Fon, again still won't work (1 Viewer)

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
Once you connect to "bt-wifi-with-fon", go to "wifi" in the android "settings". selecting the "btwifi-with-fon" network will bring up a box showing status, and the last item in the list will be IP address...

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It still sounds like an IP problem to me even though should connect if using DHCP.
Try using a static IP on you machine of a totally different range e.g. 10.1.0.1, it would at least prove the point.

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
It still sounds like an IP problem to me even though should connect if using DHCP.
Try using a static IP on you machine of a totally different range e.g. 10.1.0.1, it would at least prove the point.
That's fine, but unless the router's IP is set in the range to match the static IP that you choose, it aint gonna work... ie if the routers IP is 10.1.1.1 then setting the device to 10.1.0.1 is on the wrong subnet and wont work...
That's why I asked Chaser to confirm what the router is giving out via dhcp...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That's fine, but unless the router's IP is set in the range to match the static IP that you choose, it aint gonna work... ie if the routers IP is 10.1.1.1 then setting the device to 10.1.0.1 is on the wrong subnet and wont work...
That's why I asked Chaser to confirm what the router is giving out via dhcp...

Yep that was a silly suggestion I was think router WAN/LAN ranges. I always connect via a router, should put brain in gear before replying to posts.:)

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Right, might of been wasting everyone's time:( been walk round the village and its connecting to other people's bt , but comes up as bt wifi not fon and no login page, just works:doh:, but still won't connect to mine at home.

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
Hi Chaser
As per my post #43, "bt-wifi" is not the same as "bt-wifi-with-fon"...
In order to test your fon access, you need find another "btwifi-with-fon" hotspot - nothing else will do...
You can try using the Fon hotspot map here:
Broken Link Removed

Also, as a reminder, can you tell us what IP address you get when you connect to your own "btwifi-with-fon" via DHCP

Thanks
Steve

Last edited:
OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I can see BT Openzone, BT FON and BT Wi-fi hotspots, which one should I connect to?
We’re replacing the ‘BTOpenzone’ and ‘BTFon’ hotspot names with ‘BTWiFi’. Until we change them all, you can connect to any of these hotspots but we recommend using 'BTWiFi'.

Just found this on Google , might explain it, copied of bt page

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
That's really interesting...
All the routers local to me are "btwifi-with-fon", so allows me to test my Fon subscription & know it'll work abroad
If they are being renamed to just "btwifi" then I wonder if it'll still work the same...
I guess I'll have to wait till my neighbours have theirs changed and see...

Still doesn't explain why you can't connect to your own "btwifi-with-fon" though ????

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
If they are being renamed to just "btwifi" then I wonder if it'll still work the same...
That is a bit of a worry. BT seem to be trying to totally monopolise Fon in this country.

It seems reasonable that you should be a BT customer to be able to log onto BT Openzone or BT Wi-fi, but non-BT customers who are Fon customers should be able to log onto BT FON.hotspots.

If they all have the same name, how will you know which one to log on to? If it'd not a Fon site, it doesn't seem likely that your Fon email & password are going to be accepted.

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Download the Fon app and it acts the same as the Bt wifi app. Once you've registered and signed in it does it automatic.

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
That's fine, but I use Fon through my Win7 laptop as I have one of those long-range antenna things... I have found it to be great home and abroad, suiting us perfectly...

If you can use the android/iOS app it probably isnt an issue, but as usual Sod's law says its me and my setup that gets affected...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::):):):)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back