Food for Motorhome (1 Viewer)

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Scottish whole rolled oats (not the teeny weeny powdery stuff). That's all you need to survive. Used to take a bag of oats when cycle-camping. Then just needed to find some water and boil it up on the spirit stove. Still take oats these days in the van, porridge for breakfast will sustain you for hours. Add fresh fruit if available, add dried or nuts if not. Even if you run out of gas, you can soak the oats overnight and they are still edible. The ultimate emergency food -- and to think Dr. Johnson thought they were only fit for horses!

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
We are veggie and sometimes it is hard to eat out in France, van always stocked with packets of cooked chick peas/ butter beans/ kidney beans etc to make a stew curry or chilli. Take all my spices with me ( hard to find cumin and methi in France. ) We also take free range organic eggs , but apart from that eat our way round happily. Salads cheese and french bread, lots of wine does us. French supermarkets have loads of fab local to them produce, and their choice of veg is second to none. We take a couple of frozen home made meals as well and a bottle of frozen milk as well as fresh - keeps the fridge nice n cool.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 28, 2017
Leicester
Funster No
MH
None at the mo.
We are veggie and sometimes it is hard to eat out in France, van always stocked with packets of cooked chick peas/ butter beans/ kidney beans etc to make a stew curry or chilli. Take all my spices with me ( hard to find cumin and methi in France. ) We also take free range organic eggs , but apart from that eat our way round happily. Salads cheese and french bread, lots of wine does us. French supermarkets have loads of fab local to them produce, and their choice of veg is second to none. We take a couple of frozen home made meals as well and a bottle of frozen milk as well as fresh - keeps the fridge nice n cool.
No shortage of methane then ::bigsmile:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We use long life milk abroad. Its so useful to carry a dozen litres which only need to be in the fridge once opened. We only used skimmed, available everywhere though you have to search as French supermarkets seem to have a plethora of brands, as they also do with eggs, not just the choice of one you get in UK supermarkets. Fresh milk is hard to find bur we don't miss it.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Only ever seen whole milk and Demi ecreme

Denise
This was from Leclerc. They also sell it in Carrefour. Super U. Lidl. Intermarché and most Bio Supermarkets.
4C4BB969-47A8-43F9-84A2-38D642855465.jpeg

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Teabags, English mustard and marmalade (my wife's homemade). Everything else we require is available in France. Fresh vegetables and fruit are of better quality than supermarkets in the UK though some foods are more expensive, we eat more fish than red meat and fresh fish is widely available in France.

Thirty years ago when we began visiting France we did take some food with us, soon realised it was pointless.

Reactions: DBK
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
We've been caught out before by unexpected bank holidays and by shops closing early the day before a holiday so we always travel with food for at least a day or two. There's usually at least a bit of protein (cured meats or cheese) in the fridge which can be combined with stuff from the storecupboard to put a meal together.

In the cupboard we always carry a large tin of cassoulet, a bake at home baguette, dried rice and pasta and a few packets of soup, plus a reasonably well stocked herb & spice drawer. Most of it wasn't bought in the UK though - I find the choice of food in supermarkets abroad is much better even for convenience foods so we usually do a quick shop at Carrefour on arrival, and if we consume any of our backup foods we just replace them with something suitable from wherever we happen to be.....I think our current backup food supplies mostly come from France, Germany and Hungary.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Everywhere I've been - Berlin, Cadiz, Dublin, everywhere in between - there's always a Lidl. OK, they're a bit thin on the ground south of Marrakesh, but apart from that...

Edit: Sorry GerTee already said this, missed that post.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017
York, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Almost approaching average
Set off with full fridge and cupboards. Eat merrily. Buy more french stuff along the way which we can’t get here. Return home with full fridge and carry the lot up four flights of stairs.
Blimey I’m hopeless I’ve just realised! We’re never short of food choices though?

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
We’re in Germany just now. We knew we wouldn’t get to a shop on Saturday and that the shops shut Sunday so made sure we had milk, bread, and a couple of meals. In terms of staples we always have salt, pepper, herbs, spices, tea and coffee in but we brought boil in the bag rice, couscous, a tin of tuna, cereal (we prefer high fibre, low sugar) and oatcakes. Oh and a loaf of homemade whole meal rye and apricot bread I put in the freezer and a box or organic eggs.

Today we went shopping and bought chanterelle mushrooms, yellow courgettes and German wine and beer. Yum!

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Gravy granules are like hens teeth! Only found some in Iceland near Guardamar in Spain - twice the price, but we’d been away for a year so I jumped on them! I know I can make gravy with stock cubes & thickener, but I likes Bisto! ?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We take at least a couple of meals worth of emergency rations as we both need to be gluten-free and it isn't always available either in the UK or abroad (although is getting easier). Dried rice / gf pasta plus a tin of sauce (add extra veggies / meat if available). I also have a tin of corned beef and a tin of tuna plus a tin of Big Soup. A tin of cream and a tin of fruit :)

Longlife milk is a basic requirement.

