Food... (1 Viewer)

Sep 5, 2010
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Always - off and on
How much do you keep in the camper/motorhome/van. I make extra and freeze before we go away, also put odd tins in too never take out what we don't use just add more - always have too much, either because we eat out more than planned or overestimate our appetites or the number of meals we eat.
We went to Stonehaven over the weekend, lovely walks around the town, a visit to the museum, well worth a visit, even if just for the banter. Very icy cold wind but very enjoyable.
Arrived home yesterday and since most have been in all year I decided to take out the tins, jars, bottles etc just in case of any frost damage (don't want anything to burst) It took two very large carrier bags and two bottle bags to take it inside.
So now some will go to a food bank and we will eat our way through the rest.
How much do you take away?

Pat

Apr 29, 2014
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Chieftain
Exp
Since 2004
Think we are the same actually counted 49 cans of food and always a case of you never know if we find ourselves in the middle of nowhere but always try and find a pub so what is wrong with us

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
It depends on where we are going and what we are doing but usually I pack enough for a couple of days then Martin adds more :)

I do take all the food (including cans) out of the van when we get home.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Think we are the same actually counted 49 cans of food and always a case of you never know if we find ourselves in the middle of nowhere but always try and find a pub so what is wrong with us
49 cans must make inroads into your payload :eek:!
Edit:
Ok so about 25kg not so so big a dent - but that's 48 cans of beer or 2 cases of wine you're lugging around & not using

...are my priorities skewed :whistle:?

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If you are super organised you can print out some recipes in advance and make up the spice / seasoning packages (I number the recipe and the correct spice baggie so I know which goes with which). That way I can buy local but have an idea of what we will eat. The recipes are more inspiration than things to be followed to the latter as I am more of an "add a glug or handful" type of cook than measuring an exact amount of anything.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
Strange that, I thought I might take a whole chicken away with us, so I asked the woman at the checkout "how long can I keep a chicken in the freezer for"? She said "about a month"........... I said, "that's funny, I put one in last night and the bloody thing was dead this morning"......:rolleyes:

OP
OP
Cinderz
Sep 5, 2010
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Always - off and on
I was a wee bit scared to count but don't think I had more than about 3 dozen cans and packets. We also buy fresh and cook - probably why we bring so much back - early New Year's Resolution remove food when we get home. I always remove the fresh and frozen but leave the rest.
The one thing I often forget to take out is the potatoes.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We keep the bare minimum on the off chance we can't find a restaurant, supermarket or petrol station.

I think at the moment it's 2 tins of Confit Duck & Cassoulet from Carrefour.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
We take quite a lot of tinned and dried, then bring it all back home again 3 months later :rolleyes:
We like to think we could survive a week or more without coming across a shop of any type, but so far we've always managed to get enough fresh food (y)
We end up using the stuff that's date-limited, eg UHT milk & Dolmio sauces, when we're at home :LOL:

OP
OP
Cinderz
Sep 5, 2010
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Always - off and on
I think we could easily survive a week without a shop - will find out this week because I'm going to use all I took out of the van before doing another shop.(y)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I once stopped SWMBO before she managed to smuggle 44kgs:eek: of food into our caravan for a cross Channel trip.
Don't know what she thought the caravan could hold.

Deleted User
In Uk very little as supermarkets are 24 hours, generally just take fridge contents and any bread, biscuits we have in.
Overseas stock up on stuff we struggle to find, Thai paste, tins of m&s curries, concentrate squash.

Lin :)
Edit, don't eat much cheese apart from haloumi no idea how it's spelt :D

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I cook and freeze a whole herd of proper Cumberland sausages and welsh dragon ones which I take out of moho feezer compartment as needed ..then buy more from local butchers as i mooch around the villages .. Also have a few tins of soup and red salmon stored ...

Last edited:
Reactions: LAM

Lynne Steele

Free Member
Feb 13, 2015
Lleyn peninsula
Funster No
MH
Majestic accordo 125
Exp
4 years
In Uk very little as supermarkets are 24 hours, generally just take fridge contents and any bread, biscuits we have in.
Overseas stock up on stuff we struggle to find, Thai paste, tins of m&s curries, concentrate squash.

Lin :)
Edit, don't eat much cheese apart from haloumi no idea how it's spelt :D

Try bacon and fried Haloumi butties, just gorgeous

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I've got a small box with regularly used herbs & spices; a couple of tins of baked beans, tomatoes & various veg. Also have a small basket with stuff like condiments, stockpots etc. If we're away in the UK we'll take bacon & eggs so we can have a fryup in the mornings but cook most meals fresh. Also take a bag of potatoes & onions.

When in France we buy food as and when needed but also keep a tin of cassoulet or confit of duck in the cupboard for a quick meal if we're not near a supermarket.

We keep the wine in "the cellar" (an outside locker).

Denise

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
just enough for the weekend for me but lots of bits and pieces for the wife as she is Coeliac and it is sometimes a bugger to get gluten free products for her. Always have some brandy and coke , just in case i need a pick me after a days driving !!

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
We were talking about this yesterday. We're in Liverpool for Easter visiting family so we may have to go and check it out
Will you let me know what you think, if you DO go please? I never know where to go when I go to Liverpool unless it's the Egg ... TY :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back