food grade hosepipe (1 Viewer)

loz

Free Member
Feb 2, 2009
Funster No
do i really need food grade hosepipe to fill up my autotrail .I have heard that normal :thumb:garden hose can contain harmfull bacteria . can someone let me know . thanks

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
You don't, but if you use a regular hose the water can taste REALLY rubbery. Whilst we don't use the water tank to drink cold water from, we do make tea with it, and without the food grade hose its horrible.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

loz

Free Member
Feb 2, 2009
Funster No
ok thanks for that jim .i thought as much . thanks for the quick repy
Posted via Mobile Device

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We don't use food grade we have 3 lengths of garden hose which make up about 120ft. We do drink the water but have fitted a filter so no problems, before the filter however the water did occasionally taste horrible.

Upvote 0

Dreamchaserrv

Free Member
Jan 31, 2008
Wherever we park
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
9 Years
Don't use the ordinary green garden hose. Use the better quality hose usually yellow on the outside but the inner sleeve is black.This will not react with the sunlight that causes the bacteria and bad taste. Then run drinking water through an on board filter.We have had no problems in 5 years using the onboard tanks.:thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I did have a 25 mt. flat roll food grade hose but it didn't last long, it's now full of pin holes.. waste of money if you ask me.. so I gave up on it and now use Hozelock garden hose, like Ror we have three lengths, total about 80 mt., not needed with a smaller van but we have used it all, saves moving the RV.. never noticed any taste.. probably because we have a Nature Pure filter.

Upvote 0

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
Hi
If you dont use food grade hose then you have to make sure you do certain things before you use it to fill the van the most important being run water through for 30 seconds (per 50m length) before filling the tank.
Its not bacteria that the problem .Its the chemicals used in PVC garden hose which can contain nasties such as cadmuim Talc, and other bits and bobs.

You may like to know that I work for Hozelock which is why i answered your post.

I am trying to persuade the powers at be here to market our food grade hose (yes we do make it) for the caravan and boating markets and as such we will have a few testers on sale at the NEC. If enough people show interest then we may market the stuff.

You will see "food grade" and "Potable" - they aint the same thing. Potable being the drinking water quality one (its all to do with euro regs etc etc blah blah- i wont bore you)

Will keep you posted.
Shout if anyone needs specific/more advice

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi
If you dont use food grade hose then you have to make sure you do certain things before you use it to fill the van the most important being run water through for 30 seconds (per 50m length) before filling the tank.
Its not bacteria that the problem .Its the chemicals used in PVC garden hose which can contain nasties such as cadmuim Talc, and other bits and bobs.

You may like to know that I work for Hozelock which is why i answered your post.

Hi

Good advice, look forward to hearing about any developments from Hozelock..

Jim

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Thanks for the Iceni:thumb: Aren't forums great:thumb:

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I bought a 20metre blue lay flat hose on a reel from Johns Cross on Friday. We couldn't actually see that it was food grade, but will only use it when we can't get near the tap. Lay flat hose isn't very durable but easy to store.:thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back