Fon (1 Viewer)

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
It's really disappointing that FON has discontinued the scheme but it's been a long time coming. BT have been trying to edge their way out of the scheme to go it alone under BTWiFi and I guess there was other pressures from other operators. Those buying Foneras were doing so to access data rather than be part of the community which was always going to happen.

Looking at the number of people who have viewed our Guide to FON I suspect we contributed in a small way and knowing what I know of Motorhomers usage from our EuropaSIM days we are pretty high demand subscribers!

FON have said "We confirm that the Fonera is no longer available . It will not affect the free roaming privileges from the Foneras owners account. Right now we have no plans to expire this benefit.". They have also said that the Fonera is still available form some of it's 'Partners' but are very vague on that point. Will a second hand Fonera from eBay or one imported from the USA work? Perhaps a Funster can shed light on that.

It was a great scheme while it lasted and one we championed right from the start of this business. I hope that funsters can continue to benefit from it for the foreseeable future.

Have checked out Fonera from Ebay especially the ones from USA and found that the postage was very expensive.

I eventually got one from a company in Madrid via EBAY but when I received it here in France I found that it was no longer supported by FON so could not be used on their system (it was an old model 2200A). When I purchased it the advert said it was new and unused, which it was, so no come back on the ebay seller..

Looks like I will have to blag someones BT details!!!

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
My fon access worked just fine this week using the web login from BT, clicked log in with fon
and away it goes just great

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I'm at home and online via Fon at the moment. My neighbour has my Fon box plugged in. Decided to get rid of TT at home so this now suits me perfect. Yes I know I'm now a cheapskate but hey ho :) I prefer to think of it as being practical :)
-)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
It's really disappointing that FON has discontinued the scheme but it's been a long time coming. BT have been trying to edge their way out of the scheme to go it alone under BTWiFi and I guess there was other pressures from other operators. Those buying Foneras were doing so to access data rather than be part of the community which was always going to happen.

Looking at the number of people who have viewed our Guide to FON I suspect we contributed in a small way and knowing what I know of Motorhomers usage from our EuropaSIM days we are pretty high demand subscribers!

FON have said "We confirm that the Fonera is no longer available . It will not affect the free roaming privileges from the Foneras owners account. Right now we have no plans to expire this benefit.". They have also said that the Fonera is still available form some of it's 'Partners' but are very vague on that point. Will a second hand Fonera from eBay or one imported from the USA work? Perhaps a Funster can shed light on that.

It was a great scheme while it lasted and one we championed right from the start of this business. I hope that funsters can continue to benefit from it for the foreseeable future.
I shouldn't worry about it too much because as far as I have found with it , it's a load of rubbish anyway, even if you can find a signal in Europe there's always a better one available.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I shouldn't worry about it too much because as far as I have found with it , it's a load of rubbish anyway, even if you can find a signal in Europe there's always a better one available.
Maybe your opinion, I have found excellent Fon connections in France, fast enough in some connections to be able use Skype with good video quality, I agree sometimes it can be a bit slow depends on the user of the Fon you are connected to as they have priority, even when it's slow it's fast enough for email. What I do find is it can be very slow at bringing up the login page, but once logged in it speeds up..

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back