Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Is it still possible to buy a Fonera box to use with iboost and get fon hotspots when on the go.

We a currently with virgin broadband and was looking at my options for when we are away. I was hoping to connect a fonera to our VB and join fon.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Secondhand Fonera boxes are available but seem to me quite rare. I bought one from a fellow Funster. It is a Fonera Simpl. The previous owner de-registered it with Fon and when I received it I re-registered it with no problems. When you have registered you can log on to a Fon hotspot using a mobile 'phone, tablet, etc. I have done that successfully in this country but have yet to try in France or Spain. I have put the Fonera back in the box as I could not see a use for it after I had completed the registration process. Other Funsters might tell me I have missed something and add to my comments.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Flamenca

I think officially the Fon box has to be attached to a router and live for you to be able to use the system when you are away from home.

The idea is that if you want the ability to be able to benefit from using the Fon facility whilst you are away then you are expected to make the same service available to someone within range of yours.

Doug

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks Doug. I did not realise that. Maybe I should get it out of the box :)

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Flamenca

I think officially the Fon box has to be attached to a router and live for you to be able to use the system when you are away from home.

Doug
Whats more I believe that if the "FON Network" can't see your FON device after a while you will not be able to log in, I had problems one time and when I got back home I had to reboot the FON device and all was OK.

Martin

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
You must ensure that the previous owner de registers with FON and you register if it is second hand. I belive only that latest model will do. Once bought you don't even have to switch it on, just register using the number on it. Occasionally you see unused ones on Ebay. I bought mine about 6 months ago from the states through ebay, not cheap but worth it if you are away from home a lot. I was with BT and was reluctant to leave because of FON. Now liberated hooray!

Dick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Whats more I believe that if the "FON Network" can't see your FON device after a while you will not be able to log in, I had problems one time and when I got back home I had to reboot the FON device and all was OK.

Martin
I've had that happen once, now before going on a trip I reboot it. It only happened once and it had been on for over a year so may have just been a glitch.
The Fontera rouoters have not been avalible for purchase for around 1 - 2 years.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back