LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I know this subject has had a lot of airing but I am just wondering what the current situation is. I would like to know whether the Fon router which does not need a BT user name and password is still available.

I do not have a landline broadband service but would like to connect to the FON network whilst 'roaming' if this is still a possibility.

Thanks in advance.

Baggers53

Free Member
Dec 30, 2013
Stafford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A FON router plugs into your home wifi router and shares some of its bandwidth.
I have had one for a couple of years and found it to be next to useless.
Unless you are very close to a FON "open network" signal you will not pick up anything.
You will be far better of with a decent mifi device.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I don't believe the fonera router which you purchased from fon is available any longer but someone might know differently. .
They (fon) do appear to still allow connection to their network for people that already have them.... last time I tried I got connected and know of others with a fonera who can still access the fon network..
You would still have to have or know someone that had a broadband service and was willing to let you connect the fonera up to...
Andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Flamenca

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks. I have a 4G mifi which is good but also want to be able to log on to FON as well.

OP
OP
Flamenca

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I don't believe the fonera router which you purchased from fon is available any longer but someone might know differently. .
They (fon) do appear to still allow connection to their network for people that already have them.... last time I tried I got connected and know of others with a fonera who can still access the fon network..
You would still have to have or know someone that had a broadband service and was willing to let you connect the fonera up to...
Andy

Hi Andy,
When I was in France last month there were a couple of locations where I was unable to find a mobile network signal but a couple of FON wifi networks popped up and it would have been good to connect that way.
I do not know anyone with a BT broadband service. Are you saying that if I attach a FON router to any broadband service it will provide me with a user name and password to enable me to connect to other FON wifi signals whilst roaming?
Chris

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Are you saying that if I attach a FON router to any broadband service it will provide me with a user name and password to enable me to connect to other FON wifi signals whilst roaming?

Hi Chris. .. basically yes.. if you have or can obtain a fonera with the email and log in details that are used with it then you can still access the fon network... it won't provide you with those details you will have to get them off the person who has it...as they are no longer available... hope that's clear
the fonera has to be plugged into a broadband router and seen on the system as been live so so speak or what im saying may not be possible... that's my understanding...
Just tried mine in house now and I was able to log in on fon free
Andy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Flamenca

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks @andy63
I will place an ad in the Wanted section for a fonera. I have read lots of postings by people who have not had success so maybe one will sell a router to me.
Chris

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back