oven! Then you will “blow the bloody doors off” and wonder just how much there is to an egg.
Phil
Prick ...

the pointy end of the egg first and it won't! :giggle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back