Having been caught out once (in England) where I could not get gf food at any price and even the pharmacy had to order in at 3 days notice we do try to take enough for two or three days with us*.

A lot of the supermarkets no longer guarantee their fresh meat / fish is not cross contaminated with gluten / nuts etc and any butcher that also sells pies is a no-go. for me :( So although baked goods are easier to get fresh produce is more difficult.

*One shop had a notice on the window "Gluten Aware" so I went in to be told they were aware they couldn't do it!!!!!! When I asked in the supermarket it was as if I had two heads and a tail. No one had a clue and there was no "free from" or similar section. Best place was the Outer Hebrides where even the library cafes had gluten free treats!

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Oh, I make up (different) spice mixes and take them to use in the slow cooker or wok /saute pan. Saves a lot of messing around and a few small bags (one bag = one slow cooker / wok / saute pan dose) in a small plastic box rather than several different jars and pots. When the labels become detached from the bags it can be quite a taste experiment.

Mar 2, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Lowline coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2000
The two things I find I can never get in France, and which haven't got any suitable French alternatives for us, are Robinsons orange squash and any brand of brown sauce.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
WELL , I just heard my new MH has finally arrived in the uk , pick up in10 days

FRANCE HERE WE COME ?

Thanks for all the info , kind regards Kenny d
Ten days of shopping for food to put in it. :) But congratulations, now concentrate on the important stuff like hoses, water connections, bedding, BBQs, MiFi, sim cards, apps for finding aires, SOGs and what to add to them apart from the obvious. :)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Peanut butter, high in protein, lasts forever, completely inedible if bought in mainland Europe.

Nice on toast mixed with banana.

Sep 15, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Ci Riviera 141 2003
Exp
Been around!
We take bottled water, tank water for washing etc. Coffee, tea and rice, pasta etc. I like to buy local, usually a great selection of local stuff even in a co-op. Gives me a chance to say hello to ppl and I feel I am contributing a tiny bit to compensate for my intrusion. Have some tins on the MH from when we bought it...yew!:sick:

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Peanut butter, high in protein, lasts forever, completely inedible if bought in mainland Europe.

Nice on toast mixed with banana.

Yes. Very versatile. I always go for the crunchy, sugar-free ones.

I was also introduced to the peanut butter and salad sandwich, which I thought would be a bit weird, but actually works very well.

And nice mixed with soy sauce to marinade chicken.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Pasta
Rice
UHT milk
Cous cous (tinned)
Chile con carne (tinned)
Baked beans
Ravioli
Mackerel in tomatoes (tinned)

Most of the above items are extremely well traveled ie the stay in the van and don't often get used, typically only in cases where we arrive very late to pitch up.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Home Bargains have some brilliant curry sauces (low carb = not full of sugar). Taran_Las Phil put us onto them, and we have at least half a dozen of them in the van.

We don't eat rice or pasta, so usually get fresh veg to eat with the curry. Other than that its baked beans, tinned tomatoes, and mixed beans. :)

Motorhoming in Europe usually means you don't need to rely too much on cupboard staples! (y)

OP
OP
Scotch mist
Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
Ten days of shopping for food to put in it. :) But congratulations, now concentrate on the important stuff like hoses, water connections, bedding, BBQs, MiFi, sim cards, apps for finding aires, SOGs and what to add to them apart from the obvious. :)

This is my second new Motorhome so have had most of the above for a while now Although not necessarily used yet , and not sure what mifi actually is ? , I do tether my phone to me iPad to use my data

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
Rather like the FB Pies this will not to everyone's taste but you might like to google parsleybox that are just like supermarket prepared meals that are ambient stored for up to 6 months. Worth buying a couple to keep somewhere just in case.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
This is my second new Motorhome so have had most of the above for a while now Although not necessarily used yet , and not sure what mifi actually is ? , I do tether my phone to me iPad to use my data
A mifi does exactly the same job as your phone but uses a separate sim card, either PAYG or pay monthly. For many folk just tethering to the phone is fine, especially now plans with lots and even unlimited data are available. The advantage a mifi has is it can be connected to an external antenna to give an improved signal, sometimes getting a signal where a phone can't.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
If you're taking tuna get the drained type as there's no fishy water to get rid of. I took 12 cans on the last trip ?
Other stuff I took was basmati rice, walkers crisps, tinned sardines for toast and margarine.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Gravy granules are like hens teeth! Only found some in Iceland near Guardamar in Spain - twice the price, but we’d been away for a year so I jumped on them! I know I can make gravy with stock cubes & thickener, but I likes Bisto! ?
You can always use Bovril. Available in every mercadona & some Carrefours. Doubles up on toast (y)or as a drink.
Only thing I'm never without is Tbags, coffee , sugar & uht milk.

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
I take Parsley ready made meals plus the usual teabags, pasta, long life milk, etc.
Phil

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back