Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Now I am a big fan of FON I’ve used it all over Europe for the last 4/5 years with a wifi extender. Greece in particular bristles with hot spots. Up till now i have enjoyed it by virtue of being a BT customer.

Now I am thinking of leaving BT. I heard of the FON box years ago but now can’t find anywhere to buy one. Even the FON shop doesn’t list them. BT got it sewn up? Any suggestions?

Dick

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I don't believe it's available any more ,but they appear to still provide a service for those that have a fonera router..
Possibly your best bet is to get one 2nd hand off an existing customer along with their log in details...
Andy

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As Andy says not available anymore only through their partners which in the UK is there is only BT.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
We have a mhw extender in France but cannot log in to fon without paying as it will not recognise by log in even putting the BT/ in front of email address I have bought a months sfr pass but would like to know how to get on with my by account

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I have the Fon box and can log on ok in France and Spain when I eventually find a Fon.

Is your router left on at home?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Others have commented on problems with a BT login, I don't get any problems with my Fon login.

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
I have the Fon box and can log on ok in France and Spain when I eventually find a Fon.

Is your router left on at home?
Yes seems that Bt app sees the mhw repeater not the fon it is connected to and alas I need to use the repeater at our cottage

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Yes seems that Bt app sees the mhw repeater not the fon it is connected to and alas I need to use the repeater at our cottage
You don't need an app, I use a long range aerial and a router, the router passes the signal through and browser home page diverts to the Fon partners login page.

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
You don't need an app, I use a long range aerial and a router, the router passes the signal through and browser home page diverts to the Fon partners login page.
Tried this sfr France page came up but would not accept Bt login phoned Bt the said I must use the app direct from phone and not with mhw extender!

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Any update?
We are back in France and I got straight onto Fon no problem using my iPhone. It seemed to time out however after a few hrs and later when I tried to join via the mac it wouldn't let me :(

Picked up my iPhone again and then same failure message came up but I've now discovered it seemed to have done that as it realised I was already logged on...??
Anyway I'm on using Fon :)

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Any update?
We are back in France and I got straight onto Fon no problem using my iPhone. It seemed to time out however after a few hrs and later when I tried to join via the mac it wouldn't let me :(

Picked up my iPhone again and then same failure message came up but I've now discovered it seemed to have done that as it realised I was already logged on...??
Anyway I'm on using Fon :)
So how do you log on in Europe. ? Are you directed to fons partner log in page ,ie SFR in France. .. then use your fon log in details to get access..
Andy.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
So how do you log on in Europe. ? Are you directed to fons partner log in page ,ie SFR in France. .. then use your fon log in details to get access..
Andy.
Yes but it's not in large letters and easy to understand, little words at the bottom of page.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
I use it at home when my VM 200Mb goes slow :) (yes seriously VM insist you sit in the same room as their router and show you that the speed is fast, leave the room and Sky 30Mb is faster) and I use my neighbour's BT signal.
I believe that it is no longer possible to sign up with Fon and it is a long time since the Fon box has actually been deployed on my network.
"Check if Fon has a telco partner in your country and sign up for broadband with them to experience the benefits of being part of the Fon WiFi Community. Once you subscribe, you will get a username to connect you seamlessly to all Fon hotspots worldwide." The only other option is to buy PAYG time.
For me as long as 3 are dumping their 12Gb abroad for £20ish then that is the simpler option. Open to offers for the Fun Username etc. if you are interested.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
No I have a Fon which the OP wants and will sell it and the account which is a solution to the OPs original requirement.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
No I have a Fon which the OP wants and will sell it and the account which is a solution to the OPs original requirement.
Aaah so you are willing to sell the Fon box too. That makes more sense.(y)

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Aaah so you are willing to sell the Fon box too. That makes more sense.(y)
I will sell the Fon box now. :) It has been disconnected for at least 18 months so no checks that it is online are being undertaken in the UK (well at best they cannot be very rigorous) as I last accessed Fon a couple of weeks ago (my son had borrowed my mifi).

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Given that they are now more collectors items you should easily get your money back on a sale, seem to be a wanted item.(y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I will sell the Fon box now. :) It has been disconnected for at least 18 months so no checks that it is online are being undertaken in the UK (well at best they cannot be very rigorous) as I last accessed Fon a couple of weeks ago (my son had borrowed my mifi).
I have never been able to connect when my Fon router has not been connected. A few weeks ago I was playing with a new wifi aerial and I couldn't connect to any Fon. Went onto the Fon site and checked the status of my router it said "not online", I rebooted my router it then showed up as connected on their site and I could connect to several Fon's.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
I have never been able to connect when my Fon router has not been connected. A few weeks ago I was playing with a new wifi aerial and I couldn't connect to any Fon. Went onto the Fon site and checked the status of my router it said "not online", I rebooted my router it then showed up as connected on their site and I could connect to several Fon's.
Curious, not my experience at all.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I thought that the box had to be online but the partners I.E. BT didn't.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I thought that the box had to be online but the partners I.E. BT didn't.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
I login as a Fon customer and have a sky email address so don't know where I am going wrong (or right :) )

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
This Fon we are on just now is FAB , can watch YouTube videos without any buffering :) Now if I just knew how to get itv catch up outside the UK that would be wonderful:)

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
We are now using our neighborhood Fon most of the time when here at home and when we can get it out in the van in the UK and France. We no longer have a land line telephone so no internet but have left our old talktalk router and the fonera permanently switched on and connected to the line even when out of the country for the winter. It has been like this for 15 months and to date we have had no problem logging in, and are using it now.
We also use a directional booster aerial and USB router in the van, I check the fon hotspots map when we know where we are going to stay to get a rough direction for the booster to point at, the speed and strength of signal vary a lot and can be great or next to useless so we have the 3 mifi as a backup.
Cheers
Ed

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
@Sheddy I to have a similar setup , as in i no longer have any internet at home now and use a family members BT info to login and access the BT fon hotspots , I use a MH-WiFi set up to achieve this and works well when we are in the UK , we have yet to venture into France / Spain .
ED can you tell me is the procedure to connect to Fon in France etc the same as im doing atm to access it in the UK ??

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
If you have a wifi booster there is an IP address clash between SFR and BT. I set my Motorhome router to 10.0.2.1 which avoids the clash, I think SFR is 192.168.2.1 and BT 192.168.1.1 can't remember which exactly as it was a long time ago I figured it out. I did read once that mh.wifi will not release the details to do the change to their extenders but that may be wrong now. Ask Adie.
I used to have sign in credentials for SFR & BT so would switch between them but now only have BT. The link for BT is very small at the bottom of the page when the FON page comes up in your browser. I have found that the BT app will not work when connected through the extender but will work on the phone when close enough.
If you are going to leave BT then you may lose the login capability, but you may not. As has been said I don't think Fon membership is available now. So you need either an SFR or BT account. ( Or a friend or relation who has one;)).
I regularly connect to Fon through a Rocket Aerial and router throughout Europe and in the UK.
Best of luck.
Steve

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I think I paid around £35 for mine and given the fact they are no longer available Zi would happily snap one up for around that price if you don't have one. It repays itself in no time. I use mine at home too, neighbour plugs it in.(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back